My saves will NOT load.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't already, try deleting/renaming the oblivion.ini in My Games\Oblivion. You will have to reset all your graphics settings, but, see if the game will work.

I believe I tried that a while ago, temporarily moving the .ini files to the recycle bin. The only effect I remember it having is screwing up my DarNified UI (the text was fine, and the game ran until loading a save; it's just that the text looked a bit squished against the text cells). Of course, I then restored the .ini

• 2 weeks later...

According to popular theory, you can go to the saves tab in bash, select a save game, and in a panel on the right, it will list master files for that game. (both esm, and esp files) You should be able to de-select the files that aren't there anymore, click the save button below that panel, and remove them that way.

I have never used this particular feature, so, I am not precisely sure how, or if, it actually works. Could test it on an older save, and see if you have any success that way.

And just as a quick reminder for me... can you start a new game?

Yes, de-selecting only disables them by putting XX in front of the name and changing any .esm files to .esp As for a new game, I haven't tried that yet for fear of screwing things up further (I even plan to install a new race mod), but I'll try it when I have time, but even if that does work, it still means that the saves I already have are screwed.

Edit: OK, I confirmed it. I can NOT start a new game either, so I don't think the problem is with the saves. It might be Oblivion itself.

I think we have established that the saves are definately not the cause or a problem. I have to check again, but have you deleted oblivion.ini from your documents, in C:\Users\Aryeonos\Documents\My Games\Oblivion and launched oblivion from the disk menu without OBSE yet?

If I read it correctly while reading through the thread, when you tried the 'delete oblivion.ini' step you had oblivion_default.ini deleted (in the recycle bin) at the same time. Oblivion uses oblivion_default.ini to build a new oblivion.ini with all the default values when you start the game and an oblivion.ini doesn't exist. When you tried starting the game with neither file available it was unable to create a new oblivion.ini with default values. Try the steps Aryeonos outlined after you have deleted the oblivion.ini file but not the oblivion_default.ini file.

If I read it correctly while reading through the thread, when you tried the 'delete oblivion.ini' step you had oblivion_default.ini deleted (in the recycle bin) at the same time. Oblivion uses oblivion_default.ini to build a new oblivion.ini with all the default values when you start the game and an oblivion.ini doesn't exist. When you tried starting the game with neither file available it was unable to create a new oblivion.ini with default values. Try the steps Aryeonos outlined after you have deleted the oblivion.ini file but not the oblivion_default.ini file.

OK, here's what I did. I kept the oblivion_default as is, but I deleted the oblivion.ini and the oblivion.ini.temp (which had a file size of 0KB, so I believe it to be worthless). Then I ran oblivion.exe, as opposed to obse_loader. Same thing happened. My UI was screwed up; the main menu loaded but crashed when loading a save. Did I miss a step or do something wrong? Of course, I restored the oblivion.ini files afterward.

Edited by MidbossVyers