Graphics Cards

Pretty basic:

I currently have a GeForce 9 series.

Processors are first gen quad at... 2.4, I believe. Motherboard is SLI ready, but I am not sure I want to utilize (I had decided to get it simply for the option; a just in case type of thing).

I have 4G of RAM, and will likely increase it by 2G later on.

I'm hoping a Nexonian would be able to direct me to a stable, upgraded video card (upgraded when compared to what I have now).

I was looking at the 560 Ti or the 580.

Thoughts (not restricted to the two I was looking at)?

GTX 580 is overkill, but if you've got a lot extra money you can solely dedicate on buying a new graphics card, sure, go ahead and buy it.

For good performance but still fairly cheap, check out the HD 6950.

For a little extra cash over the 6950, the 6970/GTX 570.

But I think the 560 Ti is decent too.

The 6950 is in the 250 dollar range AFAIK, so if you get even more extra money you could buy another one for crossfire, which should have you set for any games for a while.

6950 1GB might be had for 250$ or there abouts but on a 2GB model which I recommend for 1080p or higher resolution, you're looking closer to 300$ after tax/ship based on where you live.

For a cheap option the 560Ti will do, especially some of the factory overclocked variants with custom cooling.

If you really want to spend, a 6950 2GB or 570 would be the way to go.

Keep in mind the rest of your system may hold you back if you go for a high end GPU purchase.

6970 2 gig if ya got the cash try and get the sapphire battlefeald badcompany 2 veatnam game edit

if you are mega ritch...... the 6990 yes its overkill but "its the fastest grafix card on the market"... as for your old card.. keep it as a detacated phix card thats if it supports it.. if not.. try and sell it privetly... help ya get a new card

Edited by gormonk

6970 2 gig if ya got the cash try and get the sapphire battlefeald badcompany 2 veatnam game edit

if you are mega ritch...... the 6990 yes its overkill but "its the fastest grafix card on the market"... as for your old card.. keep it as a detacated phix card thats if it supports it.. if not.. try and sell it privetly... help ya get a new card

There really isn't much of a reason to purchase a 6970 over a 6950. He also would have no reason to get a 6990 as the rest of his system would definitely be struggling to keep up with it.

The 6990 (and 590) is in a completely different category when it comes to overkill than the GTX 580.

There's no reason to get it and it shouldn't be even considered by anyone who doesn't actually need it for their job or smthing.

The 6990 (and 590) is in a completely different category when it comes to overkill than the GTX 580.

There's no reason to get it and it shouldn't be even considered by anyone who doesn't actually need it for their job or smthing.

imo it is for 3d multi monitor gaming. You will need at least 2GB vram for virtually any sort of multi monitor gaming. Add 3d into the mix and you will basically be pushing the card pretty far.

imo it is for 3d multi monitor gaming. You will need at least 2GB vram for virtually any sort of multi monitor gaming. Add 3d into the mix and you will basically be pushing the card pretty far.

lol, didn't think of that

Ok, maybe in that kind of an extreme case someone could actually think about buying it without being crazy, or if they are extreme enthusiasts and want big, big benchmark scores

But I'll always assume people don't have that setup unless they say so

Edited by Nysba

Lol nope, I don't have that setup as appealing as it may sounds.

I think for what I have right now, the 570 would be pushing it but probably doable. 560 may just be what I need. That way, when I update the entire rig (1st gen quads are starting to become too old), I can start with the SLI boards and one card (duplicate of whatever I choose now).

Also, I apologize for any grammar or spelling errors. Using the phone to post.