Turning Covenant residents into settlers - after killing them all?

GnatGoSplat

Ended up being forced to kill all of Covenant's residents at the end of Human Error. It was too bad, I kind of liked their overly-friendliness and the nervous ones were kind of cute. Now I have Covenant available as a settlement, but then I had the idea that instead of repopulating Covenant with the same dirty, ugly, and familiar faces as are in all my other settlements, maybe I can resurrect the dead residents, remove them from the Covenant faction, and maybe they won't be hostile and I can have them as unique named settlers.

First, I tried placeatme to make a clone. No good, the clone doesn't acknowledge my existence when I go up to them and hit Talk.

So I tried resurrect and recycleactor on the corpses. The two commands seem to have the same result except recycleactor unquips their clothing (fast travel away and fast travel back fixes that). They aren't hostile, even if I don't remove them from the Covenant faction. They respond to Talk. Ted, Swanson, and the two Settlers are the only ones that can be highlighted in Workshop mode. Only Ted and the two Settlers can be assigned tasks, and assigning them to something (like crops) enables their Trade option. However, I can't trade or assign any of the other named characters to anything. I tried removing them from Covenant faction to see if that would do anything, but it doesn't. Any ideas?

I think there should have been another option to keep the residents, maybe a high-level persuasion check to persuade them synths aren't all evil. Or a high level threaten check to convince them to succumb to your leadership or die. I feel like a lot of the nervous residents might have preferred that option over death.

After I'd killed them, I had the idea that if you're aligned with the Institute, maybe it would have been cool if you had the option to repopulate the town with synth clones of the original residents.

Edited by GnatGoSplat

yeah, I resurrected Penny and Talia, removed them from the Covenant faction and added them to the Player faction, but I can't get the workshop to count them as population. Even tried "setplayerteammate 1" to make them Companions, but they didn't have a dismiss option, so I had to use the console to drop them again, which doesnt count as sending them to the settlement...

Hmmm, I hadn't tried adding to player faction. I just tried that and all chaos ensued, lol! Saw Talia standing outside so I tried removing her from all factions and added her to player faction as an ally. She suddenly decides to attack Swanson, then she went into Covenant and the turrets started attacking her and everyone comes out and starts shooting at her till she dies. So then I resurrect her and do the same to Jacob, so they're both getting attacked by turrets and everyone else is hostile to them. The whole time I'm just watching as no one is hostile towards me at this point, but then suddenly there's a message "Covenant is no longer allied to you" and at this point everyone turns hostile against me, including the spawned settlers and visiting provisioner from another settlement!

So I guess removing all factions and adding to player faction isn't the way to go!

Is there a console command to show a targeted character's factions? I didn't see any such command in the console commands list.

Hmmm, I hadn't tried adding to player faction. I just tried that and all chaos ensued, lol!

heh yeah that happens if you don't RemoveFromAllFactions everybody first- otherwise the ones added to your faction still think Covenant is pissed at you and go aggro on anyone they think might be Covenant aligned, and vice versa...

I uhh, did sorta find out you can use RemoveFromAllFactions on someone before you resurrect them though...

Yeah, how it works is pretty strange. They stay friendly towards my companion and me even if they're still Covenant-aligned. They only turn hostile against someone who is aligned with just player as ally with no other alignments.

I did end up going to the trouble to removeallfactions from everybody first, including the turrets as they'll go aggro against the turrets once they're aligned to only the player. This works the best as nobody cares if I'm caught stealing. In fact, removing only the Covenant faction still makes people turn hostile if I get caught stealing. So there must be a different faction for them to be in, for stealing to drive them into a murderous rage.

A lot of people are removing the turrets and replacing them, but I tried that and had the hardest time getting the turrets in just the right place. They just won't place unless they're a bit off which bothers me. They still function properly when removed from all factions and allied to player, and I've installed a mod to reduce radiant attacks, so I'm not too worried about them not counting towards defense.

Still never figured out how to get the named residents (other than Ted) to be able to trade or assigned to tasks. I'm guessing that's probably set via some variables or quest flags.

The wiki indicates the quest ends when you've talked to Honest Dan or Old Man Stockton. Did you talk to either of them? Is the quest completely off your list now?

I'm not sure if you have to kill the residents or not. They turn hostile so you're pretty much forced to, but I don't know if it would have been possible to access the workbench before they're all dead or not.

Edited by GnatGoSplat

The wiki indicates the quest ends when you've talked to Honest Dan or Old Man Stockton. Did you talk to either of them? Is the quest completely off your list now?

I'm not sure if you have to kill the residents or not. They turn hostile so you're pretty much forced to, but I don't know if it would have been possible to access the workbench before they're all dead or not.

It's not- I originally sniper killed everyone except Talia, then waited for her to go to sleep and snuck into town and used RemoveFromAllFactions on her to make her friendly, but still couldn't access the bench until I killed her.

"just look at the flowers, Talia..."