Geck Question: How to add your own 1st person model

Darth Dan 12

Well you have the tree on the left collapsed so I cannot see any of your setup. From what I can see though, it looks like you have no BSFadeNode, so this will probably not work as a weapon ingame. Take a look at some of the weapons from new vegas and see how they have them setup, it should help you understand which nodes are required for certain purposes.

I can't figure out how to even get the values to be similar. Nifskope is very annoying to work with.

Where did you get the silencer from, did you make it or copy and paste it? If you just copied it then this should be rather simple to sort out.

- Right click on the silencer from whatever you want to grab it from and select copy branch.

- Right click on the BSFadeNode in your weapon (Top of list) and select paste branch.

- Rescale/Reposition as needed.

If you made the mesh (I imagine it's either an .obj or .3ds file)

- Open Nifskope and import your mesh.

- Go to Spells - Stripify TriShapes.

- Right click on the NITriStripData node and select copy.

- Close Nifskope and load your weapon now.

- Duplicate a static piece of your weapon (Barrel, or reciever) and select Duplicate branch.

- With the Duplicated piece selected, scroll down the lower column on the bottom of the screen until you see the NITriStipData and right click on it and select paste.

As you can see it's somewhat easier to just take an existing silencer and attach it rather than just making one but it is still fairly simple either way. For more on getting custom meshes into nifskope I do have a tutorial on that subject if you wanted it.

I can't figure out how to even get the values to be similar. Nifskope is very annoying to work with.

most values are editable. depending on what it is, there is either an icon to click(which usually brings up a submenu or explorer folder navigation box, a drop down list to select options from, or you simply click the field you want to edit and start typing.

Where did you get the silencer from, did you make it or copy and paste it? If you just copied it then this should be rather simple to sort out.

- Right click on the silencer from whatever you want to grab it from and select copy branch.

- Right click on the BSFadeNode in your weapon (Top of list) and select paste branch.

I put the shotgun and silencer (from 12.7mm pistol) together in blender, then exported the .nif. Could I have just done that in Nifskope?

Edited by Darth Dan 12

Yes, I can teach you some basic cut and paste modding if you'd like. Suffice it to say though those steps in the first section of that post I posted is how you would do that.

The copying of branches is simple enough, the reason you copy the whole branch is so that it is still considered the same piece as you copied. (has the texture node and such rather than just the mesh node (NiTriStripData Node))

Paste it on the BSFadeNode from your weapon, then reposition.

Repositioning is easy if you've done it before but if you have not than you probably do not know what vales to alter.

Here is a tutorial - Turorial

The problem I have in doing it in blender is if I attach a mesh to another than I need to use one single texture since it is now one piece instead of two, I do not texture so this is unacceptable. Because of this I prefer to split a mesh into as many pieces as I possibly can so that texturing becomes quite simple. This is the reason the AN-94 in my stalker weapons pack has no silencer, I would have had to attach it in blender since the barrel pumps back and forth meaning if I had two separate pieces the silencer would just stay put as the barrel moves back and forth, I would have had to work the AN-94 texture into the silencer. This is why I would have to recommend just doing it in Nifskope.

Yes, I can teach you some basic cut and paste modding if you'd like. Suffice it to say though those steps in the first section of that post I posted is how you would do that.

The copying of branches is simple enough, the reason you copy the whole branch is so that it is still considered the same piece as you copied. (has the texture node and such rather than just the mesh node (NiTriStripData Node))

Paste it on the BSFadeNode from your weapon, then reposition.

Repositioning is easy if you've done it before but if you have not than you probably do not know what vales to alter.

Here is a tutorial - Turorial

Thanks. I did try it out just using NifSkope. I just have one issue: Is there a way I can see the entire model in color in NifSkope? It's hard to tell if the silencer fits properly when everything is white.

Edited by Darth Dan 12

The white is because it's texture path is broken (It's not really broken, it's just nifskope that is broken).

Go to Render - Settings - Then add the folder that contains the textures (I just use New Vegas Data as the folder)