how improve Fps?

Jodi79

Before you change your video card, take another look at the 3 or 4gb patches. I use many of the same mods, and can almost guarentee that your main issue is ram usage.

I use windows 7 64 bit with 4gb ram, and the 4gb patch nearly doubled my fps. also very few crashes now and much shorter loading times.

It was very easy to install, and i have no negative effects.

oh, and its free.

since we like the same mods, i think you might like these;

UL Silverfish River ( posted yesterday )

Book Jackets of Oblivion

Alluring potion and wine bottles

Cosmic Night Sky Cycler

Falling Stars

instead of Book Placement, try Decorator Assintant. It lets you place ANYTHING where you want and lock it down.

Edited by eric31415

I found the 4gb patch but it doesn't support my winxp pro, just Vista and 7. Found someone saying that changing the bios make it possible but risky

the simplest way is that I should change my os, or run both: I lean for the first solution, but it's mean i'll have to format (and this is HAAAA!).. I'll think some hour about it, i'll have to check to have the competence to reistall all my vital program, mostly concerning

internet connection (indeed the problem are the various setting...nothing i couldn't solve really).

concerning mod, Silverfish and bookjacket are already in, alluring and falling star are now in my hard drive waiting for better fps time

Cosmetic night sky, i had one version sometimes ago but i didn't like that..it put the texture chaotically making the sky a rubble of (beautiful) picture..but as i said is quite time ago, may be i made some mistake during installation (i was a rookie) or a previous version's bug..

the for decorator, i didn't like how it work, but as the same of cosmetic, i have to check the latest version

The best option remaining may be a second PC, with a high-speed single core processor, and your existing graphics card. The faster core speed WILL improve the fps for any object the main CPU has to handle.

Other things to try:

Antivirus: Temporarily disable it, and see if that helps. If so, look at disabling any "on access" scanning for the Oblivion and OBSE processes - they open dozens of files and if each one has to be virus scanned every time it can really hit performance.

Swap File: Move your windows swap file to a different PHYSICAL drive from the game. Having to move the drive head from game to swap to game continually can slow disk access badly and again hit fps rates. That would tend to show up more after you have been playing for a while.

Swap File: Move your windows swap file to a different PHYSICAL drive from the game. Having to move the drive head from game to swap to game continually can slow disk access badly and again hit fps rates. That would tend to show up more after you have been playing for a while.

As I said, in some detail, back in post #9-making the swap file a certain size and on a secondary drive is preferable. Failing that, at least put it on the secondary partition; this also helps reduce the number of I/O switches-just not as much. Also, if you have a newer flash drive, sometimes you can configure that to act directly as RAM. That helps also. If at all possible, defrag your drive(s) before adjusting the swap file.

Take a whole new pc seem a little bit too expensive..

Next week i'll take win7, so finally i shall use all my 4gb ram.

When i'll reinstall the program i'll follow your advice to take it in a different drive.. my hard drive is yet comparted but, i followed a wrong hint, and i didn't fix it because a didn't want to... well because i'm lazy!

concerning a second Video card to work together i had a talk with an expert this morning saying that this solution, even clearly will improve my game fps(and every graphic aspect indeed) splitting the work between the two Vc, may be not so economically convenient because the whole performance will be improved "just" a 20%, max. In short, i have to confront the price. He's also said that improve vram isn't recommend, but he isn't really sure and will informing about. i'll take a look in the Ati site too.

in the mean time i'll try disabling the antivirus. I yet tried disabling connection while playing and it was a little better, but i forgot to deactive the antiv..

a special thanks to Dallen68 for the tweakguides: finally a guide who doesn't need a guide to be read! i spent a long part of the night starting studying it, completely loosing my sense of time..(and this morning i paid it! the price of the knowledge..). Obviously very interesting the Oblivion related.. but i think I'll examine the graphic and win7 guides too

about changing my system handle, at the present time i feel it over my skill: i'm scared to make some mistake i'll not able to fix....

but, when i'll install win7(well, when i'll make an expert to install it) i'll ask him to do it too..(stealing with my eyes the how to :pirate: )

Take a whole new pc seem a little bit too expensive..

Next week i'll take win7, so finally i shall use all my 4gb ram.

When i'll reinstall the program i'll follow your advice to take it in a different drive.. my hard drive is yet comparted but, i followed a wrong hint, and i didn't fix it because a didn't want to... well because i'm lazy!

No, you don't want to reinstall the program on a different drive. That would essentially defeat the purpose of placing the swap file on a different drive. Also, I wouldn't count on Win 7 improving anything as regards Oblivion. It may or may not-just don't count on it. Also, using your full ram depends more on whether your using 32 or 64 bit than it does which variation of Windows. If your upgrading, you can only upgrade the same.

i misunderstood..now i toke a look on the exact meaning of swap file.. i read something about it in tweakguide: now i'll study better this advice to look if i'm able to do so without making harm!

about win7 i mean the 64bit version.. i could upgrade xp, but i prefer to implement win7: a lot of people said to me it's better, and this look me a good time to do that. The most of the file are yet in a safe hard drive, i solved the problem about setting of connectivity program, and i have all the mod Omodded so also reinstall oblivion would be... well, it take it's time, but in few hour i'll make it and i could upgrade someones to newer version without trouble..and however it's part of the game..isn't it? :)