Why is this not working?!

So ive been playing oblivion for awhile on my computer. But for some time now, the game will stop responding randomly. Sometimes i will go long lengths of time with no crash, and then it happens.

It's annoying because if it crashes once, each time i try to play, it crashes quicker.

I've tried so many things, and im burnt out, please help!

I have no mods activated, here are my specs:

Windows 7 Home premium 32 bit

Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)

6144MB of RAM

Creative SB X-FI xtreme Gamer

DISPLAY

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Well i dont need to reboot my computer, i can just ctrl-alt-del the get rid of oblivion, then i can start it up again.

Not strictly true. A reboot cleans the memory out, a ctrl-alt-del leaves a lot of junk floating in memory and allocated as far as the computer is concerned, so you have less RAM you can use when restarting. Eventually it SHOULD get cleaned up, but Windows isn't always great at the cleanup.

Many regulars here use a couple of add-on mods which reduce or eliminate some of the known crash reasons - Winston Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System is a good one, plus FastExit to handle the crash-on-exit problem which is known to happen. You need to install OBSE (Oblivion Script Extender)to get them to run. They massively incresed stability on my system.

Also, if playing Oblivion. kill EVERY un-needed process, and don't try to run chat programs and the like as well. GameBooster can be worth trying - it's amazing how much extra RAM you get with everything else turned off.

There is also a 3GB memory patch for Oblivion - helps it actually use some of the memory you have.

BTW - There's no point in having more than 4GB on a Windows 32 bit system anyway - you need 64 bit to address the extra couple of GB you currently have installed. It's worth reducing the system to 4GB and seeing if that helps the problem - you may get some odd effect where two memory chips are addressed at the same time and causing a crash.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Well i dont need to reboot my computer, i can just ctrl-alt-del the get rid of oblivion, then i can start it up again.

Also, if playing Oblivion. kill EVERY un-needed process, and don't try to run chat programs and the like as well. GameBooster can be worth trying - it's amazing how much extra RAM you get with everything else turned off.

You talking about this?

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5952

Is it safe?

Gamebooster is safe. They have both a FREE version and a pay version. So be sure to be sure you are getting the one you want.

On the free version don't just click YES for everything blindly or you will probably end up with a useless tool bar or have your search engine changed to the totally useless Ask search that you will end up removing later.

MajorGeeks is a very reputable site for downloads. They check every program for viruses first. The useless yahoo toolbar and even more useless Ask search are not viruses, just a really stupid marketing ploy to get their program loaded on as many computers as possible so they can sell more advertising to gullible companies that see their inflated installed base numbers.

So ive been playing oblivion for awhile on my computer. But for some time now, the game will stop responding randomly. Sometimes i will go long lengths of time with no crash, and then it happens.

It's annoying because if it crashes once, each time i try to play, it crashes quicker.

I've tried so many things, and im burnt out, please help!

I have no mods activated, here are my specs:

Windows 7 Home premium 32 bit

Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)

6144MB of RAM

Creative SB X-FI xtreme Gamer

DISPLAY

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Oblivion Stutter Remover. Follow instructions. Check forums for detailed tweaks. Search on TES for th download, search Bethesda Forums for the detailed tweaks.

When you end a process in the task manager, go to the Processes tab, right-click the process, and click End process tree instead. This does a better job of cleaning up the memory still leftover from the process.

When using Oblivion Stutter Remover, don't use the heap replacement because it can cause Blue Screens of Death. You can try using it, but if you get a BSOD you'll know what caused it.