ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

New to Oblivion - What mods should I install?

AveiMil

@ MarkinMKUK. Is there a thread somewhere explaining how to use these? I have Oblivion working on my desktop but on my laptop it crashes every time I play.

suzy

Suzy - it's worth checking your laptop CAN play Oblivion - it will crash on many laptops just because the graphics can't handle Oblivion. Your graphics card in the laptop needs to be either ATi or nVidia for starters - Intel graphics won't cut it

You could also try Oldblivion to ease the strain on the graphics card.

I use "No More Leveling" platforming_oblivion. It is exactly what I was looking for, but I don't know if it is similar to FO3, and I don't know if it is on this site. I got it here.

suzy

@ MarkinMKUK. Is there a thread somewhere explaining how to use these? I have Oblivion working on my desktop but on my laptop it crashes every time I play.

suzy

Suzy - it's worth checking your laptop CAN play Oblivion - it will crash on many laptops just because the graphics can't handle Oblivion. Your graphics card in the laptop needs to be either ATi or nVidia for starters - Intel graphics won't cut it

You could also try Oldblivion to ease the strain on the graphics card.

I am going to check into that. The laptop should play it- it plays most other games. I'm going to keep trying.

Is Oldblivion a mod that lowers the FPS? I think that's what I need for my laptop. I think I need a mod to take out some extra 'stuff' in the graphics I don't need- rocks for instance. I don't care how pretty it is. I just want to play!

suzy

Hey again guys,

I'm getting a lot of crashes to desktop when playing Oblivion :-(

I'm running Windows XP and game of the year Edition via Steam.

These are the mods I have installed/loaded:

http://www.aveimil.c...blivionmods.JPG

I installed all the patches first-> supplemental patch and then I installed OOO. Any ideas?

Drop OOO(Since it's an overhaul, it's not for first time player unless you want to play it in its way), then check if the game runs without crash. And, using BOSS to arrange mod order and building bashed patch is recommended. If you don't know how to, stay away from that.

**Edit: Typos.

Edited by LFact

Basically, for your first run in the game, you have chosen to install one of the most complex overhauls for Oblivion. You can probably get it working if your computer is powerful enough to handle it, and you do what LFact says, run BOSS and use Wrye Bash to make a bashed patch. Any time you add anything else to your game, because you are running OOO you will need to check all read mes and manuals to make sure the other mod does not conflict with OOO and that OOO does not already include it. Many mods have special versions to make them compatible with OOO. If you see an OOO version of a mod, you MUST use that version only and not both .esps unless the mod instructions say to (sometimes there might be a patch). Oh, and what version of OOO did you install and where did you download it from? There is at least one old version still on here. Make sure you have the latest.

By the way, Living Economy is considered not to be as good or as stable as the more recent mod Enhanced Economy by many people.

If you're intent on jumping straight into overhauls, you might want to go ahead and have a look at FCOM now, because switching to it later could be messy. Not that getting FCOM to work is easier, it's even harder. I don't advise you use OOO yet so I am not advising you use FCOM yet either. If you're going to end up there, though, you might as well go for broke and get it over with.

Adding any significant number of mods to your game requires that you learn how to use the basic tools. The absolute must have tools for Oblivion are OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager), BOSS (Better Oblivion Sorting Software) and Wrye Bash. If you can't install python for whatever reason, you can now use a pythonless version of Bash, so there is no longer any reason anyone should not use Bash. If you are going to start seriously modding the game, you will have a very hard time keeping it stable without a bashed patch. I personally consider Tes4Edit to be a must because you can use it to find conflicts and clean mods to prevent crashes. You should really have TES4LODGen and I would also add the official Construction Set in case you need to edit anything. You will absolutely need to learn about archive invalidation because some modded textures will not show up otherwise. OBMM can do archive invalidation for you or you can use Archive Invalidation Invalidated.

I couldn't play Oblivion at all without OBSE because of the infamous crash on exit issue. Oblivion does not exit elegantly even when it doesn't crash. I think since you are already crashing, you really should get Fast Exit and Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System like MarkInMKUK suggests. Those will prevent maybe 80% of crashes.

hey yall i been out of the game for awhile now and just decided to get back into it. i have the steam ver. of the GOTY edition and i was just wondering do i still need to install all the unofficial patches for it to make all the mods work?

hey yall i been out of the game for awhile now and just decided to get back into it. i have the steam ver. of the GOTY edition and i was just wondering do i still need to install all the unofficial patches for it to make all the mods work?

Unofficial patches are not required to make other mods work. They're for fixing bugs left behind.

Some mods do depend on the UOP and/or expect you to have the fixes from the unofficial patches. Once in awhile you will see them listed as requirements. Either way, they fix thousands of bugs and repair glitched quests. What's not to love?

ok i see, well what my worry was since i just bought the game off of steam i thought i would be the latest version with all the fixes. the unofficial patches i see date back more than a year or so, i was worried if i would be downgrading the game or something along those lines but your telling that there are bugs and broken things still in the game. Edited by fiabundem