Making modding easier

BlackZero500

Hey there. I found out something. I repacked some mods in the Game_Main.arc and then started the game. i got an error. That some sound files are not found. There was a path shown where the game searched for the files and its the path of the unpacked files from the Game_Main.arc. So i put the folders from the Unpacked version in my Native folder and it worked. So i got an idea. Isnt it somehow possible to just unpack all the Arc files and play the game unpacked? Well it would eat away a lot of space i assume, but what are a few gigs nowadays? It would make modding much easier if you could just drop in one file, or change one line in a file or something. Is this somehow possible?

So i put the folders from the Unpacked version in my Native folder and it worked.

If your theory is right, it is also possible to add files without unpacking arcs. So you just need to drop a file that you changed to appropriate folder (For example NativePC\param\pl\level\exp.plexp) and game should find it as the one higher to date.

But we have yet to test it, maybe its actually doesn't work.* Someone said that's how dmc4 modding worked.

As an alternative way someone can always make an unpacker, that will allow you to merge different mods together (if they have specified file paths), and work as mod manager.

*Edit:

Okay, i tested it out on slightly changed capcom logo. No, it doesn't work.

-I put id folder with changed capcom logo into nativepc and left original Initialize.arc. It didn't changed anything.

-I put whole id folder from initialize.arc into nativepc and deleted Initialize.arc. Game crashes with an error of not finding initialize.arc.

-I put id folder into different directories without deleting initialize.arc. Nothing seems to work.

-As last resort i put files from id folder into nativepc, and it didn't worked as well.

-I repacked initialize.arc with changed capcom logo, and it changed the logo as it should.

So no, i am sorry Black Zero, but no chances here. Only repacked archives work for now.

Edited by Guest

Well i tried to just extract the Files with ARC Tool and remove the game_main.arc. didnt work. I have no idea what went wrong but it keeps telling that it searches some sound files. And when im putting the Extracted files in the Native folder again then it works. I dont know if it will choose the loose files over the packed ones but i thought if it somehow looks for some files outside of the arc files then it has to be possible to make the game looking for all files outside of the arc files.

Thats the theory. But i dont have the knowledge to test it thoroughly.

EDIT: my guess is, somewhere in the files are "links" to the other files, like where to look for them. Maybe its possible to make the game look for the loose files first and then for the packed ones. or just for the loose files.

Edited by Black Zero 500

Doesn't work AFAICT.

Not really true, most files can be unpacked and uses if put in the correct folder where the game is point towards.

Most files when packed are using hash names which is mapped to the corresponding folders the ps3 have, mostly voice and sound files i've been working with and i know those work like enemy sounds for example which me and a few others are working on for the Japanese voiceover.

So yeah, unpacking and use those folders instead of the original files works, but im not sure about every file like models and stuff but i did some tests when messing around to get back the missing armors and weapons and the game sure took the unpacked npc's but you need to unpack

each and every npc for it to work, which is a lot more work than i got time for right now with 2 side projects and 1 main which is the japanese voiceover.

Hope this cleared some stuff up and helped some of you.

//CrazyLamer