Cannot get into the game

eleglas

So I installed Oblivion (GOTY Edition) about 2 days ago, after I formatted my computer, but I didn't install SI or Knights. But I decided I wanted to play SI, so I got the extra disk out, installed it, everything's fine; except when I load up the game (through OBSE), first thing I notice is that the first loading screen (the Oblivion symbol) loads MUCH slower; next when I try to load my save games, it instantly freezes.

After trying to fix it myself, I gave up on my save games, and decided to create a new game, but that doesn't work either. When I click "New Game", it asks me if I want to start a new game, I click Yes and NOTHING happens, it was like I clicked no instead, it doesn't do anything.

I can't patch SI or Knights cos I have GOTY and I have NO idea what's going on; I hate having to uninstall stuff, especially since I just formatted. I've tried disabling all mods, to no avail.

But does anyone have any other advice?

Thanks.

The Second disk of the GOTY - the Shivering isles disk has the latest patch built in. If you did not install that then your game was not patched. If you then installed a downloaded Oblivion patch - you blocked the Shivering Isles patch from installing - It seems that the Oblivion patch and the SI patch with the same version number are not compatible :rolleyes:

Next Where di d you install to? If you have WinXP the default location is fine. However, If you have Vista or WinXP the Windows UAC controls the default location and will cause problems with many things - especially mods. Best dsolution - reinstall outside of the default location - UAC dominated program files folders. Suggestion - reinstall to C:\Games\Oblivion This fixes many problems.

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=240

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

Now, do you have any mods installed? What are they and what is the load order?

I'm using Windows XP, mods are not the problem right now; I think it's what you said about the patcher. But I have a more pressing matter now; I tried to unistall the game, ran the uninstaller, worked fine. Tried to run setup to reinstall, I get a forced system restart. Happens whenever I run setup.exe. Tried to run it from launcher, but the disk thinks the game is still installed, has a play button and uninstall, but when I run either it says it's missing important things, BECAUSE IT JUST UNINSTALLED THEM!!!!

I can't get anywhere with this, I wish I never wanted to install SI.

I had a problem like this last year, and I couldn't resolve it.

The DVD uninstall method that is mentioned in bben46's excellent guide is the most reliable method of uninstalling Oblivion (here's a link to another description of the method). Don't neglect the CCleaner step ... leftovers in your registry can mess up your re-install.

@Striker: I used the JDFan post :thumbsup: to cross check if the CCleaner actually removed all of the entries when I first wrote the procedure. I'm kind of leery of telling someone who isn't familiar with editing the registry to go into it as there is a posibility they will delete something important. Or save a blank registry. :pinch:

So, if you do decide to edit manually, be sure to back up the registry first.

@bben46 ...gotcha, we're on the same page on registry editing. When and if I post that link again I'll be sure to use extra emphasis on the CCleaner recommendation. Good you're watching my back.

Do it again, this time try deleting the oblivion folder after moving any mods & after using the on disk uninstall.

The idea is to remove all traces of oblivion from your hard drive before running ccleaner. Be sure to reboot just before running ccleaner and again right after. When you remove Oblivion, rebooting flags any left over registry entries as orphans (not belonging to any program) then the ccleaner removes those orphans. Rebooting after allows Windows to do some housecleaning in the registry. At that point it should be as if you had never installed Oblivion at all.