Missing Water

I am not really sure if it even IS a mod..... I experienced the problem, and wasn't using ANY texture packs at all.

Well I found out one setting : uNumDepthGrids=1 causes the dissapearing problem. It was set to three, instead of 1. Which I think spaces out the distance the water tiles load. I didn't change that myself. Setting it back to 1 fixed it. However that other problem persists still. The water transparency isn't consistent when standing in or next to a water source... I'll see if I can't figure out whats causing that as well.

Cool! One down, one to go...... This is information that should be archived somewhere........ :D

Hah yeah it really should be. The other fix is : uSurfaceTextureSize=128 (which is the defualt setting) changing that up to the same size as fSurfaceTileSize=2048 fixes the transparent radius problem. Playing with some of the other settings has some intriguing results. But maybe I'll post those experimental values elsewhere.

Problem resolved.

I'm not up to speed on OBGE but here's a couple of excerpts from Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak Guide that may help (emphasis added):

bAllow30Shaders=0 - If set to 1, this option allows (but does not force) the use of Shader Model 3.0 on graphics cards which support it, namely Nvidia GeForce 6600 or newer, or ATI X1000 series or newer. This can potentially improve performance when using HDR rendering for example. Check your RendererInfo.txt file in your \Documents and Settings\User\Documents\My Games\Oblivion directory to see if your card supports SM3.0 next to the option '3.0 Shaders'. Note however that even by enabling this option, Oblivion still appears to use 2.0 shaders (check the 'PSTarget' and 'VSTarget' lines in Rendererinfo.txt). In any case, if you have one of the cards mentioned above, it cannot hurt to enable this option.

Update: To force the actual use of 3.0 Shaders after making the above change, you will also need to check your RenderInfo.txt file (see above), and on the last line of the file check which shader package it uses (e.g. Shader Package : 13). Then go to the \Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\Shaders\ folder and rename that particular package to something else (e.g. rename shaderpackage013.sdp to shaderpackage013._bak. Now copy shaderpackage019.sdp and paste it back into the same directory, and rename this new copy to the package name your card uses (e.g. rename it to shaderpackage013.sdp in this example). This will force Oblivion to use the Shader Model 3.0 shaders in the game, which may increase (or reduce) performance and typically shows no image quality difference.

[Water Variables]

bUseWaterReflectionsMisc=1

bUseWaterReflectionsStatics=1

bUseWaterReflectionsTrees=1

bUseWaterReflectionsActors=1

The above settings control the additional reflections possible on the surface of water areas. When set to 1, they allow nearby trees, objects, and other characters to reflect in the water. Note that this reduces FPS in busy areas, and that the additional reflections are only visible when you and the objects are closer to the water.

uDepthRange=125 - This option controls the depth of water visibility from above. The higher the value, the clearer the water appears, however some water glitches may also start becoming apparent, and FPS may be reduced as well.

bUseWaterDepth=1 - If set to 0, water becomes completely opaque (i.e. you cannot see into it at all from above). This can resolve some of the visual glitches which result from changing the uGridsToLoad value, and can also improve FPS, at the cost of some realism.

uNumDepthGrids=3 - Also appears to control the depth of water visible, with lower values making water less transparent. If set too high this results in glitches, but if set to 1 can resolve issues with the uGridsToLoad value being higher than 5 and improve FPS as well.

bUseWaterLOD=1 - If set to 0 removes all water.

fSurfaceTileSize=2048.0000 - Controls the size of the water texture grids. The smaller this value, the smaller the size of texture tiles, and the faster and more tightly packed the water ripples will appear.

Edited by Striker879

I am not really sure if it even IS a mod..... I experienced the problem, and wasn't using ANY texture packs at all.

Well I found out one setting : uNumDepthGrids=1 causes the dissapearing problem. It was set to three, instead of 1. Which I think spaces out the distance the water tiles load. I didn't change that myself. Setting it back to 1 fixed it. However that other problem persists still. The water transparency isn't consistent when standing in or next to a water source... I'll see if I can't figure out whats causing that as well.

Cool! One down, one to go...... This is information that should be archived somewhere........ :D

Hah yeah it really should be. The other fix is : uSurfaceTextureSize=128 (which is the defualt setting) changing that up to the same size as fSurfaceTileSize=2048 fixes the transparent radius problem. Playing with some of the other settings has some intriguing results. But maybe I'll post those experimental values elsewhere.

Problem resolved.

It has come to my attention here (thanks Striker879), that the report feature is also for suggesting info to be added to the Wiki..... If you would be so kind, gathering your fixes (and the problems...) into one post, and then reporting it for addition to the wiki would be a great idea.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've tried everything so far, the settings, tweaks, even the forcing of 3.0 shaders, and I'm still getting that circle of "clear" water, where there's no reflections.

Oddly enough I tried putting the uSurfaceTextureSize setting to 2048, but it returned to 128. I saw no difference in forcing the 3.0 shader file in the game, looks the same. Also, I'm not seeing character reflections either, probably another setting elsewhere stopping that. Anyone got any ideas?

fAlpha=0.5000

uSurfaceTextureSize=128

SSurfaceTexture=water

SNearWaterOutdoorID=NearWaterOutdoorLoop

SNearWaterIndoorID=NearWaterIndoorLoop

fNearWaterOutdoorTolerance=1024.0000

fNearWaterIndoorTolerance=512.0000

fNearWaterUnderwaterVolume=0.9000

fNearWaterUnderwaterFreq=0.3000

uNearWaterPoints=8

uNearWaterRadius=1000

uSurfaceFrameCount=32