Can't Install OBSE with the D2D downloable game

jallard

Yesterday i decided to reinstall Elder Scrolls IV, from Direcr2Drive. After several hours of downloading and installing the game, its DLC's and several mods I had forgotten about OBSE. So, I went to the website downloaded it and installed it into the Elder Scrolls IV main folder, where the game .exe is located. However, it would not activate. A pop up stated that the game was copyrighted and therefore would not allow me to execute OBSE's executable file to install it. The thing is it has installed it in the past. Does anyone know a way around it? Or, am I doing something wrong? Thank you.

OBSE is not compatible with the D2D version of the game, due to the encryption on the executable. (oblivion.exe) There is no fix for it. It simply won't work.

Strange, because I had it working once before --before I had to reformat the hard drive and lost mostly everything. As a radical nonconformist I find it disdainful that D2D would do that. I bought the game. It's my game now. I should have the right to do with it as I will. One thing is certain, it convinces me not to ever by another downloadable game ever again. Perhaps, that is why I was upset when I bought the disk version of FNV and then realized that it was a downloaded version from Steam. Still, Steam doesn't encrypt the .exe: thank God.

Not with a D2D version. OBSE has never supported it.

It just part of the whole DRM thing..... the bane of honest gamers everywhere. At some point, game companies may figger out that DRM actualy COSTS them sales..... since all it does it make it difficult for honest folks to play the games.

It just part of the whole DRM thing..... the bane of honest gamers everywhere. At some point, game companies may figger out that DRM actualy COSTS them sales..... since all it does it make it difficult for honest folks to play the games.

I suppose you're right. As it happens when I first installed FNV --despite it being downloaded from Steam -- I installed several mods including the NVSE before playing a single game. So, I have never played a vanilla FNV game. And, hopefully when Skyrim debuts I will do the same.

Ahhh ... the eternal dream. As long as game publishers control distribution we'll have DRM. It's hard to quantify lost sales vs much easier to do so with pirated vs sales figures. I look at it this way. I save money by not needed to buy the game. I save money by not needing to build a new machine to run that game (and poor Bill Gates gets no loving from me either). I win, they lose. If they ever figure out how modding keeps old titles like Oblivion alive I'll probably be in trouble.

Ahhh ... the eternal dream. As long as game publishers control distribution we'll have DRM. It's hard to quantify lost sales vs much easier to do so with pirated vs sales figures. I look at it this way. I save money by not needed to buy the game. I save money by not needing to build a new machine to run that game (and poor Bill Gates gets no loving from me either). I win, they lose. If they ever figure out how modding keeps old titles like Oblivion alive I'll probably be in trouble.

Actually I listened to an interview recently on GameSpot with the lead developer of Skyrim and when he was asked if they were going to put out a Creation Kit along with the game, he said, "yes!" He also went on to say that they at Bethesda appreciate the modders out there. He went on to say further, "we learn a lot from modders."

You know too, as bad a game as Dragon Age 2 turned out to be, before the game was out in public two weeks people were making mods --even without a kit --which Bioware claims they won't be releasing any time soon. Ever since they were bought out by EA the quality of their work has drastically declined. But, that is another thread in and of itself.

Stardock (who have the Impulse version of Oblivion, also DRM encrypted) were at the forefront of the anti-DRM movement at the developer level. Even they have needed to kow tow to the publishers to make the selection of games at Impulse viable from a business standpoint. At the risk of offending the accountants in the crowd, the obsession with measurable lost sales loses sight of the sales they lose to people like me. The only way we could swing the pendulum in our favour is a successful mass email campaign explaining why each of us has decided not to buy their latest release. If all subject lines in the emails contained an easily searchable phrase our numbers could be counted. The true pro-DRM crowd would undoubtedly find some justification to sell their products regardless. As long as the developers/publishers of DRM software can make money we'll have DRM.

Stardock (who have the Impulse version of Oblivion, also DRM encrypted) were at the forefront of the anti-DRM movement at the developer level. Even they have needed to kow tow to the publishers to make the selection of games at Impulse viable from a business standpoint. At the risk of offending the accountants in the crowd, the obsession with measurable lost sales loses sight of the sales they lose to people like me. The only way we could swing the pendulum in our favour is a successful mass email campaign explaining why each of us has decided not to buy their latest release. If all subject lines in the emails contained an easily searchable phrase our numbers could be counted. The true pro-DRM crowd would undoubtedly find some justification to sell their products regardless. As long as the developers/publishers of DRM software can make money we'll have DRM.

Today, I think, with the consoles becoming more prevalent and the mere fact that there is a younger crowd utilizing these consoles, some game developers/publishers are gearing their new releases toward them. Apparently they believe that consoles have a larger market share. Evidence Bioware's new release of Dragon AGE 2. Obviously geared toward a younger crowd what with the fast Mortal Kombat style of fighting and the quantity of battles within the game. In my point-of-view, the numerous battles were extremely over the top and really not worth the $60 I paid for the game. Bioware/EA are intent upon changing the way RPG games are developed and played: and there is little doubt that cost plus revenue is their incentive --even at the cost of losing faithful gamers. Personally, I rather hope they sink to the bottom of the Ocean among the whale dung.

Today, I think, with the consoles becoming more prevalent and the mere fact that there is a younger crowd utilizing these consoles, some game developers/publishers are gearing their new releases toward them. Apparently they believe that consoles have a larger market share. Evidence Bioware's new release of Dragon AGE 2. Obviously geared toward a younger crowd what with the fast Mortal Kombat style of fighting and the quantity of battles within the game. In my point-of-view, the numerous battles were extremely over the top and really not worth the $60 I paid for the game. Bioware/EA are intent upon changing the way RPG games are developed are played: and there is little doubt that cost plus revenue is their incentive --even at the cost of losing faithful gamers. Personally, I rather hope they sink to the bottom of the Ocean among the whale dung.

My sentiments exactly. :D Excellent post.

Consoles ARE more prevalent than pc gamers now. So, a fair few games are developed with that in mind.

Also, the pirates don't restrict themselves to just PC games. The XBox version of Fallout 3 was on the pirate sites 3 WEEKS before the official release. DRM just doesn't matter. Games are still pirated. Generally shortly after release, oftentimes though, they hit the pirate sites FIRST. (Spore being another prime example)