Was Wondering

Zerotix

I've been downloading and using mods for several games now. I started with Oblivion, got used to the Mod Manager, played through the game at least four times. After playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I've decided to play through Oblivion again until Skyrim comes out (November :D)

What I never did was teach myself how to learn the modding tools to keep my mods from colliding or coming up with one of my very own. I wish I had, but I have no patience.

I'm hoping to change that. I was wondering if someone could walk me through the downloading and installing mods properly. I feel like I spend more time trying to get mods to work than I do playing the game. I have Skype, TeamSpeak, Vent, etc. It would be great to learn a thing or two about the mods Ive been using for over 4 years now. Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been downloading and using mods for several games now. I started with Oblivion, got used to the Mod Manager, played through the game at least four times. After playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I've decided to play through Oblivion again until Skyrim comes out (November :D)

What I never did was teach myself how to learn the modding tools to keep my mods from colliding or coming up with one of my very own. I wish I had, but I have no patience.

I'm hoping to change that. I was wondering if someone could walk me through the downloading and installing mods properly. I feel like I spend more time trying to get mods to work than I do playing the game. I have Skype, TeamSpeak, Vent, etc. It would be great to learn a thing or two about the mods Ive been using for over 4 years now. Any help is appreciated.

What? Here is what I do, I hope it helps a bit.

I download Oblivion Mod Manager. Then for many mods, all you gotta do is copy the data, paste it in the Data folder. Then on Oblivion Mod Manager, you'll see a new line of text as list of ESP, pop up. Check mark it, and it will now load the next time you star Oblivion. Other mods have different installation directions, just follow their readme or whatnot.

What? Here is what I do, I hope it helps a bit.

I download Oblivion Mod Manager. Then for many mods, all you gotta do is copy the data, paste it in the Data folder. Then on Oblivion Mod Manager, you'll see a new line of text as list of ESP, pop up. Check mark it, and it will now load the next time you star Oblivion. Other mods have different installation directions, just follow their readme or whatnot.

Oh I'm very familiar with downloading and installing mods, I'm just having trouble with this one in particular. I used it before, but it was almost 2 years ago. I follow the ReadMes, I use the BOSS loader, and I follow directions, but everyone gets errors and crashes, but I'm not capable of finding out what causes it or how to fix it and I end up uninstalling the game and starting over. It's a bit frustrating :/

Which mod are you having problems with installing? And it would help if you posted the exact error message/s that you are getting.

Which mod are you having problems with installing? And it would help if you posted the exact error message/s that you are getting.

Okay well this time I'm not getting error messages. Qarls Texture Pack is simply not working. The textures are still the vanilla textures.

BUT, usually when I start to get heavy with the mods, my game DOES start to crash. It hasnt happened yet, so right now I'm just looking for help with the texture pack.

Done anything with archive invalidation? Sometimes it can be a real trick to convince Oblivion just what files you want it to use. :D Oblivion mod manager, and Wrye Bash both have options to accommodate this, and using OBMM to install texture packs is a REALLY good Plan. :D

Yep, I use OBMM for everything. The ReadMe said to switch it over to Redirection instead of alteration, so I did that, but it didnt work. I tried as many settings as I could with the AI settings. It doesn't wanna load lol

EDIT: I'll try that now Hickory.

EDIT2: And it didn't work :/

Edited by Zerotix