Help me find MacCready's hat

tomomi1922

A lot of military mods (that add camo pattern, recolor of stuff) seem to miss out that MacCready's hat is a very legit military cover, used extensively as official US Marines utility uniform cover.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/files/2006/05/l13929-1.jpgrothco-5631-marine-corps-cover-8-point-c

And nobody seems to attempt any recover of it. They must have missed it.

Now, I have been digging around to find the Vanilla texture file in FO4 database but no luck. Anyone knows any pointer? At least tell me which texture file it is in would help a lot.

I believe this is what you're looking for

Armor\MacCready\HatGO.nif

These shoud be the texture files for it

textures\Armor\MacCready\Mac_d.dds

textures\Armor\MacCready\Mac_n.dds

textures\Armor\MacCready\Mac_s.dds

Edited by JJ2198

I believe this is what you're looking for

Armor\MacCready\HatGO.nif

These shoud be the texture files for it

textures\Armor\MacCready\Mac_d.dds

textures\Armor\MacCready\Mac_n.dds

textures\Armor\MacCready\Mac_s.dds

Go easy on me, I am really borderline noob when it comes to this. Unless you provide me the exact files, do tell which texture file to look into. I use BAE and I have to open Textures.ba2 manually 1 by 1. So I am supposed to look under Armor, but I find nothing MacCready. For instance, I am looking at Texture2.ba2 now... all I see under Armor:

DC Guard

DogGear

Fatigues

FlightHelmet

so on.....

While at it, where do I find the nif file? I only see DDS

The texture files should be in

Fallout4 - Textures4.ba2

and the nif (Which is basically a mesh) is in

Fallout4 - Meshes.ba2

Though to be honest I haven't done any texture editing so I don't guarantee this is what you're looking for it's just what I believe is.

The texture files should be in

Fallout4 - Textures4.ba2

and the nif (Which is basically a mesh) is in

Fallout4 - Meshes.ba2

Though to be honest I haven't done any texture editing so I don't guarantee this is what you're looking for it's just what I believe is.

Thanks much. I don't think I will need the mesh for now. But it is nice to know where they are. I am learning (and successfully) did a few recolor edit for my own use. Although I do believe the GO nif is the wrong nif. At least for outfit, GO (not sure what it stands for) is the nif for inspection that is like a nicely folded outfit. But I think I can dig around.

Further digging, I found you gave me the wrong location. It is the MacCready outfit, not the hat. Not complaining, but still appreciating your effort :smile:

UPDATE: Based on the info given, I found the hat nif files (both male and female) and traced the material file to a link that goes to the texture file at "armor/macready/mac_(d,n,s).dds" which can be found in Textures4.ba2 like you said. So it seems that FO4 uses the same texture file for hat and outfit. So you were correct after all.

Edited by tomomi1922

The suffix GO is IIRC "Ground Only", its used for the world model of the item, as well as the inventory view.

The texture path your looking for is armor/macready/mac_(d,n,s).dds, the hat model your looking for is armor/macready/machat(m,f).nif

Thanks so much, going to give it a try.

Pffft, spent 2 hours still couldn't find the hat in Fallout4.esm. Was planning to make a standalone version.

Btw, how does giving me the texture/mesh path helping me find the texture and mesh? I use BAE and I have to slowly browse through the entire records. I am new at this, so if you can elaborate a bit more, would be awesome!

Edited by tomomi1922