New to Oblivion - What mods should I install?

AveiMil

Hello,

I just bought Oblivion Game of the Year Edition on Steam and wanted to know what people would suggest I install in terms of community modifications to give me the best possible experience? Keep in mind I'm likely to only play through the game once with one character before I'll probably become bored. I've looked through a lot of mods but many are outdated and I don't have a good overview over what is compatible with what etc.

Recommendations?

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Also, what difficulty level would you recommend I play at? (I want to select a level and leave it at that for the entire game). I'd like something harder than 'average' but easier than 'hardcore' :D

Edited by AveiMil

If you're really new, I do not recommend anything other than unofficial patches(Unofficial Oblivion Patch, Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch for SI, and Unofficial Official Mods Patch for official DLCs). You have to play it for a while, and decide what kind of mod you want to get.

If you're really new, I do not recommend anything other than unofficial patches(Unofficial Oblivion Patch, Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch for SI, and Unofficial Official Mods Patch for official DLCs). You have to play it for a while, and decide what kind of mod you want to get.

What about OOO? Is this a 'must'?

Nothing is a must. Sometimes people come here with a shopping list of mods that an article or a friend says are a must. I did that. I am glad someone told me right away to avoid making any major changes to gameplay before I played a bit without mods. It turns out almost every mod I thought I *had* to have had features I wouldn't have liked. Right now I have a very heavily modded game, but other than graphics, I have avoided all the major overhauls because I discovered that most of the things I wanted from them I could get a la carte. That way I didn't have to take things I don't want in with things I do. There are literally tens of thousands of mods for Oblivion, though not all are here of course. If something annoys me, I do a search in the libraries, and no matter what it is, usually there are multiple mods that address it. 9 times out of 10 at least one of them is perfect for me.

Overhauls can be really terrific, but they are someone else's idea of the perfect Oblivion game. I wouldn't jump into those until you know what your perfect Oblivion game would be like. At that point, you will know which if any appeal to you.

as a first time oblivion player, ONLY use the official and unofficial patches. and any unofficial DLC patches. after you've played through for about....3 or 4 characters, think on what you want to see in the game. If you like having houses, download hosuing mods. if you like adventures, download dungeons. the only MUST haves for me are the official and unofficial patches. Everything else is a really nice addition to have.

I had played through Morrowind so I had an idea of what I wanted, but I still did a couple of starts - not all the way through, but enough to get a feel of the game before I started Modding.

Everyone is right. You have to know what you like and what you want to change first. Compared to Morrowind Oblivion was overwhelming to me! Make a couple of short starts with a couple of different test characters.

I understand your not wanting to play through more than once- I probably won't either. But do some test characters and exploring before you start Modding. This forum is awesome and can suggest great mods if you are looking to change something specific. They've already helped me so much! :)

suzy

Firstly, if you are going to put in ANY mods, you ought to move your installation of Oblivion from the default location to something like c:\Games\Oblivion - there are instructions on the steam forum for moving your installation directory. That stops Vista or Win7 from causing problems with its User Account Control system - ANY program installed in c:\Program Files\something can suffer otherwise.

Actually, there are a couple of additional mods you MAY want to add fairly early on - BUT ONLY if you get crash-to-desktop problems either while playing or when exiting.

IF, and ONLY IF that applies - download and install OBSE (Oblivion Script Extender) v20, weOCPS (Winston Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System) and FastExit - the last two use the facilities provided by the first to fix a lot of the common crash bugs. All three should be on the Nexus someplace. However, if you don't have crash problems, then don't add them.

Alright, thanks for the input.

I decided to go with all the unofficial patches + supplement patches in addition to OOO. It seemed like a solid mod that offered game play improvements that sounded better than vanilla.

Created my very own Dark Elf 'Deathmage', birth sign Atronach, Specialization Combat, primary attributes Strength and Intelligence and primary skills Destruction, Blunt, Blade, Alchemy, Restoration, Marksman, Heavy Armor.

I'll sneak around with a bow, fire an arrow, proceed to attack using magic spells and finally crush some skulls with whatever blade or blunt weapon I might have found :D

Wonder how it will work out, should be fun :-)

@ MarkinMKUK. Is there a thread somewhere explaining how to use these? I have Oblivion working on my desktop but on my laptop it crashes every time I play.

suzy

Hello rather than make a new thread I'm just going to post here. I've tried Oblivion a few times before, the last time was on Xbox 360 and it only lasted a week, I tackled it with a pen and paper spreadsheat to keep track of leveling minor and major skills, but in the middle of the process I decided I was better of buying a gun and shooting myself in the foot.

After experiencing the wonderful world of Fallout 3 with mods, and seeing many Oblivion mods on youtube, I've decided I must play Oblivion again...I know how to install mods, but what I'm looking for is an overhaul, perhaps one that changes the skill/leveling system to something similar of Fallout 3, or better yet FO3 - Wanderer's Edition. I'll probably pick up the most popular texture packs and character models, but aside from that I'll be good, maybe some armours or something like that, but I can handle all of that on my own.

Can anyone recommend some kind of popular, up to date overhaul that alters the leveling system? Also is there a popular body mesh/skin that has lots of armours made for it? (Perhaps a pack that reshapes all vanilla gear to fit that body)

Thanks.

Edited by DZ302