queen alone?

linupius

after a few things i read i thought something up.

if you say you want to rule beside alistair and then let him do the final blow without doing the ritual with morrigan

then you should be the queen with noone on your side so you would be the one and true ruler of ferelden

but i just thought about it because i always performed the dark ritual

could any one confirm this?

For reasons that aren't quite clear, unless you are a Human Noble Male you cannot rule Fereldan yourself. If you are a Human Noble Female, the best you can do is be Alistair's Queen. Any other race cannot even be that.

If Alistair makes the Final Blow, he dies. No matter what other options might have been available at the time.

So my solution involves leaving Big Al to guard the Gates of Denerim, the Command Console, and resurrecting another NPC, (not to mention a Joining that must have occurred 'off-stage'. :tongue: )

That way everyone you care about survives, and even the Post-Coronation Dialogues pretty much work! :thumbsup:

maybe it would work, but then you would cheat more than just a bit apart from that big Al would then be still alive so no chance to be alone on the throne

i think i will try my original idea, but at the moment i'm playing as a female mage so this could take a while

a ferelden without a ruler could turn out quite interesting i'll try that too

• 4 weeks later...
keep in mind that you don't get married in Origins, you get engaged, the wedding is scheduled for after the Blight is ended. so even if you were betrothed to Alistair and he died, you would have no claim to the throne, Anora would become Queen. and as far as I remember even a male human noble cannot rule alone, you have to marry Anora and she makes it clear that she is the one doing all the ruling, not you

For reasons that aren't quite clear, unless you are a Human Noble Male you cannot rule Fereldan yourself. If you are a Human Noble Female, the best you can do is be Alistair's Queen. Any other race cannot even be that.

I'll argue that.

I've played female for every Origin story (except dwarves...I just can't do it... :ohdear: ), and if you fall in love with Alistair, you WILL get the option of ruling alongside Alistair. Of course, I don't know how it pans out, because we never see the wedding take place, but every female path I've played can make that choice.

"Ruling alongside?" or "Mistress in the back bedroom"?

In the vanilla game, (no mods) if you play an Elf or a Dwarf, (or a even a Human Mage) Alistair will say something like "I'm sorry my Dear, but Ferelden just isn't ready for that. Maybe someday..." And while he won't break-off the Relationship, (although at that point, you can) you won't get to walk up the aisle with him at the Coronation the way you (or Anora!) can if you're a Human (and therefore, a Noble, since there isn't a Human-Commoner origin. :tongue: ) If you have decided to put him on the Throne, he makes it clear that his Public Duty will come first. You'll have to be content with having Alistair "only in private".

To be fair, it isn't clear exactly what Ferelden isn't ready for. An inter-species marriage? A Mage on the Throne? A Non-Noble? A Non-Fereldan? A Non-Human? Some combination of these?

(And of course, there's the whole sexist aspect to the fact that you can rule in your own right as a male Human Noble! :tongue: )

Doesn't Alistair say, right after he kills Logain and becomes King, that if he falls in battle Anora can have her throne? He says this even if he's engaged to HFN or if there is a relationship with an elf or mage.

So if he takes the final blow and dies, Anora is queen. That's why he has her put in a dungeon instead of outright chopping her head off :tongue:

Doesn't Alistair say, right after he kills Logain and becomes King, that if he falls in battle Anora can have her throne? He says this even if he's engaged to HFN or if there is a relationship with an elf or mage.

So if he takes the final blow and dies, Anora is queen. That's why he has her put in a dungeon instead of outright chopping her head off :tongue:

Quite right. I think there's even a line (I can't recall properly... I am usually laughing too loud imaging the expression on Loghain's severed head to pay enough attention) where you remark how badly Anora wants the throne.

To be fair, it isn't clear exactly what Ferelden isn't ready for. An inter-species marriage? A Mage on the Throne? A Non-Noble? A Non-Fereldan? A Non-Human? Some combination of these?

(And of course, there's the whole sexist aspect to the fact that you can rule in your own right as a male Human Noble! :tongue: )

Inter-species? No way. Elves are trash to most humans and dwarves are too foreign/strange/unknown. (Can a human and dwarf couple even reproduce? I've never heard of a "half-dwarf". :tongue: )

Mages are, by law, largely forbidden from living outside the Tower, except by special permission. Most people don't trust and/or fear them. I can't imagine the Chantry would be too pleased to have a mage as king.

A non-Ferelden is moot, since everybody involved IS a Ferelden (perhaps unless you are dwarf, since Orzammar is an independent kingdom). I don't count Sten, Liliana or Zevran since they have no influence or input apart from possible romance complications.

To me, at least, Eamon made it pretty clear that Alistair had the stronger claim to the throne (by traditional standards) by virtue of blood trumping marriage. And, as I understand Ferelden history, there has always been a king, so yes, sexism is a key factor. Not a great surprise, since (in medieval history) Queens were routinely passed over in favor of brothers, uncles and even cousins or nephews when the king died. And even those few who did manage to hold the throne were of royal blood themselves. How else could Eamon have any claim to the throne at all? He says his 'claim is by marriage", but he is also Cailan's uncle. If Eamon had been Maric's brother rather than Maric's wife's brother, then Eamon would be sitting on the throne.

Anora has three (possibly four) things working in her favor that helps buck tradition.

1. She seems to have a reputation for competence and is a known factor at a time of crisis (Blight and civil war). Continuity and stability weigh in her favor, since Alistair is largely an unknown quantity.

2. She's Cailan's wife, which opens the door, but more importantly she's Loghain's daughter, whose fame and reputation are her REAL hope for keeping the door open.

3. Alistair is a Grey Warden. As I understand it, tradition exludes Grey Wardens from holding titles of nobility in Ferelden, much less ruling the country. When Howe's lands are granted to the Grey Wardens, that's a major break with tradition. Even then, your character in Awakenings is simply a "Commander" representing the Grey Wardens rather than a Bann, Arl or Teyrn with a hereditary right to the lands yourself. Your PC might become king instead of Alistair, but only by marriage,noble blood (Anora herself is only one generation removed from peasant stock) and by virtue of your obvious awesomeness. And, depending on which "boon" you recive, may become a Bann (City Elf) or Teyrn (any?).

4. Possibly you, if you side with her over Alistair. Loghain has been the "Hero of Ferelden" since the Orlesian wars, but you are the BMOC now. :biggrin:

Edited by dcinroc

@dcinroc;

Ummmm, I know all that stuff. To summarize; in the vanilla game: "You can become Ferelden's Queen via your relationship with Alistair, but not otherwise. And then only if you play a HNF."

My question is simply, "Which reason(s)/excuse(s) does Alistair (so, "The Writers") mean when he tells you you can't sit on the Throne beside him?" Could be any (or many? most? all?) of the issues listed.

I was simply curious which of the possible ones for NOT allowing you to become Queen he was using. We don't really know from the context.

(To one of your points, I would take the position the neither the Dalish nor the Dwarves of Orzammar are "Ferledan". Neither acknowledges the humans' King as their lord, and the Dwarves even have their own.)