The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

Hey, how about my PC?

I know it's not very new, but I wanna know if I will be able to run Skyrim in a playable manner.

CPU: Pentium D 1.8 GHz OC'd to ~2.4 GHz

GPU: nVidia 8800 GT (an asus build I think)

2 GB RAM

res: 1280×1024

Edited by Ferdil

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be able to run Skyrim on Max, to about Max settings considering I can run all of Bethesda's games in the past on Max settings. It's on my Asus G60-JX gaming laptop

Specs:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB

CPU: Intel i5 430M 2.7 GHz on Extreme Turbo boost

HDD: 500GB 7200RPM

Res: 1336x768, but I game on my external 24" 1080p monitor.

RAM: 4GB 1066MHz

Think this should run it:

Intel Core i7-2600k (not overcloked)

8GB DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB

1.5 TB

Intel P67 chipset

Windows 7 Home Premium

You will NOT need 8gb of RAM.

If you're upgrading for this game, please keep in mind going over 4* gigs of DDR3 RAM is pointless. You won't use that extra RAM in the game.

Edit; Also. Google it.

The best speculations are based on what we know, no one can say yes or no (unless it doesn't meet today's standard gaming specs), just give you a ballpark answer. They'll give us the specs at some point, just be patient.

Try the falcon guide for further references of what's good and what's not. It's something anyone building a PC should be using as a reference.

Edited by dwellufool

8GB DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB

1.5 TB

Intel P67 chipset

Windows 7 Home Premium

If you're upgrading for this game, please keep in mind going over 6 gigs of DDR3 RAM is pointless. You won't use that extra RAM in the game.

and going 6GB on that rig would be even more pointless since the LGA 1155 (Intel Core i7-2600k) uses Dual channel technology and therefore it's better to go with 2x4gb instead of 3x2 like you're suggesting. (I've never seen a 3gb stick of RAM being sold ANYWHERE, so I'll assume they don't exist or are very hard to get, and not worth it)

But yes, that rig will probably run Skyrim just fine on Max settings.

Edited by Nysba

8GB DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB

1.5 TB

Intel P67 chipset

Windows 7 Home Premium

If you're upgrading for this game, please keep in mind going over 6 gigs of DDR3 RAM is pointless. You won't use that extra RAM in the game.

and going 6GB on his rig would be even more pointless since the LGA 1155 (Intel Core i7-2600k) uses Dual channel technology and therefore it's better to go with 2x4gb instead of 3x2 like you're suggesting. (I've never seen a 3gb stick of RAM being sold ANYWHERE, so I'll assume they don't exist or are very hard to get, and not worth it)

I already corrected that mistake a while ago. Refresh often >.>

Nvidia 9800GT

4GB DDR2 RAM

AMD Athlon Dual core 3.1 ghz

There's still some fight left in this old dog, in fact this old dog managed to run The Witcher 2 on pretty much high details, textures: very high, shadows: max, all lightning effects except that annoying sun shaft: on. Moderate antialiasing(4x) no ubersampling and low to medium view distance and that's pretty much it. All in all the settings I want are on, and my witcher looked amazing.

Think I could run Skyrim on high, medium high at least?

You have the same specs as me. :rolleyes:

From my experiences with it, it SHOULD run skyrim on medium at least.

Edited by Dastardlybob

No thanks. And 4gb is borderline, though not as much as something like 3 (or 2 :ohdear:) , better just get 8. A lot of people have other programs running in the background, some more than others.

No thanks. And 4gb is borderline, though not as much as something like 3 (or 2 :ohdear:) , better just get 8. A lot of people have other programs running in the background, some more than others.

That's doubling the standard for something you might not even use, a person should really look into it before doing so. I mean, if you run something demanding and you know it, that makes sense, but otherwise I don't see why a gamer would go any higher.

I guess just look into it. Will you use it?

That's doubling the standard for something you might not even use, a person should really look into it before doing so. I mean, if you run something demanding and you know it, that makes sense, but otherwise I don't see why a gamer would go any higher.

I guess just look into it. Will you use it?

Most people who game on a PC do a lot more than just game. If your running a 64bit OS it will be using 1.7 - 2.1 gb all by itself and if you only have 4gb of Ram your going to be stretching it to the max while running only a game and nothing else. Like it or not 8gb is the new standard min and it's bad advice to tell anyone to go with less. Especially considering you can get 8gb of high performance ddr3 1600 for 85-100$. Saving 40-50$ to minimize your system's RAM is utterly pointless now with the new standards of hardware. You should keep up with the evolution of PC hardware and stop giving the same advice you gave three years ago.