a secret we don't know?

bladexdsl

• 2 weeks later...

I can only think of two things I've seen that might count as secrets, but one is (lightly) documented and the other I personally stuck a little info on the fallout wikia.

First is the hidden terminal in the Boston Public Library and the cut quest that gives you the BPL compressed tape. Have yet to see if any of the "techies" respond to it's presence (Tinker Tom, Sturges, etc.)

Second is the Kim Song backstory, there's a log tape in one of the houses in Natick Banks and it references things that are in turn referenced elsewhere... haven't had time to pursue beyond verifying that the residence noted in the logs *was* their residence, and military logs back another reference. Next step is to figure out where all these people would have gone and identify any traces (or skeletons) they would have left behind, potentially all the way down to re-exploring the Yangtze just in case.

I did find a cannon (not a weapon, but an honest to god early-mid 1800's naval artillery piece) in a box car on the tracks once, somewhere; also flashed past a smudge on a wall and had to stop and look again, it was a pixellated 'stamp' stencil of a woman's face. Got that screenshot somewhere, and reminds me that if you look at the scratches in the back walls of semi trailers you can see a face.

I keep finding smashed houses and trailers in the bottoms of ponds/lakes, seems there's always something I've never noticed before so I've started exploring places I'd never have thought to look... always checking under stairs, behind doors I've opened, around the outside of pretty much any structure, under anything that might have enough space to wiggle into, TCL'ing way into the air to scope out all the rooftops, then maybe outside the 'mapped' structures to see if I've missed any hidden locations, etc.

That last part is probably why I've got ~240 hours into my first play through and have stopped *right* after Institutionalized, to make sure I don't lock anything out for myself later on...

I believe it is either

- the terminal in the Glowing Sea at O'Neill Family Manufacturing which mentions the Mechanist a few times

- the terminal that activates the auto-detonation sequence of the giant Arc-jet engine you come across in the wild.

It could also be more abstract and refer to an airport or bus terminal though.

The fact that people have looked through every entry in FO4edit and come up with nothing definitive is quite interesting though - so maybe Todd is just hyping.

(Gives me de ja vu about finding the 'goose island' in Fable)

I believe it is either

- the terminal in the Glowing Sea at O'Neill Family Manufacturing which mentions the Mechanist a few times

- the terminal that activates the auto-detonation sequence of the giant Arc-jet engine you come across in the wild.

The fact that people have looked through every entry in FO4edit and come up with nothing definitive is quite interesting though - so maybe Todd is just hyping.

That terminal in O'Neill Manufacturing doesn't mention a Mechanist. It simply talks about their mechanic working on bots. One of the entries does mention a heavily modified Mr. Handy though.

I believe it is either

That terminal in O'Neill Manufacturing doesn't mention a Mechanist. It simply talks about their mechanic working on bots. One of the entries does mention a heavily modified Mr. Handy though.
So it said the word "mechanic" on the terminal, and not the word "mechanist" huh? You sure about that? Anyway, other than who is right / wrong about the spelling of that word, you are just guessing about its relevance the same as me, except I'm not shutting your theories down, because that's the opposite of working-together :)

Edit - it does appear that it says mechanic and not machinist / mechanist. So I admit that may be my mistake. It did seem to say mechanist when I checked around 1 week ago - following a thread - about it saying mechanist on those terminals. Now it says mechanic, so I'm mostly confused. I am happy to admit I'm probably mistaken but, I'm keen to know if they did once say mechanist and were changed recently perhaps :) all good.

Edit - I must have been high - it definitely does not say Mechanist. Lol.

Edited by RaffTheSweetling

I believe it is either

So it said the word "mechanic" on the terminal, and not the word "mechanist" huh? You sure about that? Anyway, other than who is right / wrong about the spelling of that word, you are just guessing about its relevance the same as me, except I'm not shutting your theories down, because that's the opposite of working-together :smile:

Edit - it does appear that it says mechanic and not machinist / mechanist. So I admit that may be my mistake. It did seem to say mechanist when I checked around 1 week ago - following a thread - about it saying mechanist on those terminals. Now it says mechanic, so I'm mostly confused. I am happy to admit I'm probably mistaken but, I'm keen to know if they did once say mechanist and were changed recently perhaps :smile: all good.

Edit - I must have been high - it definitely does not say Mechanist. Lol.

One never knows. I'm always running across something that I swear said or did something different the last time I ran across it. Again, though...I do find it interesting that the terminal talks about a possibly-illegally-modified Mr. Handy. Maybe the Mechanist is a pre-war ghoul? Maybe he was in that empty pod in Vault 111?

One never knows. I'm always running across something that I swear said or did something different the last time I ran across it. Again, though...I do find it interesting that the terminal talks about a possibly-illegally-modified Mr. Handy. Maybe the Mechanist is a pre-war ghoul? Maybe he was in that empty pod in Vault 111?

I really think there's more to 111 than we know, I think there was someone else in there with us who Kellogg let out first. Every time I start a new character I pay really close attention to everyone around the vault entrance or anyone who's already in but I haven't found anything yet.