The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

ram will likely not be a big issue, xbox has 512mb of shared system and gfx mem. where as anyone with a low end of the middle gpu will have 1GB, not to mention have an average of 2-4GB of system ram.

However saying that, consoles generally get 2x more out of their components than PCs, they don't run HD resolution, and PC Skyrim will ship with higher res textures than console versions (Yes Todd said that months ago)

It is apples and oranges.

Anyone playing HD on recent games will probably be playing HD on Skyrim too.

I'm just talking about the minimum specs, just running it, not running it on HD or anything else. The thread is about whether it will run, not really about how well it will run.

Also, in comparing apples and oranges one can pretty easily say that both are roundish fruit of about the same size. Direct comparisons are also available, take any game for both console and PC and run it on both at the same settings.

Your 2x figure doesn't stand up to close scrutiny in any way. The CPU of the xbox360 is a triple core and clocks in at 3.2ghz, by that logic we'd need around a six core cpu at 3.2 ghz or a 3 core cpu at 6.4 to play it on a PC at console settings. It just doesn't work, consoles are at best moderately more efficient at playing games on a 1:1 basis. They mainly have an advantage due to their manufacturing efficiencies and subsidized prices which leads to a much lower cost per computing power for the consumer.

Odd because my old PC was only 2.2 GHZ 2GB Ram 256MB Video card and it ran GTA IV, Fallout 3 and every other game better than the PS3 and 360. With mods too. You forget the Fact that even with a "Horrible PC" it can be optimized to get rid of unnecessary things.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run Oblivion, FO3 and NV on my computer but theyre all more or less the same tech. I'm worried about Skyrim though its a new engine entirely and ive been dissapointed with a few games recently my laptop is fairly modern in most respects but it only has a single core so Im kinda worried it wont run on my laptop, I have a single core 2.4ghz a 128 meg ati radeon 4200 HD and 2 gigs of ram, Is it possible to upgrade these on a laptop?

I don't think your going to be able to max it out but with that rig I doubt you maxed out fallout or oblivion either right? .. I'm sure it will run though.

I don't want to be rude and just come here for an answer, but I really can't help you guys since I don't know much about computers.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39 GHz

Memory (RAM) 4 GB

Systemtype: 32-Bite Operative system

This is pretty much all I could find, do you reckon I could run Skyrim? If so on which graphics? Obviously I just need your guesswork since we don't know the requirements.

I don't want to be rude and just come here for an answer, but I really can't help you guys since I don't know much about computers.

Memory (RAM) 4 GB

This is pretty much all I could find, do you reckon I could run Skyrim? If so on which graphics? Obviously I just need your guesswork since we don't know the requirements.

looks ok but you dont have the specs on your video card. if you dont know more then likely its because its integrated graphics or a video card that isnt for gaming both of which wont play skyrim well if at all.

can you play oblivion or fallout with this PC?

Memory (RAM) 4 GB

looks ok but you dont have the specs on your video card. if you dont know more then likely its because its integrated graphics or a video card that isnt for gaming both of which wont play skyrim well if at all.

I can play Oblivion. For the graphics card info, I found it: ATI Radeon HD 3870. But is my computer really that out of place so I wouldn't be able to play Oblivion?

Memory (RAM) 4 GB

I can play Oblivion. For the graphics card info, I found it: ATI Radeon HD 3870. But is my computer really that out of place so I wouldn't be able to play Oblivion?

HD 3870 should do ok not great

Memory (RAM) 4 GB

HD 3870 should do ok not great

Alright, thx man. So do you reckon my setup can put up with medium-good settings without any difficulties?

Alright, thx man. So do you reckon my setup can put up with medium-good settings without any difficulties?

Yes, probably.

I recommend getting a better GPU, like the 4870 it's very cheap.

If you have a bit more money you could get a 6850/6870 that would run Skyrim on max.

But you're ok with what you have now.