Can't get Wyre Bash to start

NinjaPenguin7

Hello *waves*

I'm having a little trouble with getting Wyre Bash to start. I'm so sorry if this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a solution. I'm trying to install the FCOM thingy (I know.. what did a poor girl like me get herself into? Especially when I just barely figured out how to get the Akatosh Mount to work :P So be gentle :blush: ) and I'm stuck. It seems I'm doing everything else alright, but Wyre Bash does not seem to want to cooperate with me. I installed all the Python stuff (and I'm just following the instructions, so I don't remember all the Python name things) So anywho, my problem is I don't see any .py files in my Oblivion mopy file. I dl'ed the archive version of Wyre Bash, and when I went to unzip the files to the mopy file in Oblivion (I can see the .py files in 7zip) it didn't copy the .py files to the mopy. When I tried copy/paste, it asks if I want to replace the files- but they're not there :unsure:

I did the bugdump thing suggested in another thread here, and I get "no such file". I'm not sure what else to do... I see suggestions to "chdir" something, but I have no idea what that means or how to do it...

Can you guys help me out? Please use simple terms, as I am like brand new to this :)

(I just got myself off PS3 Oblivion and started playing on the PC..yay me ^_^)

Thank you sooo much in advance for any help you can give me. :happy:

Michelle

Hi Michelle. Wrye Bash can certainly be a pain to get installed, and working correctly...... You are not the first to have trouble with it, so, don't feel like the lone Ranger there. :D

An easy way to solve the issue would be to download the installer version. Just fire and forget. I think it even installs the required python packages. (but, don't quote me on that....) Give that a shot, and see if it doesn't improve its attitude some.

The chdir command is change directory in old time DOS speak (what we used to use before Windows). In a form it (DOS) is still alive today buried under layers of Windows interface (in the case of Windows 7 and Vista not entirely true, but those same commands us old timers remember fondly still are available in something called a "command prompt"). To get access to that command prompt you need to open a window to display it in modern operating systems (where everything is a window). In Windows XP we use Start --> Run --> cmd and hit OK ... in Vista and Windows 7 it's Start --> and in the Start Search box --> cmd then Enter. Either way opens up your command prompt in a black box (that's what our whole screen looked like back in the day, exciting to look at, no??). You will see Microsoft Windows version blahh blahh blahh and below that the command prompt C:\users\your_login_name> for the Vista and Win 7 crowd, and C:\Documents and Settings\your_login_name> for Win XP. Somehow you need to get that directory to be the path where your Wrye Bash and Python are installed. The change directory command does that.

Commands back in the DOS days accepted something called switches, extra bits added to the end of them to tell the command what to do or to do more than one thing at a time. The chdir (or more briefly cd which is the same command only even shorter to key in) can only change directories in a certain way. If at the C:\users\your_login_name prompt you key in cd \ (which means change directory to the root of the current drive, C drive in this case) your C:\users\your_login_name>cd \ will change to C:\> after you hit enter. You are now at the root (actually highest) level of C drive. You can now enter the entire path from the root to your Wrye Bash folder that has the mopy file they're looking for. I don't have Wrye Bash installed myself so I'm going to wing an example that you will need to change so that it matches the actual path to your installation. At that C:\> you'll key in cd Games\Bethesdasoftworks\Oblivion\Mopy and hit enter. Your prompt should now say C:\Games\Bethesdasoftworks\Oblivion\Mopy> and you'll enter your bugdump command from there. If you want, you can see the contents of the Mopy folder with a directory command (dir) and if there is too much to see all on one screen you add the page switch which will look like C:\Games\Bethesdasoftworks\Oblivion\Mopy>dir /p (notice the different directions of the forward slash for the switch vs. the backslash used in the path). If you really want to be the old time DOS pro when you're all finished with your command prompt work don't click the X in the top right to close out your command prompt session (now tell me that didn't sound good). At your command prompt key in exit and enter (C:\Games\Bethesdasoftworks\Oblivion\Mopy>exit then enter).

You'll have something to brag about after this ... "Yep, I'm a command prompt programmer" (puffs out chest and gives a taut inhale). Good luck and have fun.

Hi Michelle. Wrye Bash can certainly be a pain to get installed, and working correctly...... You are not the first to have trouble with it, so, don't feel like the lone Ranger there. :D

An easy way to solve the issue would be to download the installer version. Just fire and forget. I think it even installs the required python packages. (but, don't quote me on that....) Give that a shot, and see if it doesn't improve its attitude some.

Hello HeyYou and thank you for your reply :happy:

I tried the installer version before the archive version, and it did the same thing. (Except there's no 7zip window where I can see the .py files.) It's so weird because the .py files are right there in the 7zip thingy (so close yet so far... *sigh*) but it won't extract to the Oblivion moby file. When I try again, it asks if I want to replace the files, but how can it replace what's not there? :unsure: Also tried extracting to a temp file on my desktop, same thing. Wyre Bash still will not open. I don't think it likes me.. :confused:

So then I tried playing Oblivion just with OOO (followed the readme instructions and installed via OBMM) and the game crashed upon opening. The only other mods I have on my game are the Akatosh Mount, The Lost Spires, and Midas Magic.

I spent all day trying to get this to work and it's making me sad lol

Thank you again HeyYou :)

Michelle

The chdir command is change directory in old time DOS speak (what we used to use before Windows). In a form it (DOS) is still alive today buried under layers of Windows interface (in the case of Windows 7 and Vista not entirely true, but those same commands us old timers remember fondly still are available in something called a "command prompt"). To get access to that command prompt you need to open a window to display it in modern operating systems (where everything is a window). In Windows XP we use Start --> Run --> cmd and hit OK ... in Vista and Windows 7 it's Start --> and in the Start Search box --> cmd then Enter. Either way opens up your command prompt in a black box (that's what our whole screen looked like back in the day, exciting to look at, no??). You will see Microsoft Windows version blahh blahh blahh and below that the command prompt C:\users\your_login_name> for the Vista and Win 7 crowd, and C:\Documents and Settings\your_login_name> for Win XP. Somehow you need to get that directory to be the path where your Wrye Bash and Python are installed. The change directory command does that.

Commands back in the DOS days accepted something called switches, extra bits added to the end of them to tell the command what to do or to do more than one thing at a time. The chdir (or more briefly cd which is the same command only even shorter to key in) can only change directories in a certain way. If at the C:\users\your_login_name prompt you key in cd \ (which means change directory to the root of the current drive, C drive in this case) your C:\users\your_login_name>cd \ will change to C:\> after you hit enter. You are now at the root (actually highest) level of C drive. You can now enter the entire path from the root to your Wrye Bash folder that has the mopy file they're looking for. I don't have Wrye Bash installed myself so I'm going to wing an example that you will need to change so that it matches the actual path to your installation. At that C:\> you'll key in cd Games\Bethesdasoftworks\Oblivion\Mopy and hit enter. Your prompt should now say C:\Games\Bethesdasoftworks\Oblivion\Mopy> and you'll enter your bugdump command from there. If you want, you can see the contents of the Mopy folder with a directory command (dir) and if there is too much to see all on one screen you add the page switch which will look like C:\Games\Bethesdasoftworks\Oblivion\Mopy>dir /p (notice the different directions of the forward slash for the switch vs. the backslash used in the path). If you really want to be the old time DOS pro when you're all finished with your command prompt work don't click the X in the top right to close out your command prompt session (now tell me that didn't sound good). At your command prompt key in exit and enter (C:\Games\Bethesdasoftworks\Oblivion\Mopy>exit then enter).

You'll have something to brag about after this ... "Yep, I'm a command prompt programmer" (puffs out chest and gives a taut inhale). Good luck and have fun.

Thank you Striker879 for your input :)

I will try what you suggested when I have a little more time (where does the day go when a newbie like me is trying to install this supposedly awesome mod? :laugh: ) I greatly appreciate you taking the time to write that all out in as simple terms for me as possible :smile: It still looks a little confusing and very intimidating to me, but I will try to get through it slow and carefully and to the best of my knowledge (which is so not very much when it comes to these computer things :sweat: )

Thank you very much for your time, and I really hope it works ^_^

Michelle

Let me know if a more condensed just the pertinent points version would help and I'll take my smart guy hat off and fab one up for you (like a smart guy hat is going to do anything for me anyway ... sheesh).

I would just like to let you know I got it to work ^_^ I had installed all the Python things separately, and when I went to install Wrye Bash, it said I had all the necessary files and it let me install it..but then wouldn't open. So what I did was I uninstalled all Python things and Wrye Bash, and reinstalled with Wrye Python. Problem solved. :woot: :woot: :woot: