Request to consolidate several file pages into a single one

BFG99

Yesterday, in conjunction with Corepc, Arkngt, and others involved with OOO and FCOM, I posted new versions of the Medieval Oblivion Balance System (MOBS) and related OMOBS. These are core components of OOO and FCOM.

Anyway, I noticed while uploading that there are at least three different MOBS pages.

This seems to have occurred because, when the original authors (JagaTelesin and Francesco) handed the project off to Corepc, they did not grant Corepc access to the first two pages. And the original authors have not been active in the community for some time.

As the authors clearly intended for Corepc to have all rights for this project, I would propose that the files, comments, etc. on the two older pages be archived on the current page, and the two older pages deleted. I think this would help eliminate some confusion.

By the way, there are several other cases where something of this nature could be done - Mart's Monster Mod has several pages, for example, as does Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, all because the original uploader left without giving a successor access. So, in a broader context, would it make sense to create a mechanism on TESNexus where users can petition for ownership of pages whose original authors have not logged in for over a year? (To regulate, I would think moderators or Dark0ne would need to decide whether to grant ownership.)

I think that would be a pretty useful thing to have so long as there was some means of proving that the petitioner has been given permission to assume control of a project.

I've got a couple of projects where this would have been a handy thing to have :)

It would mean extra work for the moderators. They would have to move the threads and files, wouldn't they?

It depends. If the comments and endorsements are to be preserved, then that would represent moderator work. But, the users themselves could move files. (For example, I'd be happy to copy the files from the previous two MOBS pages over as "Old Versions" on the current page. But I won't bother to do so unless this idea is taken up.)

The larger issue is simply "orphaned" pages where the original author has moved on, but the project is still active. To give one other example, here are all of the Mart's Monster Mod pages that could be collapsed into a single one:

Version 1.71

Version 2.01

Version 3.1

Version 3.55b5

Version 3.7b3 (current)

Optional MMM add-ons

Mart's trailer for version 2.0

And don't even get me started on FranOOOMMM/FCOM/UFCOM...

• 3 weeks later...

So, I guess that's a "no" then? Oh well, can't blame me for trying. :)

If any of the moderators or TESNexus personnel have interest, you might want to ping me. I haven't fleshed this idea much out but think it has some merit, at least for keeping the Nexus clean and dealing with a lot of the "orphaned" (i.e. owner is inactive) files.

I'm not sure it's an absolute no.. I think we need to think it through some more, though. What if you could have a link to previous or even obsolete files. (That happens more than you would think, for example there was a little mod called Clean Quit I believe, it was done again, and the author of clean quit noted on their mod description that a new mod (with link) had made the author's mod obsolete.)

This is sort of the reverse situation, but it is a "related" mod, and it would be good to address these types of situations.

Both my file uploads could benefit from a reference to prior related mods, especially if my versions weren't to the taste of the downloader, but the originals may be.

I am not quite so sure about taking ownership of the files themselves though.