ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Overriding Vanilla Content?

FriarChris

Could someone give me a quick description of how to override existing content with mods? I have been through the guides but am unfamiliar with UC as a format; I can add variants and new weapons as stand-alones and have a basic grasp of scripting but don't understand how I would, for example, replace the values for e.g. the vanilla Assault Rifle itself, as opposed to adding a new weapon in.

Using an edited weapons script in the mod creates a conflict as the game rejects the duplicate templates.

Tl;dr - how do I edit existing templates? I can add new ones just fine, but I'd like to sink my teeth into the existing content.

There's no simple way to override vanilla content as we discovered. We can add new stuff easily and edit vanilla content with wast ini options, but adding new abilities to existing templates is tricky and not always can be done. See LW officer mod for example of doing it with UI button press.

There's no simple way to override vanilla content as we discovered. We can add new stuff easily and edit vanilla content with wast ini options, but adding new abilities to existing templates is tricky and not always can be done. See LW officer mod for example of doing it with UI button press.

That seems like a huge limitation given the amount of effort they put into making the game moddable and giving us an entire dev kit. Weapons and their functions seriously aren't editable outside of what's already in configuration files, seriously? :/

Looks like they were expecting new textures, weapons and models, not changing their core mechanics. Everything is possible with direct editing and recompiling of base scripts, but it's an overkill for just one template, so yeah, limitations. But they're still supporting this game, so there's hope yet. :)

Plus this is literally the 2nd day after release. It's going to take some time to figure out all the tricks and re-learn everything we know about XCom modding. I'm currently trying something similar, adding a new default ability, and am stuck in the same place. I'm still poking around trying various things but so far no dice. I'm not ready to throw in the towel and go the UI route like the officer mod quite yet though.

I was trying to do this too :) Seems all modders think alike :)

BTW, I think the only reliable way of sneaking custom code into tactical part without too much hacks is new item with new ability. We can subscribe ability to an event, as I understand, and do our dirty things. :)

There is an example project for overriding classes which shows how to make a mod class override a vanilla one in the XCOMEngine config file. Clearly it works (or so one must presume if it's provided as an example of how to override vanilla classes) for amending functions as per the example.

*herp derps and tries to override the entire Item Manager additem function to overwrite duplicates*

Well unless they make overwriting/editing of vanilla content possible, then almost no major mod can really take off, because it means that the basic gear and settings are locked in and you can only add extras on top; we heard discussions of total conversions and the like in dev commentary so it doesn't sound intentional. I'm hoping and anticipating they open up that functionality pretty soon, therefore.

Edited by FriarChris