Bringing the LoS indicator from XCOM2 to LW/EW

tracktwo

Did you happen to get a save file with the bug? This one might be tough to track down without a save that shows the exact conditions.

Unfortunately not, sorry. When I saw it I assumed it was a suppression thing that would happen every time. I'll save the next time I see anything odd.

How hard would it be to add a new LOS indicator to the units (like maybe a little cross hair target or something that can appear next to the eye)? Or maybe even just change the alien health colour instead of displaying the blue eye?

I can't help but get a little freaked out when it looks like all the aliens are on overwatch! And yes I know about the red/blue flashing for real overwatch. Maybe I just need to get used to it lol.

That would be fairly tough to make a custom icon here, as custom ui work is a real pain in EW. I wanted it to be attached to the unit flag, and there isn't much available that I can reuse here without interfering with other functionality.

Other things could be changed, as long as you stay within the confines of the existing ui. So changing the health colour is possible. My original prototype used the EKG animation for panicked units, but that was not great because there was no way to indicate both visibility & panic.

I also wanted to bring this mod to EW, but the code for showing the overwatch icons isn't enabled on aliens there. I could try to reimplement what LW did, but I was considering putting a little ring around the units instead. E.g. maybe the hunker down visibility range ring, shrunk down to just surrounding the enemy itself. I'd add a config var so you can choose the one you prefer in LW.

Would you prefer differently coloured HP over the ring? I could probably do both and again allow configuration in the ini.

BTW thanks for all the debugging and suggestions, its a big help. I also have fixes for the first two issues you reported and will post an update probably after working out the ui. If you don't find any major bugs before that I'll probably make that 1.0 and upload to nexus to let more people take a crack at it.

Or you could color the alien, like it happens when an unit is in a blast radius of some explosive stuff (temporary material change).

Glad to help.

I actually quite like the ring idea. You could probably use the standard unit selection ring instead of the hunker down one (which would probably interfere with my "Alien Sight Range mod" :wink:)

Hey you -- not soooo fast!

Spreaking of Alien-Sight-range indicator... any **easy** way to change that ring for the much less flashy "Distortion Field" (Psi-effect) animation (semi-transparent with tiny sparkles) ?? Cuz, it simply is a direct match with the Radar "excentric-circles" glower morph-sprite.

Edited by Zyxpsilon

Great idea on the selection ring, that's what I ended up going with. The indicator style is now configurable, and I've defaulted it to a ring so that the same .u can be used for both LW and EW. There are also three colours to choose from for your viewing pleasure, green (default), orange, and gold.

I got excited that there would be more options because there are additional variables listed for indicator materials, but some of them (e.g. purple) aren't actually implemented - the material doesn't exist. But if Drakous79 can make some progress in adding new materials, there's more options here for brand-new indicator styles.

1.0 is now up on github and also here on nexus.

Thanks. Squadsight is a weird one, and isn't currently handled, right now it shows actual soldier vision range only but I might be able to fix that. It's frequently tough to get both the enemy and the target tile on screen at the same time in squadsight range, though, so you can't even see the indicator a lot of the time.

I'll bug you about it if I run into problems :)