I am thinking about upgrading my PC:

AMD 550 II x2 3.1 ghz

ATI/AMD 4850 512mb

4gb ram

ASUS m4a785td-V evo

What I am thinking of buying:

XFX AMD radeon 6870 1gb ddr5

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 ghz, 8mb cache

(You can suggest other similar hardware, but please, NO Intel or Nvidia)

(Yes, I am a gamer. And I like paying for things that make the moving pictures more pretty)

Now I have a few questions.

Will my motherboard support these new components?

Should i get an additional 2 gb of ram? (Additional info: I am planing to do more computer graphics, and additional RAM would be good i guess.)

Should I have dual boot of W7 32bit and W7 64 or W7 32 and XP 64? (I know a few programs that are running better in XP, but i can't choose between those 2 settings since I can get the XP mode in W7.)

Thanks in advance.

Anyone that tries to help me gets kudos, as always. Help should never go unrewarded.

Edited by Iv000

Your mobo should be compatible with what you have listed. I would go for a different brand like sapphire or so just because I've heard horror stories trying to RMA through XFX.

Also for $50 dollars more you can get a 6950 2GB which can possibly unlock to a 6970.

As for windows, I would just get W7 x64 (32 bit is pointless now). Your programs should run fine in W7 or in compatibility mode.

Your mobo should be compatible with what you have listed. I would go for a different brand like sapphire or so just because I've heard horror stories trying to RMA through XFX.

Also for $50 dollars more you can get a 6950 2GB which can possibly unlock to a 6970.

As for windows, I would just get W7 x64 (32 bit is pointless now). Your programs should run fine in W7 or in compatibility mode.

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

As for the 6950, the 6870 costs 1,600 HRK = 320$ and the 6950 with the 2GB ram costs 2249 HRK = 450$, that's 130$ more. Hardware is very expensive in Croatia these days.

Sapphire/XFX, I will search around for more info, thanks for pointing that out.

I am not so sure if I should only get W7 64, I heard some stories that not everything runs great on it, and I 100% want a dual boot. (I already got one W7 32, XP 32)

I will try to find some more info on that matter to. I don't want a program not working because of compatibility issues.

Again, thanks for the help! Kudos to you my friend.

Yeah, and the mobo prices aren't too bad either.

If you're saying NO intel (and nvidia) just because, then I really suggest looking into the 2500k. (biased suggestions are biased :D )

Intel and Nvidia are firstly too expensive, and secondly I just don't like them. They only care about the money, and their advertisements are everywhere.

AMD is a honest company, I don't care if they aren't the number 1 in performance or in quality, but their prices are a LOT cheaper, they have almost the same performances as their Intel / Nvidia counterparts and I like the logo :tongue:

What I mean: INTEL Core i7 Extreme Edition 990X 3.4 GHZ = 8000 HRK = 1600$ (!!!) -This is the only Intel 6 core in my area. My favorite hardware shop loves AMD too :3

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BOX Black Edition 3.3 GHZ = 1600 HRK = 320$ (Yes I love AMD, and that won't change)

Same goes for Nvidia, money first, all other things later.

(FYI the average Croatian monthly pay is 6000 HRK = 1200$)

Now before this evolves into a flame war, it would be nice for this topic to die, or either to be locked.

Thanks for the help mcole!

The price of the 990X is indeed insane but the sandy bridge chips are affordable, unlocked and beat every other processor in games.

Do not get a 6 core just because it has 6 cores, for gaming the quadcores are better.

The price of the 990X is indeed insane but the sandy bridge chips are affordable, unlocked and beat every other processor in games.

Do not get a 6 core just because it has 6 cores, for gaming the quad cores are better.

Yea, but getting a quad core would be stupid now, since a six core costs like 60$ more.

And it's always possible to disable two cores.

And I am not doing only gaming, I am doing 3D & 2D graphic design too. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Congrats on 100th post :tongue:

Edited by Iv000