Site redesign - 2016 Update #1

TheTokenGeek

I really hope the Tracking section gets a rework. It definitely needs to be able to sort into categories with filters or some type of way to keep track of which mods you are using. If the end user could separate them into their own private folders/sub-folders/categories and then leave a checkbox next to each mod that can be selected or maybe even a small comment field to leave notes, that would make that section immensely better. Even the ability to sort the list by A-Z would help a lot.

I think I have somewhere near 1k mods/files tracked now, and sorting through them to build a new mod list is going to take some serious organization on my part, which could be greatly helped through the website just by adding a few more features.

If this is going to get any revision I would really like to know, I would hold off until it is implemented to sort through my list. Thanks and great work thus far!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #34986585.

sbravo wrote: I really hope the Tracking section gets a rework. It definitely needs to be able to sort into categories with filters or some type of way to keep track of which mods you are using. If the end user could separate them into their own private folders/sub-folders/categories and then leave a checkbox next to each mod that can be selected or maybe even a small comment field to leave notes, that would make that section immensely better. Even the ability to sort the list by A-Z would help a lot.

I think I have somewhere near 1k mods/files tracked now, and sorting through them to build a new mod list is going to take some serious organization on my part, which could be greatly helped through the website just by adding a few more features.

If this is going to get any revision I would really like to know, I would hold off until it is implemented to sort through my list. Thanks and great work thus far!

Hello

The tracking system has been revamped

Things are now divided into categories (or not, you'll be able to turn them off) and can be sorted via names, versions, update date and a few other things.

Being that you're a user with over 1k files tracked, do you mind if I get you to PM me some contact details? Perhaps your email, Steam ID or something? I've been wanting to talk to someone who tracks a large amount of files.

Thanks

In response to post #34770380. #34891990, #34918540, #34923565 are all replies on the same post.

STURMKATTEN wrote: I like how it is / has always been. I'm just getting used to it now. If it changes, I'm back at square one.
If it's changing for people on mobile phones etc, then why don't they keep the PC version as it is? Okay, maybe make a few improvements, but a complete overhaul is just not needed in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck to them. Looks like a lot of work.
BlindJudge wrote: Hey Surmkatten,

The site as it stands at the moment is quite piecemeal, it has had features bolted on over the last few years which have maybe ended up in confusing locations.

They new site has been looked at with old and new eyes, the focus group has been incredible and truly helped shape the site for the general populous. It will be easy to navigate, easy to customise and your experience will only be enhanced by it.

I'm sure that you will love the final product, though we will be running both old and new concurrently for you to get used to it at your own pace.
STURMKATTEN wrote: Fair enough, thanks for reply, you may have made a typo on my name, but whatevs...
Oh I noticed something that I found awkward; When looking at the replies to my comments, I click on the notification in the drop-down list there, expecting it to take me to the reply, and on this occasion it did not, I had to scroll through all the entire thread here, to find your reply here. Anyone had that happen before? Looking forward to seeing the new look anyhow.
Zaldiir wrote: Imagine my shock when it change from this to how it is now! It does take some getting used to, but in the end, the site will be more intuitive and better to navigate for most people. :thumbsup:

@Zaldiir: Oh man, I'd forgotten about that old design. Whew boy.

In response to post #34770380. #34891990, #34918540, #34923565, #34989765 are all replies on the same post.

STURMKATTEN wrote: I like how it is / has always been. I'm just getting used to it now. If it changes, I'm back at square one.
If it's changing for people on mobile phones etc, then why don't they keep the PC version as it is? Okay, maybe make a few improvements, but a complete overhaul is just not needed in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck to them. Looks like a lot of work.
BlindJudge wrote: Hey Surmkatten,

The site as it stands at the moment is quite piecemeal, it has had features bolted on over the last few years which have maybe ended up in confusing locations.

They new site has been looked at with old and new eyes, the focus group has been incredible and truly helped shape the site for the general populous. It will be easy to navigate, easy to customise and your experience will only be enhanced by it.

I'm sure that you will love the final product, though we will be running both old and new concurrently for you to get used to it at your own pace.
STURMKATTEN wrote: Fair enough, thanks for reply, you may have made a typo on my name, but whatevs...
Oh I noticed something that I found awkward; When looking at the replies to my comments, I click on the notification in the drop-down list there, expecting it to take me to the reply, and on this occasion it did not, I had to scroll through all the entire thread here, to find your reply here. Anyone had that happen before? Looking forward to seeing the new look anyhow.
Zaldiir wrote: Imagine my shock when it change from this to how it is now! It does take some getting used to, but in the end, the site will be more intuitive and better to navigate for most people. :thumbsup:
Matoyak wrote: @Zaldiir: Oh man, I'd forgotten about that old design. Whew boy.

@Zaldiir, I love the old site because it is cleaner or down to the bones, not all these effects with shadows and 3D pretenders and so on and on and on...
He, he. I wish you the best

In response to post #34744535. #34895905, #34899205, #34961565 are all replies on the same post.

digitaltrucker wrote: Also, please please PLEASE make it so that whatever drop-down menus there are only drop down when you actually click the button and not just mouse over them.
BlindJudge wrote: We've been trying a few things out in this regard recently. I am in the camp of mouse rollover will open a menu, a few others in the click camp. What I have seen that I thought was interesting is the mix of them both.

a/ A user can click on a menu item to have it expand.
b/ A user can hover over a menu item for 0.3ms to have it expand.
c/ A user moving his mouse around the screen will not activate a menu item.

Thoughts?
digitaltrucker wrote: Well, see....there's these things called 'cookies' that some modern-ish websites use. One of the things these 'cookies' can do is allow for the ability to remember preferences.

:D (just having a chuckle)

Make it a configurable option and everyone's happy. It's just a huge PITA when a menu rolls out of nowhere obscuring the content you're actually trying to see.
cdcooley wrote: My problem with things popping up or expanding on mouse hover is that the mouse has to come to rest somewhere. It's extremely annoying when I move my mouse to get the pointer out of the way and it lands on some "menu" that then obscures the page. At the very least don't spread those sorts of things around the page like a mine field. Call me old fashioned, but the mouse has buttons for a reason and time-based automatic activity is a serous hardship for those with various disabilities.

A/ Click on a menu to open

In response to post #34744535. #34895905, #34899205, #34961565, #35002835 are all replies on the same post.

digitaltrucker wrote: Also, please please PLEASE make it so that whatever drop-down menus there are only drop down when you actually click the button and not just mouse over them.
BlindJudge wrote: We've been trying a few things out in this regard recently. I am in the camp of mouse rollover will open a menu, a few others in the click camp. What I have seen that I thought was interesting is the mix of them both.

Thoughts?
digitaltrucker wrote: Well, see....there's these things called 'cookies' that some modern-ish websites use. One of the things these 'cookies' can do is allow for the ability to remember preferences.

Make it a configurable option and everyone's happy. It's just a huge PITA when a menu rolls out of nowhere obscuring the content you're actually trying to see.
cdcooley wrote: My problem with things popping up or expanding on mouse hover is that the mouse has to come to rest somewhere. It's extremely annoying when I move my mouse to get the pointer out of the way and it lands on some "menu" that then obscures the page. At the very least don't spread those sorts of things around the page like a mine field. Call me old fashioned, but the mouse has buttons for a reason and time-based automatic activity is a serous hardship for those with various disabilities.
fredlaus wrote: A/ Click on a menu to open

A/ Click on a menu

In response to post #34744535. #34895905, #34899205, #34961565, #35002835, #35012420 are all replies on the same post.

Thoughts?

ordog2 wrote: A/ Click on a menu

I like your combined approach.

In response to post #34744535. #34895905, #34899205, #34961565, #35002835, #35012420, #35013705 are all replies on the same post.

Thoughts?

ordog2 wrote: A/ Click on a menu
Ronin Silfar wrote: I like your combined approach.

im into webdesign, here is a regular user do and understand when "cursoring":

- use HIGHLIGHTED color when hover over
(*make them knows which tab/button can be interact to)

- don't auto-expand menu, UNLESS being click
(*reducing bug where user cannot hidden expanded tabs after hovering on it)