Rules of Forum use?

lonewolfkai

So any type of posting of an image of ripped content is not allowed at all? Even if said image is void of any questions about where it came from, links to other sites that contain it, being advertised or promoted, or any other means of ability to share?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Showing off illegal content is advertising for said content...which leads to questions about how to obtain said content. So, back to the beginning, we don't allow illegal activity nor endorsement of it...and showing it off in a pic = advertisement for it.

Take for example the well-known distributor of ripped content...toxa01. What would you think if he hosted all kinds of illegal rips at various other sites and then only uploads images depicting them on the Nexus and says in the description "Don't ask me where to find these mods (unless via PM)" He would be tip-toeing around the rules to advertise his mods on the Nexus.

As for the "I own both games and can port between them myself", sure you can but distributing that content will get you into trouble. What would be the purpose of showing everyone you did this if you did not intend on sharing it? It is a fine line that is best you don't tip toe around...Orwellian or not.

It is the same reason we don't allow instructions on how to rip content from one game to another...yes, the info is legal but that would invariably lead to use of it and illegal distribution on these sites...thus causing more work for us to combat illegal activity.

It is one of those fine lines we don't care to get into here at the Nexus. Those that want to tip-toe at the fringes of the rules need to re-think what they are doing.

Showing off illegal content is advertising for said content...which leads to questions about how to obtain said content. So, back to the beginning, we don't allow illegal activity nor endorsement of it...and showing it off in a pic = advertisement for it.

Take for example the well-known distributor of ripped content...toxa01. What would you think if he hosted all kinds of illegal rips at various other sites and then only uploads images depicting them on the Nexus and says in the description "Don't ask me where to find these mods (unless via PM)" He would be tip-toeing around the rules to advertise his mods on the Nexus.

As for the "I own both games and can port between them myself", sure you can but distributing that content will get you into trouble. What would be the purpose of showing everyone you did this if you did not intend on sharing it? It is a fine line that is best you don't tip toe around...Orwellian or not.

It is the same reason we don't allow instructions on how to rip content from one game to another...yes, the info is legal but that would invariably lead to use of it and illegal distribution on these sites...thus causing more work for us to combat illegal activity.

It is one of those fine lines we don't care to get into here at the Nexus. Those that want to tip-toe at the fringes of the rules need to re-think what they are doing.

Can we get this stickied in the News, Rules and Feedback section? I think this is good plain English that would help to put a stop to a lot of that activity. Might even be good to sticky this to the Mod Talk section too. Though I'd change the title somewhat.

Thanks for defining the answer to this question(s) LHammonds, Dark0ne, and Myrmaad.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

Thanks for this post. I did not know you could not post picture with ripped content, but it makes sense now that is' explained. thanks for clearing that up for me I will be more careful, sorry :<.

sometimes it's hard to tell illegal mod from real one, some of them look good not bad like a 'game rip' . When someone makes a mod to look exactly like something from another video game that is not illegal is it? or is it only illegal if the actually take stuff from a game? Also some 'rips' are used with free materials, it that bad too? I don't want to get into trouble D:? sorry for the questions.

thanks again for explaining a lot of this

Thanks for this post. I did not know you could not post picture with ripped content, but it makes sense now that is' explained. thanks for clearing that up for me I will be more careful, sorry :<.

sometimes it's hard to tell illegal mod from real one, some of them look good not bad like a 'game rip' . When someone makes a mod to look exactly like something from another video game that is not illegal is it? or is it only illegal if the actually take stuff from a game? Also some 'rips' are used with free materials, it that bad too? I don't want to get into trouble D:? sorry for the questions.

I think this is a good example of why this needs to be stated somewhere in the TOS/forum rules, or at the very least stickied.

To answer your question, there's nothing wrong with making something that looks like it's from another game by your own hand and tools. Take Jojjo's Frostmourne sword for example.

The second question is a yes, that's even stated in the mod uploading rules I believe. If you copy any material from another game and put it into an oblivion mod, that would be considered a "rip" or illegal material.

Third question, I'm not so sure about. I don't see why it would be, but that game the free materials are made for might have explicit rules governing said free material.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

Thank you very much for clarity on this subject, I was wondering how in-dept the issue was here, Since reading this thread I now know what I need to do to keep my self and others out of said trouble. ah the fine line indeed, yes I do see a lot of that going on, But you also mention watchful eye's making reports? So where does the line start and end between reporting said falsified files Verses being branded as a Vigilante' ? This is a confusing set of rules that can be interpreted differently between view points of the many. One has really got to consider when using the report feature for such things that they may get or be branded in such in a manner of speaking up. Hammered or banned for such reports. So I would like some feed back on that appraisal ? if this makes any sense at all.

I think this is a good example of why this needs to be stated somewhere in the TOS/forum rules, or at the very least stickied.

To answer your question, there's nothing wrong with making something that looks like it's from another game by your own hand and tools. Take Jojjo's Frostmourne sword for example.

The second question is a yes, that's even stated in the mod uploading rules I believe. If you copy any material from another game and put it into an oblivion mod, that would be considered a "rip" or illegal material.

Third question, I'm not so sure about. I don't see why it would be, but that game the free materials are made for might have explicit rules governing said free material.

okay thanks for answering my questions. This makes sense now, I think that this rules should be stickied seems easy to get in trouble many people might be confused about these rules like I was. Or make pictures have a warning like the nudity one, where you have to check and make sure.

Don't be too sure about 'exact copying' either, sad though it may be, though generally, I think you're pretty much safe as long as the copy is for strictly non-commercial use - i.e you aren't going to try and make money with it.

I think this is why you don't see Daz and poser models based exactly upon well known art and game chars on sale.

If the rip is based upon free materials where the creator specified usage was ok then you're fine really, probably a case by case basis depending on their intentions.

@kirinann :

Well this is another reason why people shouldn't post those mods here, since people are getting lied to about who actually made it and end up breaking site rules.

Also, the days of bad looking rips have been over for quite a while considering the specs of the games out now...(unless the person doing the rip is clueless and botches it)

But again, this is why I think imageshare should be restricted to stuff that displays what nexus has available for download and derivatives of that - protects everybody, showcases Nexus content and doesn't advertise other sites.

Edited by greywaste

Guest deleted263027

Got a question here.

What if the person is not planning to distribute said mods (ripped contents) and wishes to keep it for him/herself, then posts the images from a purely aesthetic point of view? Even more so if the forementioned person have purchased the games that were subject of conversion. There is nothing illegal nor illegitimate about that.