Making a more attractive face

schijnn

I see so many beautiful character faces in the imageshare, but no matter how hard I try, I can never get my characters to look half as good.

I currently use the HGEC body with hi-rez textures for both the body and face, beautiful people 2ch edition, capucines character expansion, ren's beauty pack, a neck seam reducer, etc., but still my characters look far less realistic and attractive than many of those I see on the imageshare.

So, I am hoping that one of you masters of the art will take me under your wing, and reveal some of your secrets to me. :sweat:

Notes:

1. Usually, using cosmetic mods won't help you to make better face at all. They allow you to choose more hairs and eyes, but making better face is completely up to you.

2. When you make a face with Facegen, all facial features are determined by base head mesh and Facegen sliders.

3. Many players use custom races, for most of them use custom head meshes and skin textures, so people can make better looking character more easily. However, you need to tweak the sliders until you're satisfied.

4. For stock head mesh, you can use SI Facegen Modeller to make a face, then transplant it to Oblivion save file with tools like Facegen to Oblivion converter.

5. Again, many of the screenshots are photoshopped.

Edited by LFact

A lot of the images you see are from people who spend an ungodly amount of time making their characters' looks. Then they save them and use them as models for their pictures, that way they don't have to keep wasting time creating decent faces over and over again. Yeah, a lot of it has to do with photoshop also (cleaning up face textures, seams and colors in photos afterwards).

Also, a lot of custom races have better face textures and, therefore, look better than vanilla races. If I may suggest a race, the Elves of Lineage 2 have wonderful face textures and are a good place to start out. (I personally don't care to use the Beautiful People mods - too much load, not enough goods. I just made my own cosmetic compilation with a mix of MHE, EoL and Xenius Race Comilation. But, that's just me.)

If you just want to use the sliders it should take you an hour or so to make a decent character. Remember you can ~ and type 'showracemenu' to modify your character mid game if you're not happy with it.

With the sliders you should try to randomize it until it looks half decent but this tends not to work as well on custom races.

You can also download the face files of other player's characters and modify them from there to get it how you like it.

If you just want to use the sliders it should take you an hour or so to make a decent character. Remember you can ~ and type 'showracemenu' to modify your character mid game if you're not happy with it.

Please note that doing the above mid-game can screw up your skills, experience, etc. if you accidentally change race while doing it. Hsndy hint for seeing the face a little less distorted - use the console fov command to set a wider field of view and the face won't look so "pressed against the lens"

Edited by MarkInMKUK