My saves will NOT load.

If I read it correctly while reading through the thread, when you tried the 'delete oblivion.ini' step you had oblivion_default.ini deleted (in the recycle bin) at the same time. Oblivion uses oblivion_default.ini to build a new oblivion.ini with all the default values when you start the game and an oblivion.ini doesn't exist. When you tried starting the game with neither file available it was unable to create a new oblivion.ini with default values. Try the steps Aryeonos outlined after you have deleted the oblivion.ini file but not the oblivion_default.ini file.

OK, here's what I did. I kept the oblivion_default as is, but I deleted the oblivion.ini and the oblivion.ini.temp (which had a file size of 0KB, so I believe it to be worthless). Then I ran oblivion.exe, as opposed to obse_loader. Same thing happened. My UI was screwed up; the main menu loaded but crashed when loading a save. Did I miss a step or do something wrong? Of course, I restored the oblivion.ini files afterward.

Forget the DarN UI disable it for now, enable it latter after you've fixed the current problem.

I'd recommend disabling any mods that have ini files as well.

Also I recommend disabling any mods you installed recently perhaps all of them and just start small from a new game. Try just making a new game with all of your mods disabled and if it still crashes you'll probably have to reinstall Oblivion.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you've covered the possibility that your oblivion.ini was not recreated correctly the first time (which was also the probable cause for your zero byte oblivion.ini.temp). Your UI being messed up is likely just as a result of not running with OBSE (which DarN UI probably requires). Did you try a new game with the fresh obilivion.ini (the one created after deleting/renaming your old oblivion.ini)?

I think you've covered the possibility that your oblivion.ini was not recreated correctly the first time (which was also the probable cause for your zero byte oblivion.ini.temp). Your UI being messed up is likely just as a result of not running with OBSE (which DarN UI probably requires). Did you try a new game with the fresh obilivion.ini (the one created after deleting/renaming your old oblivion.ini)?

So far, I've only tried loading games. When I delete oblivion.ini, should I also delete oblivion.ini.temp?

I would. I'm pretty sure your oblivion.ini.temp was created when you tried starting Oblivion when you had deleted both oblivion.ini and oblivion_default.ini. The game would have tried to start, looked for oblivion.ini but couldn't find one, then looked for oblivion_default.ini to create a new oblivion.ini with the default values (it uses oblivion_default.ini as a source for those default values) and when it couldn't find oblivion_default.ini it failed to finish starting. I think the zero byte oblivion.ini.temp you have was created then (a file name but no contents that the game would have renamed oblivion.ini if it had been successful in reading oblivion_default.ini).

You don't actually need to delete the oblivion.ini ... renaming it to oblivionini.old will do (that's how I do it when troubleshooting my own machine). Either ignore the UI weirdness caused by DarN UI and it's missing fonts etc. or do as Aryeonos suggests and temporarily uninstall DarN UI while you're sorting through this problem. If your game still fails to start when trying a new game then I would say a possible next step would be uninstalling mods and trying to start either a new game (if you stick with the newly created oblivion.ini while troubleshooting) or from one of your problematic saves (if you revert to your original oblivion.ini by renaming oblivionini.old to oblivion.ini or rescuing oblivion.ini from the trash if you used the delete method). If you have a lot of mods to uninstall you'll probably want to use the block method (uninstalling a bunch of similar or related mods at a time, then if you find your game starting normally between blocks you don't have so many to re-install to narrow down the problem).

Another thing that pops to mind ... when you're trying your new game start with a fresh default value oblivion.ini try starting the game with the Oblivion_loader.exe as well as the Oblivion.exe (your normal desktop shortcut, before you installed OBSE used Oblivion_loader.exe to start the game). If your game is fixable without re-installing Oblivion it will be a small detail that needs finding and fixing, and it can be frustrating work doing the finding part. Good luck.

All right, I'll just ignore the UI weirdness as everything is still readable just a bit misplaced.

It's caused because DarN UI modifies the oblivion.ini changing the fonts and font sizes, amongst other things, just disable DarN for now and install it at the very end of your trouble shooting.

I tried deleting the oblivion.ini, deactivating the DarN UI, and starting the game from the Oblivion Launcher rather than the direct .exe or the obse loader. Now, it won't even load the main menu. It gets past the opening credits, what with the Bethesda stuff and all that, and when it loads the main menu, it crashes.

When you tried starting after deleting your original oblivion.ini did the game create a new oblivion.ini with default values before crashing?

The reason I asked is I was thinking perhaps the crash is due to your hardware not playing nice with the default values. For example, things like AA forced in your graphics driver control panel (which would be how you would have got AA and HDR as the game engine won't offer AA when HDR is selected instead of Bloom). I know from following your posts over the past months that your game is modded and tweaked ... what extent your current setup is tweaked I'm not sure of. If you try my rename method instead of deleting oblivion.ini you may be able to quickly prove or disprove my theory. In Windows Explorer find the current oblivion.ini (should be in the My Documents) and right click then rename it oblivionini.new (if it's the newly created one from your previous deleting and recreating test) or oblivionini.old if it's your original one. If it's the new one, then recover the original oblivion.ini from the recycle bin (or if you renamed the original oblivion.ini to oblivionini.old then just rename it to oblivion.ini).

Where I'm going with this is checking to see if Oblivion will start to the menu normally with your old oblivion.ini vs not making it to the menu with the new oblivion.ini containing the default values. If that's the case you could open each side by side in two instances of Notepad and compare values that would affect or be affected by your hardware.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you previously setup your system to force the use of Shader 3.0 (as per Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak guide ... see the bAllow30Shaders section part way down this page of the guide if you're unsure what I'm talking about). You could have a look at your RendererInfo.txt (located in the same folder as your oblivion.ini) in any case and see if it has correctly identified your graphics card (I believe that file is recreated as part of the creating a new oblivion.ini but I could be mistaken there).

Bottom line here is try to find out if your crash before the menu is because of the new oblivion.ini with default values or not.