PNG file in place of DDS file?

tomomi1922

For texture like decals, is it safe to use PNG file over DDS file? I know people seem to dislike PNG but what makes PNG so bad comparing to DDS? I know it doesn't carry mipmap, but .... they are just logo/decal, rather small and light weight.

My main reason to consider PNG is that it can be easily displayed on a HTML page. I have no idea how to make DDS file to be used as an image file for HTML.

if you replace the .dds image with a .PNG it won't recognize it and will not show up. i'd recommend using Gimp to convert your .png to a .dds file

if you replace the .dds image with a .PNG it won't recognize it and will not show up. i'd recommend using Gimp to convert your .png to a .dds file

It is not about the conversion I worry about. Why do I need GIMP when I have Photoshop? If you did read, DDS will not display on HTML file. PNG on the other hand will, just like typical JPEG. The reason I even asked is because I recalled seeing some texture replacer using PNG, and one author even stated he is not using PNG (suggesting his mod is of higher quality?) So this is why I presume PNG does work. I just can't remember these mods to come back and look.

For image data concern, PNG does not degrade your quality like JPEG or GIF do, so converting anything to PNG and back, your image integrity stays the same. It has a lossless compression. I don't know about DDS, but I do presume it doesn't have a lossy compression, I just can't verify.

I swear I saw people trying to use PNG as texture file. But all my tests failed. So I guess no PNG.

Its like this: I'm trying to create a mod that allows people to upload their own decals. So I must develop an app to display existing dds (and allow players to upload new ones). And I have no idea how to code to display dds since its not a typical image format. So I thought of using PNG (PNG is also known to be used as texture file). But I guess FO4 doesn't like PNG.

I saw an odd tuturial that was talking about the old Targa format and something else, but it was using something obscure graphics software other than Photoshop or Gimp ...

You could always have people upload a JPG and a DDS (actually you need 3 dds files for fallout 4), but you have no way to insure that the JPG and DDS files match other than checking by hand.

It might be worth reading up on Image Processing (ImageMagick) and see if there is a fork that can handle dds file (assuming your using php to display the images). If your working with visual studio look to current dds plugins for photoshop and gimp to see if they can be used a library's inside your software.

I saw an odd tuturial that was talking about the old Targa format and something else, but it was using something obscure graphics software other than Photoshop or Gimp ...

You could always have people upload a JPG and a DDS (actually you need 3 dds files for fallout 4), but you have no way to insure that the JPG and DDS files match other than checking by hand.

You see, the point of the mod is so that people are not required to learn how to create mod (to create DDS file) or even to manually replace DDS file. I bet only about a good 10-20% of people who use mods really understand how mods work. So if I have people upload JPG and DDS, I might as well not create the mod, because it is easier for them just to replace the texture themselves. Yes there need to be 3 DDS files. However, if I set this up correctly, the template of all 3 files should already be there. People only need to update the diffuse DDS file. This is what I hope to achieve.

It might be worth reading up on Image Processing (ImageMagick) and see if there is a fork that can handle dds file (assuming your using php to display the images). If your working with visual studio look to current dds plugins for photoshop and gimp to see if they can be used a library's inside your software.

No, I am not going to use server side script. PHP is a server side script. All PHP does is to customize HTML files. What I hoped to do, instead of trying to create an .exe file, I just create an .html file that stays right on players' computers. And client side Java script is enough to handle the Upload and file name change. But javascript is not feasible to convert any image file to DDS (and auto create mipmap while at it).

I guess trying to be simple is out of the question.