The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

am i the only one who thinks that the PSU in that list is a tad small?!?!? Edited by MizerD

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, do you think I can run Skyrim?

Specs -

CPU Intel Pentium G850 (2 x 2.9 GHZ)

<snip>

Memory 1GB PC3-10666 1333MHz (1x1GB) DDR3

Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 - 1 GB - (EVGA) (PCI-E)

<snip>

Thanks.

The CPU is a bit old, though it should not really be a problem (If you have the money you should upgrade to a quad core, search through this thread to see a few recommendations), GPU is fine.

Though the RAM is lacking, 1Gb is definitely not enough. You should buy 2 more GB.

With 3Gb of RAM and these specs I reckon you will be able to play it on high-ish.

Would appreciate it a lot if someone could give his/her opinion about my laptop running Skyrim (on near max setting?):

ASUS G73SW

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM

Intel® Core™ i5 2410M

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate

Genuine Windows® 7 Professional

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

This version contains all product updates (SP1)

Chipset

Intel® HM65 Express Chipset

Memory

DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM,4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 G SDRAM (Quad Core),2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 G SDRAM (Dual Core), *2

Display

17.3" 16:9 HD+ (1600x900)/Full HD (1920x1080)/Full HD 3D(1920x1080 120Hz) LED backlight

Graphic

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM

Storage

2.5" SATA

750GB 7200rpm

640GB 5400rpm

500GB 5400rpm/7200rpm

500GB 7200rpm SSH

Dual HDD Support*1

Thanks a lot in advance. I bought this laptop about 1,5month ago and played The Witcher 2 at max, and tbh can't believe if this laptop wouldn't run Skyrim nearly at max settings.

Uhh...haha. First off, which processor do you have? And which Operating System? Because it looks like you just copy+pasted a customization page on some laptop site. You're not going to have both processors in a laptop, no way. And certainly not FOUR hard drives. Could you cut out all the other stuff and tell us what you really have?

Regardless of what you have in there, based off your "options" your laptop is more than capable. Though I'm really curious how many arms and legs you had to give for such a pricey laptop...a GTX 460 1.5GB would be pretty expensive for a lappie.

All that quality merchandise and you go and put kingston in there? :facepalm:

kingston have been in the industry for quite some time, besides here in OZ we aren't exactly fat on choices,the only other choices I have are G.skill - which I don't like at all. I could go for Corsair - they do produce decent DDR3 ram with well designed cooling, which in case you haven't noticed is a rather important thing for me.

Yeah i did notice, I just figured you'd have Corsair in there :)

Over the years I have found that kingston modules tend to be better at handling higher voltages and clock speeds, Corsair do pretty darned well too.

Ah, see now i know near to F*ck all when it comes to clocks (can hardly operate an alarm clock!) is that why you went for kingston? better clock results?

Hi guys, do you think I can run Skyrim?

Specs -

Black ATX Gaming Tower Case

CPU Intel Pentium G850 (2 x 2.9 GHZ)

CPU Heatsink Intel Heatsink & Fan - Low Noise

Memory 1GB PC3-10666 1333MHz (1x1GB) DDR3

Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 - 1 GB - (EVGA) (PCI-E)

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 (Intel H67)

Sound Card Motherboard Integrated HD Sound

Networking Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)

Power Supply 350W PSU

Hard Drive #1 320 GB SATA-II 16MB (FREE UPGRADE TO 500GB BEFORE 11:59 PM ON 23-10-11)

Optical Drive #1 Samsung 24x DVD Re-Writer/Reader /- RW- Black - Lightscribe (SATA)

Card Reader Internal Card Reader 50-in-1 (Silver)

Office Software OpenOffice 3.2.1 (Unlimited PC License)

Security Software Microsoft Security Essentials (Basic Protection)

Backup Software Restore DVD & Original Operating System DVD

Keyboard Logitech Ultra Flat Keyboard (USB)

Mouse Logitech B110 Optical USB Mouse (USB)

Speakers Logitech S120 2.0 Multimedia Speakers - Black

Free Gift FREE - WebCam - Headphones & Microphone

Thanks.

I hope you realize that a free webcam, your motherboard's integrated sound and ethernet, optical drive, card reader, Open Office, antivirus, backup software, speakers, a mouse and keyboard doesn't matter at all, why bother listing it? Even listing your CPU's heatsink and the case is excessive. You think Open Office is going to be integral in running Skyrim or something? ;D

The only things that are truly important are your RAM, processor/CPU, and video card. We'd assume you have the hard drive space, and that you have everything else. Maybe the PSU is important too so we can know if it can handle heavy loads.

Anyway, you may have problems running Skryim. You only have 1GB of RAM, I'd recommend that you double or triple that amount with the exact same speed (1333). Also, that's a rather slow CPU but we'll have to see. You have a good video card though.

EDIT:

am i the only one who thinks that the PSU in that list is a tad small?!?!?

Yeah, I feel the same way. Who built your computer RitchieTheMerc? That power supply is super weak, 350W is pushing it, if it would work at all under load.

Edited by natelovesyou

Would appreciate it a lot if someone could give his/her opinion about my laptop running Skyrim (on near max setting?):

ASUS G73SW

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM

Intel® Core™ i5 2410M

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate

Genuine Windows® 7 Professional

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

This version contains all product updates (SP1)

Chipset

Intel® HM65 Express Chipset

Memory

DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM,4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 G SDRAM (Quad Core),2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 G SDRAM (Dual Core), *2

Display

17.3" 16:9 HD+ (1600x900)/Full HD (1920x1080)/Full HD 3D(1920x1080 120Hz) LED backlight

Graphic

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM

Storage

2.5" SATA

750GB 7200rpm

640GB 5400rpm

500GB 5400rpm/7200rpm

500GB 7200rpm SSH

Dual HDD Support*1

Thanks a lot in advance. I bought this laptop about 1,5month ago and played The Witcher 2 at max, and tbh can't believe if this laptop wouldn't run Skyrim nearly at max settings.

Uhh...haha. First off, which processor do you have? And which Operating System? Because it looks like you just copy+pasted a customization page on some laptop site. You're not going to have both processors in a laptop, no way. And certainly not FOUR hard drives. Could you cut out all the other stuff and tell us what you really have?

Regardless of what you have in there, based off your "options" your laptop is more than capable. Though I'm really curious how many arms and legs you had to give for such a pricey laptop...a GTX 460 1.5GB would be pretty expensive for a lappie.

'

Oh woow that's stupid, the copy I took was clearly incorrect. Sorry I did some research and these are the actual specs:

Asus G73SW

CPU: Intel Core i7-2630QM, 2.0GHz

Memory: 8GB

HDD: 750GB

Operating system: 64 bit

Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M, 1.5GB

I hope this is enough, im quite the noob when it comes to computer (speccs). I didn't know the video card is THAT impressive tbh, I payed 1150euros for this gaminglaptop so that's quite a bit of money.

Oh woow that's stupid, the copy I took was clearly incorrect. Sorry I did some research and these are the actual specs:

Asus G73SW

I hope this is enough, im quite the noob when it comes to computer (speccs). I didn't know the video card is THAT impressive tbh, I payed 1150euros for this gaminglaptop so that's quite a bit of money.

That's more then enough. :thumbsup:

Asus G73SW

Yeah you'll be fine! Not bad for a laptop either, little bugger packs a punch!

I have no idea if my computer can even run it

Operating System:

Windows 2.6.0.6002 (Service Pack 2)

CPU Type:

Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz

CPU Speed:

2.52 GHz

System Memory:

6 GB

Video Card Model:

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Video Card Memory: