Reducing lag solutions/ better fps?

roiyaru

So my game runs OK, but there is some stutter in some areas especially when I use any high poly armor. I wanted to know a few things

Is gamebooster actually effective at what it does?

Is my chip good enough to run this? NVIDIA GeForce 7300

What other solutions beyond lowering resolution, streamline, and low poly grass mod are there.

I have Game Booster too. It doesn't really work as advertised for me, especially since I have a lot of RAM and a good processor to begin with; I have 3.5 GB RAM and a quad-core processor, and a very clean task manager so parallel processes aren't a problem with me. But it really does have some useful tools. I like the quick defragmentation tool, and the disk cleanup tool, which is actually the same one Windows has but in a convenient location, is also useful. I really just use it for the defrag.

Your card can run Oblivion, but you'll have to make a lot of sacrifices if you want smooth gameplay. Try to disable anti-aliasing. I also found that shadows and reflections are the heaviest on graphics processing (even moreso than texture rendering). Turning off shadows and reflections (or one or the other) will really boost your FPS.

There's a lot of other mods that are useful, like OPO, those smaller LOD texture/normal map packs (there's a few choices, search in TESNexus), among others. Streamline might help you maintain a fairly smooth FPS standard. It worked for me when I was on a really low-end machine, but some people say it doesn't work for them. It's easy to uninstall anyway if it doesn't work for you.

Worst case scenario, do what I used to do. If you're out in a field with lots of grass and whatnot, but you get attacked and the FPS is too low or unstable to actually win or even run away, just type TLB in the console lol. It'll make your game look pretty ugly cuz it kills shaders and effects, but you'll have a real FPS boost, at least until you get rid of your opponents, then you can turn it back off. But that's only for emergencies. I used it a lot cuz my video card was sadness, though. You might not have to, but it's just additional information. :)

So my game runs OK, but there is some stutter in some areas especially when I use any high poly armor. I wanted to know a few things

Is gamebooster actually effective at what it does?

Is my chip good enough to run this? NVIDIA GeForce 7300

What other solutions beyond lowering resolution, streamline, and low poly grass mod are there.

Have you tried the stutter remover mod found at http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=23208

Your video card is quite outdated. I recommend that you buy a new one. Stay away from the 7000 series because a few years ago, I had a rig sporting a 7800 gs and it still had many problems with massive stuttering and low frames when I only had the video settings on medium. If you're tight on budget, the 9800 is actually very a decent price now and can run Oblivion pretty well. The 250 is even cheaper in some cases, and is basically a 9800 with a different name.

You can also check out the ATI range. ATI cards are generally better bang for buck. Older Radeon gaming cards like the 4850/4870 are still very good even by today's standards and they only go for like $100 in some stores (a local store here has old stocks of those and they sell for much cheaper).

TY so much, I love you two for making my oblivion more bearable. I'll have to wait until late summer to get a new graph card anyway and when I do I want it to be good since ill be running elder scrolls 5 on 11/11/11 8)

Also check your antivirus. By default a lot of programs are set to "scan on file open" - with a program like Oblivion which continually accesses data files that's a real recipe for stutter. Set it up to ignore the Oblivion and OBSE processes except for the main scan (after all, you DO still want to check for viruses - just not while trying to play).

Check your CPU speed - a fast single core will easily outperform a slower dual or quad core FOR OBLIVION - it's a single process program and as such it doesn't make much use of the extra cores, just needs raw GHz.

Also try the Quiet feet mod - footfalls can really screw your speed up if you are using an integrated sound card.

Edited by MarkInMKUK