Spy on Your Neighbors for Homeland Security

WizardOfAtlantis

iPhone app to report "suspicious behaviour"

Now, am I the only one that thinks that this is not only sick and twisted, but thoroughly un-American?

This seems to have one foot already over the Fascist Precipice, with the body (and mind, of course) already following into the void.

Look at the screenshots. "suspicious activity", "suspicious looking"...these things are so undefinable that every dingus with a chip on his or her shoulder could report anyone or anything for whatever reason. I mean, does this thing really work? Are they actually trying to be efficient? Is this another one of those Fascism Feelers they send out, seeing how much people are leaning in one direction or another so that the big "They" can ascertain what they can presently get away with?

What the hell's up with this thing?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the worst App i have ever seen, what if an idiot uses it? or someone paranoid? that would make everyone suspicious...

"Oh my god a arab guy, quick honey get the iphone!"

Seriously though I think this is stupid.

Not only is such a app a invasion of privacy, it can be trolled badly.

Not to mention if you wanted to report something you can just do what most people do, dial 911.

Quick, grab the iPad, I think I just saw a guy running down the street with an RPG...

Yeah, great idea... or I could just dial 911 and get a response 3x faster.

I'm pretty high on the paranoia scale, but still... that's just ridiculous.

I am not sure if there is anyone here who remembers the Senate Committee of UnAmerican Activities..but this sounds just like it.

You mean the House Un-American Activities Committee? Can't say I lived through it, but I do like to pretend I at least occasionally payed attention in history class.

(All joking aside, yeah, I definitely agree. And I did pay attention in history.)

I am not sure if there is anyone here who remembers the Senate Committee of UnAmerican Activities..but this sounds just like it.

You mean the House Un-American Activities Committee? Can't say I lived through it, but I do like to pretend I at least occasionally payed attention in history class.

(All joking aside, yeah, I definitely agree. And I did pay attention in history.)

LOL my mistake, was multi tasking and have now paid the price of split attention.

I am not sure if there is anyone here who remembers the House Un-American Activities Committee..but this sounds just like it.

Although I don't personally remember it (I'm not that old :tongue:) that was the first thing I thought of.

*sarcasm mode initiated* Well, it is for Kentucky... Lord knows they're such a severe target for all sorts of terrorist attacks. Next week they'll add a new feature to also report the overwhelming alligator threat.*sarcasm mode terminated*

Seriously though, this is why stupid people shouldn't ever be allowed enough money to pay a smart person to make them technology. It's one of those ideas that doesn't even seem sound on paper, and certainly won't be any good in practice, but is just good enough to make the paranoid types interested. When Kentucky taxes go up for homeland security costs... This will be why.

*sarcasm mode initiated* Well, it is for Kentucky... Lord knows they're such a severe target for all sorts of terrorist attacks. Next week they'll add a new feature to also report the overwhelming alligator threat.*sarcasm mode terminated*

Seriously though, this is why stupid people shouldn't ever be allowed enough money to pay a smart person to make them technology. It's one of those ideas that doesn't even seem sound on paper, and certainly won't be any good in practice, but is just good enough to make the paranoid types interested. When Kentucky taxes go up for homeland security costs... This will be why.

Hmm the tax reference is a really good point.If your in the security monitoring business related to Homeland Security , create an app that is going to cause a flood of security issue's to come in , then apply for increased funding because of all the extra work your app caused.Sneaky