An Odd Crash

WezEllison

I've just bought magetallow candles for the altars in Frostcrag, Thought I'd make myself a spell then all of a sudden the game crashes as soon as I pick an effect, I thought it'd be something that changes anything to do with magic, so I remove "Origin of the Mages Guild" & "Spell Ranks" then it does it again, I've got no magic overhauls that could change anything & I've never come across this in the past. I've tried BOSS, as I thought it could of been the load order but that's running fine.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

First questions:

(1) Do you have the unofficial Patches installed? They do a lot of bugfixing. One for Oblivion, one for Shivering Isles and one for the Official Mods.

(2) Do you have Winston Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System (weOCPS) and Fastexit installed? You'll need OBSE for thosem and the former really helps stability a lot on my system.

(1) Do you have the unofficial Patches installed? They do a lot of bugfixing. One for Oblivion, one for Shivering Isles and one for the Official Mods.

Ans:- Yes, but I've never come across the crash even before the UOP was even released.

(2) Do you have Winston Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System (weOCPS) and Fastexit installed? You'll need OBSE for thosem and the former really helps stability a lot on my system.

Ans:- Yes, they prevent *known* crashes, I've never known this crash to happen before, until now.

Given your answers to the previous questions, my bet is that your problem is with you to stay (possibly). By that I mean that it's in your saved game, regardless that you have removed those mentioned mods. The only thing I can thinks of that may help (and may not) is to create a clean save. Open the console and type:

coc center

set timescale to 30

saveini

Now wait for 4 whole days. Once you have waited, type into the console:

save "NewSaveName"

wait 'til your game has saved and type

qqq

Note it is important to quit to the desktop.

Now restart the game. Load in your new save and wait for a further four days, and save again. Now fast travel back to Frostcrag and try again.

I've tried everything you've said, word for word & still no luck. I appreciate the help though, thanks.

What does teleporting to coc center & waiting 4 days do anyways? I've not heard of that method before.

Going and hiding in some far off cell, and waiting for a few days, gives the world a chance to "reset". (vanilla respawn is 3 days. Waiting a little longer makes sure it happens.) This effectively removes any corrupted spawns. Hopefully.

Can you go to the Arcane University, and use the Spell making shrine there without a crash?

Going and hiding in some far off cell, and waiting for a few days, gives the world a chance to "reset". (vanilla respawn is 3 days. Waiting a little longer makes sure it happens.) This effectively removes any corrupted spawns. Hopefully.

Can you go to the Arcane University, and use the Spell making shrine there without a crash?

Sorry about the extremely late reply, No I've tried all forms of spellmaking & they're all causing the crash. I think I'll ignore it for now & not make my own spells.

I will remove all mods and turn each of them on, one by one till I find the culprit.