Fallout 3

theNPC23b

So, what do you think? Oblivion with guns? Better? Worse?

I heard that they are adding multiple endings (9 - 12) depending on your actions, so I expect maybe 4 - 5. Combat looks ok, but they might not be able to complete it properly, like some features in Oblivion.

Seems to me that Bethesda is starting the hype machine early on this one, like they did with Oblivion. They only acquired the license for it about 12-18 months ago, and already they're releasing videos.

My faith in Bethesda's ability to deliver has wavered rather over the years. My advice to Fallout fans would be to take the hype with a pinch of salt and don't expect too much. They may pull it off, but at least if you're pessimistic you won't be as disappointed if they don't. ;)

Seems to me that Bethesda is starting the hype machine early on this one, like they did with Oblivion. They only acquired the license for it about 12-18 months ago, and already they're releasing videos.

My faith in Bethesda's ability to deliver has wavered rather over the years. My advice to Fallout fans would be to take the hype with a pinch of salt and don't expect too much. They may pull it off, but at least if you're pessimistic you won't be as disappointed if they don't. ;)

Yeah, hype can be dangerous. Just look what happened to Stalker.

One thing I never really liked with Fallout was its turn-based system. Nice for RTS, but not in RPG, in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well they showed an hour long demo at E3 this year, so I think they are a little farther along then some people think.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallout3/ne...tml?sid=6176067

I'm just glad that they are adding a lot more real time gameplay to this one. Never cared much for fallout's turn based boredom fest (mind you it is not as bad as some other games I've played).

PS - its good to finally see a discussion on the topic that doesn't have someone crying like a little baby about how Fallout 3 isn't going to be like fallout 2.

Well they showed an hour long demo at E3 this year, so I think they are a little farther along then some people think.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallout3/ne...tml?sid=6176067

I'm just glad that they are adding a lot more real time gameplay to this one. Never cared much for fallout's turn based boredom fest (mind you it is not as bad as some other games I've played).

PS - its good to finally see a discussion on the topic that doesn't have someone crying like a little baby about how Fallout 3 isn't going to be like fallout 2.

As long as they don't do something silly like make it into a 1st person shooter (Oblivion with guns), or get rid of the suggestive/dark themes I don't think it will turn out too bad. However, given the success with Oblivion:SI and the 1.2 series, chances are that the game itself will be bugged to hell and probably be less playable than a pre-patched NWN2. Unlike Oblivion, it probably won't come with anything you can use to fix them. Didn't really play fallout or fallout 2, probably won't play this one either, and if I do, atleast I won't have it's predecesors to compare it to... As Bethsoft probably intends.

It is however cross platform, so by default it'll be a piece of dumbed down rubbish.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a Fallout fan since the game first came out, 1998 IIRC. That was ten years ago. Naturally that the game won't be anything like its first two iterations, at least in terms of graphics and general gameplay. The switch to first person and real time doesn't surprise me, although I've heard rumors someplace that they'll allow Tactics like mode selection.

The main thing that will make Fallout 3 an actual Fallout game will be its mood, and thats what any real gamer looks for in a game. Will it be "Oblivion with guns"? Partly yes, especially for us who've played Oblivion and its expansions over and over again, we'll notice the similarities, but I as far as I can see, Bethesda is trying to keep that 1959 style, with the PipBoy and the overall look of the environment, the perks and whatnots.

The point is, its been 10 years, the game is bound to change. True, 2D gave a certain feeling to Fallout 1 & 2, but I don't see a reason why that can't be accomplished with a Next-Gen engine.

Also, I hope they call the AI Dimwit this time. Maybe it will work the opposite as with "Radiant". Khm.

Archived