How Many Mods are too much?

piddy3825

Yeah, that sounds about right. Fine-tuning the game to my exact taste with mods is just making it better. It's like having the salt, pepper and vinegar and all at a restaurant. Doesn't mean I can't eat the steak just like the chef made it. But I can tweak it a little to match my subjective preferences.

Edit: and I will admit that a lot of mods are purely aesthetic, be it just higher res textures or recolours. But, hey, looks are important, and the weapon must match my outfit, you know? It would be a terrible insult to my enemies if I killed them when I'm badly dressed. Is all I'm saying.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few lead indicators that tell the player that he's rapidly approaching the event horizon that inevitably sucks the game into a black hole. Don't let that happen to you.

The FPS ratio starts to oscillate beyond any earlier experienced extend in certain 'slow' cells, on weaker machines even falling down to almost zero for brief moments; the loading time for a cell change gets heavily extended and may even reach the dreaded endless loading loop. The machine starts to think about the mod load, so to speak. On the contrary, a CTD is usually caused by a corrupted load order.

Remember, this is not about mod numbers, the quantity, but the quality, only that matters. And that makes it practically impossible to predict the end of the line as a mere fixed for coded number. It simply depends on the mods used 'cause the minor and practically irrelevant problems of a single mod accumulate with increasing mod numbers. The player feels the end long before the mind starts to accept that something is probably going wrong.

Have fun!

Roughly 270 mods, with 105 plugins, and that is partly into the process of merging what I can (primarily compatibility patches and small armor/weapon/structure mods). The fun part is adding masters to bigger mods so you can deal with the keyword bugs (fully integrating SK into Homemaker, because the patch wasn't actually helping with the crafting menu keyword bug, was extremely tedious). The only issues I have run into are a corrupted esp resulting from a bad merge (usually happens after deleting a no longer need master), and the crafting keyword cap. In fact, the only CTDs I have had were due to bad references in a mod/bad installs resulting in missing files.

Of course, that count is a bit inflated, since any time the patch is not part of a FOMOD installer with the main file, NMM counts them as separate mods.

• 3 weeks later...

150 and doing fine. Mainly visual mods and a few weapons and -not so few- outfits to add a little variety. At one time I was running FO3 at close to 300. It was a nasty shock when I found out that New Vegas was - at least on my rig- limited to 139 :wallbash: After having finished the game I was constantly juggling mods that I wanted to try.

I think that is the main thing about these games. The way talented people keep creating new stuff makes them last much longer than if you just played vanila. No matter how many different characters you wanted to do.

At this point the only thing I would say is that anything you do, DO NOT download too many weapon/armor mods, whether the ones that add crafting workbenches and a lot of options or single models. Only download the ones that you really want and the ones that are necessary. If any one of them has a replacement option replace one of the vanilla weapons with it instead of downloading all of them standalone.

If you download too many they will trigger the key cap engine bug and your game gets badly glitched out. And there is no fix for that until the GECK is out and the key cap is increased.

Texture/reskin mods, gameplay tweaks, perk overhauls, and everything that doesn't add too many keywords (and are created clean with Xedit) are more or less safe.

Play with different ENBs, make your game much harder with some tweaks, and use the workbenches mods and weapon mods that you really need. And it'll be okay.

I have about 70 mods now, 90 plugins, and I honestly fear to add even one more. I already hit the key cap one time.

more,more,more can get enuf

with out the mod this game is DEAD the minute the divition is sold(so more is good)

The Division* you mean?

No Bethesda game ever got obsolete by a Ubisoft game, let alone by a boring online Ubisoft game. In fact nearly all Ubisoft games of the past 6 years are obsolete, nobody even talks about Assassin's Creed any more, Rainbow Six Siege is full of hackers and everyone's leaving it, in fact almost all online Ubisoft games are full of hackers and all get obsolete very fast, but people are still modding and playing morrowind.

The Division kill Fallout 4? In the dreams of Ubisoft's CEO maybe.

Even though Fallout 4 isn't my favorite in fallout series, because of the lore and the universe even strong RPGs can't make it obsolete.

I actually enjoy the process of modding itself. Finding something new, working to get it running with everything else, keeping track of what's been discovered by the community and watching the mod review videos. I probably enjoy modding Fallout 4 more than I enjoy playing it. I've currently got 137 active mods and 126 active plug-ins. The thing is a lot of those are different mods than the ones I was running last week and different again from last month. I install them long enough to play around with them for a bit, then eventually remove them to try other ones.

Ok let me say that in the past the 250 hard is for the TES games. That includes the Game EMS and any DLCs

However the Fallout games have usually been 150 ish with the closer you get to that the more weirdness your game becoming and the more issues you could have, depending on the types mods you have. I don't know if that has changed in Fallout 4. The more mods you have the harder it is for your game to work. It has got to remember all this stuff. It has to render things, it has to think of what may need rendered and have it at the ready. So maybe you can run 300 plugins but wow...at some point your game might blow up. Modding is not for the faint of heart. I personally do not feel complete unless I break my game. It is kind of like trial by mods. lol

How many mods you can run is always a personal one. Dependent on computer, graphics card, vram, the types of mods...all this was said before. The more mods you have the more chances of an incompatibility.

Right now without the official tools being released any and all mods (even ones made with Fallout4edit) have a chance to be a bit persnickety. Heck, mods anytime can be a bit of a crap shoot as there are so many variables. Now, I am not saying any one mod is or not one thing or another, but one is all it takes for BLAM!. Some things are just still unknowns.

The best thing you can do to make sure all your mods run well and for you to have the most mods you can is to READ the descriptions and any instructions that the mod authors give you. This is important for the running, installation and sometimes the removing of the mods. They don't type that crap up to exercise their fingers. I realize many of you use NMM and MO and what have you. That is all well and good but understanding how mods work, what files they actually go into, what overwrites what..needs to be understood. Not all mods are simple plug and play. The more knowledge you have on how it all works the more fun you can have.

And the kit should be out in April so even more fun will be had! WOOOOO