Trying to make a research project that adds an instanced item

GrimyBunyip

Edit: Figured it out.

I'm getting the following redscreen errors upon research completion:

http://imgur.com/a/oz9Fk

Here is the function that runs when the research completes, it's more or less a copy paste from the exampleweapon project.

I'm not sure why I'm getting a "never added to history" error. Can anyone help me understand?

function IndentifyWeaponAR(XComGameState NewGameState, XComGameState_Tech TechState)
{
	local XComGameStateHistory History;
	local XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom OldXComHQState;	
	local XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom NewXComHQState;
	local XComGameState_Item ItemState;
	local X2ItemTemplateManager ItemMgr;
	local X2ItemTemplate ItemTemplate;

local X2WeaponUpgradeTemplate UpgradeTemplate;

//In this method, we demonstrate functionality that will add ExampleWeapon to the player's inventory when loading a saved
	//game. This allows players to enjoy the content of the mod in campaigns that were started without the mod installed.
	ItemMgr = class'X2ItemTemplateManager'.static.GetItemTemplateManager();
	History = `XCOMHISTORY;	

//Create a pending game state change
	NewGameState = class'XComGameStateContext_ChangeContainer'.static.CreateChangeState("Adding ExampleWeapon Objects");

//Get the previous XCom HQ state - we'll need it's ID to create a new state for it
	OldXComHQState = XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom(History.GetSingleGameStateObjectForClass(class'XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom'));

//Make the new XCom HQ state. This starts out as just a copy of the previous state.
	NewXComHQState = XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom(NewGameState.CreateStateObject(class'XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom', OldXComHQState.ObjectID));

//Make the changes to the HQ state. Here we add items to the HQ's inventory
	ItemTemplate = ItemMgr.FindItemTemplate('AssaultRifle_Central');

//Instantiate a new item state object using the template.
	//ItemState = ItemTemplate.CreateInstanceFromTemplate(NewGameState);

//`CREATE_X2TEMPLATE(class'X2WeaponUpgradeTemplate', UpgradeTemplate, 'AimUpgrade_Bsc');
	//ItemState.ApplyWeaponUpgradeTemplate(UpgradeTemplate);
	//ItemState.Nickname = "HelloWorld";
	NewGameState.AddStateObject(ItemState);

//Add the newly created item to the HQ inventory
	NewXComHQState.AddItemToHQInventory(ItemState);	

//Commit the new HQ state object to the state change that we built
	NewGameState.AddStateObject(NewXComHQState);

//Commit the state change into the history.
	History.AddGameStateToHistory(NewGameState);
}
Edited by GrimyBunyip

While I cant explain to you exactly what sequence of events will lead to your specific redscreen, I can point you to something that looks 'incorrect'.

In the second line you try to add the StateObject ItemState to your NewGameState. But since the first line is commented out, ItemState will be null at this point in time, and thats not a good thing to be.

In the middle of your first redscreen image, you can see XCom complaining about this: StateObject is NULL!

XCom is so unhappy, it even spend some money to get an exclamation mark in there.

Edited by eXecator

While I cant explain to you exactly what sequence of events will lead to your specific redscreen, I can point you to something that looks 'incorrect'.

In the second line you try to add the StateObject ItemState to your NewGameState. But since the first line is commented out, ItemState will be null at this point in time, and thats not a good thing to be.

In the middle of your first redscreen image, you can see XCom complaining about this: StateObject is NULL!

XCom is so unhappy, it even spend some money to get an exclamation mark in there.

Oops, I did have that line uncommented at some point during my testing. But I started commenting stuff out hoping to figure out what was wrong.

Here's the redscreen if I uncomment those lines of code:

http://imgur.com/L3Slt3Z

function IndentifyWeaponAR(XComGameState NewGameState, XComGameState_Tech TechState)
{
	local XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom OldXComHQState;	
	local XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom NewXComHQState;
	local X2ItemTemplateManager ItemMgr;

local X2WeaponUpgradeTemplate UpgradeTemplate;

//In this method, we demonstrate functionality that will add ExampleWeapon to the player's inventory when loading a saved
	//game. This allows players to enjoy the content of the mod in campaigns that were started without the mod installed.
	ItemMgr = class'X2ItemTemplateManager'.static.GetItemTemplateManager();
	History = `XCOMHISTORY;	

//Create a pending game state change
	NewGameState = class'XComGameStateContext_ChangeContainer'.static.CreateChangeState("Adding ExampleWeapon Objects");

//Get the previous XCom HQ state - we'll need it's ID to create a new state for it
	OldXComHQState = XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom(History.GetSingleGameStateObjectForClass(class'XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom'));

//Make the new XCom HQ state. This starts out as just a copy of the previous state.
	NewXComHQState = XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom(NewGameState.CreateStateObject(class'XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom', OldXComHQState.ObjectID));

//Make the changes to the HQ state. Here we add items to the HQ's inventory
	ItemTemplate = ItemMgr.FindItemTemplate('AssaultRifle_Central');

//Instantiate a new item state object using the template.
	ItemState = ItemTemplate.CreateInstanceFromTemplate(NewGameState);

`CREATE_X2TEMPLATE(class'X2WeaponUpgradeTemplate', UpgradeTemplate, 'AimUpgrade_Bsc');
	ItemState.ApplyWeaponUpgradeTemplate(UpgradeTemplate);
	ItemState.Nickname = "HelloWorld";

//Add the newly created item to the HQ inventory
	NewXComHQState.AddItemToHQInventory(ItemState);	

//Commit the new HQ state object to the state change that we built
	NewGameState.AddStateObject(NewXComHQState);

//Commit the state change into the history.
	History.AddGameStateToHistory(NewGameState);
}

Figured it out. Posting code for anyone who is curious:

local XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom XComHQ;
	local X2ItemTemplateManager ItemTemplateManager;
	local XComGameState_Tech CompletedTechState;
	local array<XComGameState_Tech> CompletedTechs;

ItemTemplateManager = class'X2ItemTemplateManager'.static.GetItemTemplateManager();
	ItemTemplate = ItemTemplateManager.FindItemTemplate('ModWeapon_CV');

foreach NewGameState.IterateByClassType(class'XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom', XComHQ)
	{
		break;
	}

if (XComHQ == none)
	{
		History = `XCOMHISTORY;
		XComHQ = XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom(History.GetSingleGameStateObjectForClass(class'XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom'));
		XComHQ = XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom(NewGameState.CreateStateObject(class'XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom', XComHQ.ObjectID));
		NewGameState.AddStateObject(XComHQ);
	}

// If it is possible for this item to be upgraded, check to see if the upgrade has already been researched
	if (ItemTemplate.UpgradeItem != '')
	{
		CompletedTechs = XComHQ.GetCompletedProvingGroundTechStates();
		foreach CompletedTechs(CompletedTechState)
		{
			if (CompletedTechState.GetMyTemplate().ItemsToUpgrade.Find(ItemTemplate.DataName) != INDEX_NONE)
			{
				// A tech has already been completed which has upgraded this item, so replace the template with the upgraded version
				ItemTemplate = ItemTemplateManager.FindItemTemplate(ItemTemplate.UpgradeItem);
				break;
			}
		}
	}

ItemState = ItemTemplate.CreateInstanceFromTemplate(NewGameState);
	ItemState.ApplyWeaponUpgradeTemplate(X2WeaponUpgradeTemplate(ItemTemplateManager.FindItemTemplate('AimUpgrade_Bsc')));

// Act as though it was just built, and immediately add it to the inventory
	ItemState.OnItemBuilt(NewGameState);

TechState.ItemReward = ItemTemplate; // Needed for UI Alert display info
	TechState.bSeenResearchCompleteScreen = false; // Reset the research report for techs that are repeatable

XComHQ.PutItemInInventory(NewGameState, ItemState);

`XEVENTMGR.TriggerEvent('ItemConstructionCompleted', ItemState, ItemState, NewGameState);