"Redneck" Video Card Modification

Trypal7

Here you'll see what >this< "redneck" does when I need more speed and much more cooling when money is tight. You have to become creative and daring. So here's the results below. A stock BFG Nvidia 7300GT runs at 350 gpu/mhz and 333 mhz ddr2. And it has a very tiny wimpy fan and heatsink. Runs slow and hot. Now.......

using the stock heatsink, this 4500 rpm fan covers the entire surface and tripples rpm and cfm. Also using Dynex silver thermal compound:) Big block vs. small block etc. Using just some leftover sign hardware I was able to figure out a way to work it. The new clock speeds are 401 GPU and 400 Mem. Using riva tuner of course. The max temp used to hit 80C!!!!! Now, as you'll see, it does'nt go above 62C even with Furmark 1.9 Burn-in. Fantastik results. And How does this relate to Oblivion? Simple, The temps don't go above 58C with all options at 1024x768, 2x AA, 2x Aniso and large detail. Frames will hit around 8-10 during full on storms or massive combat, other than that 22-30.

more screenshots to come.

Edited by Trypal7

In Game Screenshots using Nvidia System Tools of GPU temp and speed setting during full on storm, grass at full, all viewing distances, lods up, no shadows, low water reflections, 1024/768 res, 2x AA, 2X anisotrpic filtering with gamma correction and supersampling. I was trying to make the game crash or the card to, crash....it would'nt. I'm very pleased with the results of another day in >Redneckedness< ++

That's pretty impressive really. :dance: With reasonably lowered settings that's definitely playable. Also I noticed that your card is fairly cool in furmark. Mine (8600 GT) goes all the way up to 75° with its stock fan ramped up to full power (using MSI Afterburner), though I do get better FPS (about 5-6) with the same furry test. That could only mean that your improvised cooling system really is working lol.

Do you have an improvised cooling system for your CPU casing too, or do you just do the normal remove-the-side-panel thing?

Very very interesting, as I have the same card. How much $ would a fan like that cost to replace my own "wimpy" one xD

Thats really an awesome iprovement. I'm looking forward to the screens to come and would actually love to try this myself as it has to be a lot more cost efficient than buying a new card.

Though on base oblivion with my 7300 I get a lot better fps already for some reason. Massive combate the lowest is 25-30 fps and otherwise 45-50's when around npc's. Alone in 1st person I get about 80-85. Maybe its because its base oblivion

Very very interesting, as I have the same card. How much $ would a fan like that cost to replace my own "wimpy" one xD

Thats really an awesome iprovement. I'm looking forward to the screens to come and would actually love to try this myself as it has to be a lot more cost efficient than buying a new card.

Though on base oblivion with my 7300 I get a lot better fps already for some reason. Massive combate the lowest is 25-30 fps and otherwise 45-50's when around npc's. Alone in 1st person I get about 80-85. Maybe its because its base oblivion

Sorry it took so long to get back here. Have minor oblivion funk to iron out for MMM 3.7b3

I have mine set up for 30 fps max plus I have a lot turned on and on high quality both in game and nividia control panel. . Maybe I should try it out unlocked because you got some good fps's with a stock card. So, ya, I hope you do this mod and post your new speeds :)

On that fan, very cheap if not free. Exact dimensions for that type muffin fan; it's a DELTA "red label" 3" diagonal. 2" C to C for mounting holes and a smit more than a 1/2" thick. It litterly came of a reg Cpu heatsink for the AthlonXP 2200 I'm running. You can also look for a DELTA "black label" 3", those are very fast at about 6800 rpm. If you notice on the front of my box there is an external fan control, that came with the Cpu's replacement heatsink fan combo ThermalTake. You can get these fan controls separate and use it with you vid cards fan as well, has low, med and high.

Closer picture here , notice the 1/4" sheetmetal screws, and 2 90' clips made from a strip of sheet aluminum 1/16". I just used a jigsaw to cut a 4"x 5/8" strip off a scrap piece, pre-drilled 3/32 bit and tapped with the screws. Used channel locks and a small visegrip to bend the 90'. Then mount the fan to the 90's and mark your holes on the heatsink with the already drilled and tapped holes on the 90's. Drill the heat sink with the 3/32 as well and work the screws back and forth until they turn easy both ways and mount the fan and adjust ...tighten done.

The biggest tricky part of this mod, is compressing the flair posts that hold the heatsink on the card. I used a small needle nose real carefull not to slip or scratch the card for obvious reasons :) While doing this you'll be glad to know that the thermal compound that is there, sux, and anything is better. I use Dynex silver but there are other brands. That alone will drop a few degrees off. And just plug the fan to the motherboards "PWR FAN" or any open connect as they all provide the same power. But don't...use the vcards fan plug, it's to small anyway, and not using it will also free up some degrees as well as power consumption and heat. Now on my box, I have all air leaks closed on the front, and have taken off all the pci slot covers under the vid card, and use a 4" delta black label below the power supply for exaust as well as the power supply, it has dual fans and it pulls a lot of the heat out too. I did this because now All the cool air is being sucked in across the vid card and then up and out.

I'm happy to be of help. :)

Edited by Trypal7

Speaking of thermal compound - one of the UK PC magazines did a bit of its own redneck engineering, and tried the copper-loaded anti-squeal compound (such as Renolit) that you put on brakes on cars. Better conductivity than the silver-based compounds - might be worth comparing