Edit a texture or easier make it from scratch?

leot486

So I have a 1911 mod that I have had since Fo3 days.... I originally acquired it from ahztek weapon replacement pack. I was planning to port it over to Fo4 for myself, and if successful everyone else :D

But... One thing I have always wanted to change edit is some of the texture (and it looks like a bit of the mesh may need to be edited to).

I want to make it so the grips aren't full wrap around grips, and then have the color options of black or wood, I tried playing with it in gimp but I know how to splice things well, never really have taken a try on doing custom things. Also it looks like the area where the grip wraps around is slightly raised, hence why I would think some blender work would be needed to flush up the frame....

Only other thing would be maybe to clean up the end of the barrel I attempted to make look like threads. In blender i stretched the barrel then just edited the texture to make it appear like it was threaded, though it doesn't look that great.

So essentially... would it be easier to edit these or start from scratch? If edit any tips on how to start this procedure? Thanks in advance.

Yes that was my thought process as well and what I was going to attempt to do, but as I said I am entirely uneducated in using gimp effectively. Not sure if it would be easier to start from scratch or if doing the edit makes sense (I say it does), and the best way to go about it from there. As said also think I will need to do some mesh edits.... Lots of work, it seems like unless I am just over analyzing it.

Meshes are easier than textures imo, but texture edits are simple in gimp, its essentially opening it up and changing color tones, hues, brightness, etc.. or even just plopping some lil spots with the brushes (big list of brushes you see and get to choose from) and just make the paint red or whatever, its pretty easy really, I don't do texturing very well, but just look at the mods I have for this ~so far~ to see how easy it is, the mods to look at specifically are the shadowed flight helms and tactical stock for the hunting rifle, both of those done in like..... idk.. 10 mins?

You can really just go to youtube and watch a 10 minute basic guide and get the hang of editing textures in gimp, but the complex stuff and mapping and glows and such, idk unfortunately since I don't excel in texturing.

Mesh editing is fun though and pretty basic, start with the gun and just pull or shrink or whatever the parts you wanna edit. But I haven't tried to edit a mesh for FO4 yet, so it could be different than my past experiences, I don't even know how to add a new mesh to the game yet, but the mesh editing shouldn't be too different, again, youtube is your best friend.

So I have a 1911 mod that I have had since Fo3 days.... I originally acquired it from ahztek weapon replacement pack. I was planning to port it over to Fo4 for myself, and if successful everyone else :D

Just so you know, you can't upload a ported mod to the Nexus without permission of the original mod author. Unfortunately I can't see whether the creator of Ahztek's Weapons Overhaul gave permission for porting or not as the page has been hidden.

Isn't that the model from this mod?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10406/?

They look like the same mesh to me. However Doom, the author of that mod, credits GameBanana as the source of the mesh.

Checking that website, the mesh is licensed under a Creative Commons, Attribution - Non-Commercial - No Derivatives License.

No the new 1911 mod for fo4 is not this one, I like that 1911 for what it is meant to look like but it seems a bit off to me, a little big in hand for a 1911 (looks almost desert eagle size) and minor things that aren't accurate to the real thing. This one from ahzteks mod is and I would like to basically make the texture closely represent the one already in fo4.

as for uploading it.... I won't then unless I can see permissions for it... Though it seems ahztek borrowed it from else where as well and the place he picked it up from is open source?

Edited by leot486

Debating over the source of a model of a real weapon is silly. They'll all look the same because, surprise, they ARE the same!

But to the subject at hand, I personally prefer to work from scratch, rather than cut apart a pre-existing texture. This lets you avoid trying to match the existing colour of the texture, as well as any awkward "seams" in the texture, as you are just working from your own personal base coat that you set and detailing from there. Just don't forget to make a new normal map to go with it, otherwise you'll still have the shading from the grooves on your (what I presume to be) smooth grip.

Edited by FreedomsFlame

Okay so I edited the model in blender, it now looks like it has two normal grip plates and not wrap around grips. Problem is the texture... Not sure even in the slightest how to go about this.... I have no idea how these flat image textures even know how to wrap around their designated object the right way :tongue: Also under the grip in the existing texture the maker put the textures for the sights their, and some other pieces so now those are visible without the front strap.... I can't just erase that because then the sights and such wont have a texture....

Strange instance: so one of the areas I had to fill in from deleting the front strap, even though in blender it shows having a face doesn't have one in nifskope or ingame (testing in new vegas).... In blender only thing I am noticing is it looks shaded, or shadowed in comparison to the rest of it. Any idea why this face isn't showing?

As for the texture... still at a loss.

Edited by leot486

Okay so I edited the model in blender, it now looks like it has two normal grip plates and not wrap around grips. Problem is the texture... Not sure even in the slightest how to go about this.... I have no idea how these flat image textures even know how to wrap around their designated object the right way :tongue: Also under the grip in the existing texture the maker put the textures for the sights their, and some other pieces so now those are visible without the front strap.... I can't just erase that because then the sights and such wont have a texture....

Strange instance: so one of the areas I had to fill in from deleting the front strap, even though in blender it shows having a face doesn't have one in nifskope or ingame (testing in new vegas).... In blender only thing I am noticing is it looks shaded, or shadowed in comparison to the rest of it. Any idea why this face isn't showing?

As for the texture... still at a loss.

Upload the nif and I'll see what I can do. Or the obj or the fbx or the ma. Idc, just would hope it was uv'd already. Would also be helpful to see the original textures, to see what was not modeled and instead the normal map was used. I can use Substance Painter or ZBrush's multi-channel materials, which I just saw the 4 channel polypainted mesh make a perfect fake of a human actor.