The Witcher 2 coming to consoles

Retribution

Consoles aren't really the problem, developers see console gamers as mindless idiots so dumb everything down. There is no technical reason why Oblivion held the players hand from start to finish, no reason why Crysis2 had to be tunnelware, and hardware didn't force crappy dialogue via the derp wheel in DA2. If CD Projekt treat console gamers as people who just made a different hardware choice rather than dribbling halfwits then everything should be fine.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no reason why Crysis2 had to be tunnelware

Crysis 2's graphics were too good to have large, open areas in the console version.

If CD Projekt treat console gamers as people who just made a different hardware choice rather than dribbling halfwits then everything should be fine.

Most of them aren't people who just made a different hardware choice. Console gamers are more "casual" than PC gamers.

no reason why Crysis2 had to be tunnelware

Crysis 2's graphics were too good to have large, open areas in the console version.

If CD Projekt treat console gamers as people who just made a different hardware choice rather than dribbling halfwits then everything should be fine.

Most of them aren't people who just made a different hardware choice. Console gamers are more "casual" than PC gamers.

Graphics can be streamed in, RAM is a problem with consoles but there are ways around it. There are open worlds on consoles that look just fine, Bethesda and Rockstars games spring to mind. Crysis2 was made linear so the player could be led around by the nose, it was a design choice.

The difference between console and PC gamers is choice of hardware, that choice could made due to cost, lack of space or ease of use. To suggest that console gamers are more casual is silly, for a start we (PC gamers) play exactly the same games and the PC has more casual games than any other platform. I do 90% of my gaming on the PC and have given up with mulitplayer completely, why? because the same morons that infest PSN and XBL can also be found in great numbers on the PC. I prefer the PC because of the higher framerates and mods, not because I'm under the delusion that somehow it makes me hardcore.

The difference between console and PC gamers is choice of hardware, that choice could made due to cost, lack of space or ease of use.

Or because they're one of the people who have no clue what PC gaming is like. Go check out the Xbox Republic for that.

"GAMING ON THE 360 IS BETTER CUZ IT DOESNT COST 10 THOUSAND DOLLARS TO UPGRADE LIKE UR COMPUTER AND IT DOESNT GET THOUSANDS OF VIRUSES"

the same morons that infest PSN and XBL can also be found in great numbers on the PC

There are a lot less of them. The average age for console gamers who play multiplayer is certainly several years less than the average age of PC gamers who play multiplayer.

not because I'm under the delusion that somehow it makes me hardcore.

Neither am I. I just play mostly on the PC because it's better in most ways.

Edited by Retribution

The difference between console and PC gamers is choice of hardware, that choice could made due to cost, lack of space or ease of use.

Or because they're one of the people who have no clue what PC gaming is like. Go check out the Xbox Republic for that.

"GAMING ON THE 360 IS BETTER CUZ IT DOESNT COST 10 THOUSAND DOLLARS TO UPGRADE LIKE UR COMPUTER AND IT DOESNT GET THOUSANDS OF VIRUSES"

the same morons that infest PSN and XBL can also be found in great numbers on the PC

There are a lot less of them. The average age for console gamers who play multiplayer is certainly several years less than the average age of PC gamers who play multiplayer.

not because I'm under the delusion that somehow it makes me hardcore.

Neither am I. I just play mostly on the PC because it's better in most ways.

There are an equal number of spoilt annoying children on both PCs and consoles. In fact sometimes it's worse on the PC because you also get more people who take everything far too seriously, proving they're hardcore I guess. You do get idiots who don't understand PC gaming but you also get PC gamers who are equally ill-informed. As I said both PC gamers and console gamers are playing exactly the same games, with the exception of the few games that can be modded the only difference is eye candy and maybe a different control scheme. Something else those in a rush to pigeonhole everybody forget is that a lot of PC gamers also own consoles, which hole do they go in?

Honestly those who miss out on titles because they refuse to use particular piece of hardware are hardly dedicated gamers.

i dont see the big deal, i never played the first Witcher but im gonna get Witcher 2 when it comes out looks good maybe ill get the 1st..... maybe. doesnt look as good as the 2nd imo.

The first was really good, the combat wasn't exactly fantastic but thats been redone for the sequel.

Don't know about dumbing down, but at least we had more dialogue options back in the day.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2eg88ro.jpg

That's a really silly pic to compare, considering that in the past you didn't had voice actors doing the majortiy of dialouge. Now that there are voiced protaganists, you can't write the enitre scripts on the screen because when you choose your option and hear it back all word for word (which is what happened in TW btw), it becomes jarring. Now that I'm done can we never bring DA2 into any TW2 threads and vice versa?

So in order to have fully voiced dialogue the developers are forced to cut back on the number of dialogue options.

I'm not sure I agree with that particular trend in current RPG design.

So in order to have fully voiced dialogue the developers are forced to cut back on the number of dialogue options.

Well, they could make the dialogue options more, and start charging $200 a game to afford the voice actors.

As for those whining on about 'consolization' and developers thinking console gamers are morons, y'all need to take a realism pill and perhaps even get laid so you can chillax. There's this kind of strange mentality going around that PC gamers are some kind of master race and that they all have superior intellect or something. What's even more puzzling is the fact that the people casting these airs more often than not can't even spell properly or have half-brained ideas that they're convinced is the truth, but which in all actuality, displays that they can only look at one side of any given situation. Look at the bigger picture for once.

Developers and with them, publishers need to make money. The entire world is still recovering from the worldwide depression. The main reason I had to cancel my uncapped DSL package which I've only had two months, and had to go back down to a package limited to 2gb of bandwidth, is because suddenly, petrol is costing me almost double what it did a few weeks ago, and suddenly, out of the blue, we're having a 24% price hike in electricity costs. People need to make a living. Of course you're going to see rushed games, games with certain features removed, etc. They need to sell copies, and they need to do it fast. I'm not saying this is the main reason why games like DA2 were disappointing to so many people, hell it might not even have been a factor at all, but it needs to be considered. Not once have I heard anybody say 'maybe EA rushed DA2 out the door because they really need something to bring in the money to keep all their studios going' and that maybe there's a reason so many studios had to close their doors in the last few years. No, it's always some long-winded idea that they're purposely trying to spite their customers or something.

The way I see it, PC gamers should be thankful for consoles, because if it wasn't for the revenue generated by them we'd either have had very few games to choose from, or they'd have been bogged down by anti-piracy measures that would make Ubisoft's Uplay look friendly. And yes, I do blame piracy for the state PC gaming is in. If piracy wasn't such a giant problem, we'd see more PC games being ported to consoles, not the other way around. I sure as hell wouldn't develop a game for the PC had I been a developer.

And as for those moaning about exclusives, that's not unfair at all. They can decide for which platform they wish to develop a game. They don't need to develop it for a certain platform simply because you want them to. Hell knows, I dearly want to play Gears of War 2, but I'm not going to moan about it, because I'm the one at fault for not buying myself an Xbox.