The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

The super clocked one is better and cheaper as for video ram most games don't need over 1gb of VRAM unless you run muti-display

Now for shader and core. You won't find gfx with higher shaders then cores I wouldn't worry about it. But the most it's OCd from factory the better

Thanks Hector. If what you say is true, I'll go with the cheaper. Unless anyone else has something to say that differs?

Also, my friend may want to run multi-display...but I don't think for gaming, I think just for doing day-to-day Windows stuff. I don't even know if Skyrim has multi-display functionality. That would be sweet! So if he says he's tempted to play games with 2 displays, is the more expensive yet slower clocked/double vram Sparkle card a better bet?

All that quality merchandise and you go and put kingston in there? :facepalm:

kingston have been in the industry for quite some time, besides here in OZ we aren't exactly fat on choices,the only other choices I have are G.skill - which I don't like at all. I could go for Corsair - they do produce decent DDR3 ram with well designed cooling, which in case you haven't noticed is a rather important thing for me.

You don't like G.Skill at all? It's the most highly-rated brand of RAM on Newegg.com, I'd swear by the stuff. It's a fantastic brand, what went wrong that you don't like them? They have great heatsinks from what I've seen as well. In any case, Corsair is a better brand than Kingston in my opinion.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would appreciate it a lot if someone could give his/her opinion about my laptop running Skyrim (on near max setting?):

ASUS G73SW

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM

Intel® Core™ i5 2410M

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate

Genuine Windows® 7 Professional

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

This version contains all product updates (SP1)

Chipset

Intel® HM65 Express Chipset

Memory

DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM,4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 G SDRAM (Quad Core),2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 G SDRAM (Dual Core), *2

Display

17.3" 16:9 HD+ (1600x900)/Full HD (1920x1080)/Full HD 3D(1920x1080 120Hz) LED backlight

Graphic

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM

Storage

2.5" SATA

750GB 7200rpm

640GB 5400rpm

500GB 5400rpm/7200rpm

500GB 7200rpm SSH

Dual HDD Support*1

Thanks a lot in advance. I bought this laptop about 1,5month ago and played The Witcher 2 at max, and tbh can't believe if this laptop wouldn't run Skyrim nearly at max settings.

Uhh...haha. First off, which processor do you have? And which Operating System? Because it looks like you just copy+pasted a customization page on some laptop site. You're not going to have both processors in a laptop, no way. And certainly not FOUR hard drives. Could you cut out all the other stuff and tell us what you really have?

Regardless of what you have in there, based off your "options" your laptop is more than capable. Though I'm really curious how many arms and legs you had to give for such a pricey laptop...a GTX 460 1.5GB would be pretty expensive for a lappie.

I'll bite.

Window 7 ulti 64bit

i7 2630QM

GTX 570M, core @ 700mhz, shader @ 1400, memory @1800.

16gb of kingston 1866 ddr3

OCZ RevoDrive X2 for OS and a Agility 3 480gb SSD for storage (allot of media work). I also have a spare 750gb drive and some externals.

Oblivion is maxed with 8x AA @ 1920x1080 and stays around 100 fps. lowest was during some midas magic mayhem and that was 68fps, high is typically 130 or so.

I'll bite.

Window 7 ulti 64bit

i7 2630QM

GTX 570M, core @ 700mhz, shader @ 1400, memory @1800.

16gb of kingston 1866 ddr3

OCZ RevoDrive X2 for OS and a Agility 3 480gb SSD for storage (allot of media work). I also have a spare 750gb drive and some externals.

Oblivion is maxed with 8x AA @ 1920x1080 and stays around 100 fps. lowest was during some midas magic mayhem and that was 68fps, high is typically 130 or so.

low settings at best with 20fps

How would I go about grabbing the specs for my computer?

If it's a pre-built pc, just look for the model number that's on the case somewhere, maybe on the back of the tower or bottom of the laptop, then google that model number.

If it's custom, you could at least find out some of the info by right-clicking on Computer (i.e. via Start Menu or Windows Explorer) and it'll tell you some stuff.

You don't like G.Skill at all? It's the most highly-rated brand of RAM on Newegg.com, I'd swear by the stuff. It's a fantastic brand, what went wrong that you don't like them? They have great heatsinks from what I've seen as well. In any case, Corsair is a better brand than Kingston in my opinion.

I couldn't care less what Newegg.com says. From my experience G.skill ram seems to suffer from stability issues - especially when volt modding/overclocking is concerned, even with small pushes above their base values I have encountered problems. Even if that wasn't an issue I would prefer it if I can obtain ram modules that don't have overly large heatsinks - the corsair dominator series ram modules have a very well designed heatsinks, with thin fins that allow heat to radiate from them and decent fans designed to take heat away - the G.skill sniper and Ripjaws ram modules do not look very efficient to my eyes, the heatsink fins are too thick - which means smaller surface area and lower heat dissipation - simple physics. The heatsinks on the Kingston HyperX T1 modules work best with a fan blowing air down through them, rather than sucking air as what I have found to work best with corsair RAM modules. Over the years I have found that kingston modules tend to be better at handling higher voltages and clock speeds, Corsair do pretty darned well too.

Edited by shadow_scale9180

How would I go about grabbing the specs for my computer?

If it's a pre-built pc, just look for the model number that's on the case somewhere, maybe on the back of the tower or bottom of the laptop, then google that model number.

If it's custom, you could at least find out some of the info by right-clicking on Computer (i.e. via Start Menu or Windows Explorer) and it'll tell you some stuff.

Ah, okay, thanks. :)

Manufacturer: Dell

Model: N5010

Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU M 370 @

2.40GHz 2.39 GHz

System type: 64-bit Operating System

That's copied and pasted from my computer, sorry I couldn't really sort it out any better than that. I'm completely clueless when it comes to computers. <_<

Hi guys, do you think I can run Skyrim?

Specs -

Black ATX Gaming Tower Case

CPU Intel Pentium G850 (2 x 2.9 GHZ)

CPU Heatsink Intel Heatsink & Fan - Low Noise

Memory 1GB PC3-10666 1333MHz (1x1GB) DDR3

Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 - 1 GB - (EVGA) (PCI-E)

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 (Intel H67)

Sound Card Motherboard Integrated HD Sound

Networking Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)

Power Supply 350W PSU

Hard Drive #1 320 GB SATA-II 16MB (FREE UPGRADE TO 500GB BEFORE 11:59 PM ON 23-10-11)

Optical Drive #1 Samsung 24x DVD Re-Writer/Reader /- RW- Black - Lightscribe (SATA)

Card Reader Internal Card Reader 50-in-1 (Silver)

Office Software OpenOffice 3.2.1 (Unlimited PC License)

Security Software Microsoft Security Essentials (Basic Protection)

Backup Software Restore DVD & Original Operating System DVD

Keyboard Logitech Ultra Flat Keyboard (USB)

Mouse Logitech B110 Optical USB Mouse (USB)

Speakers Logitech S120 2.0 Multimedia Speakers - Black

Free Gift FREE - WebCam - Headphones & Microphone

Thanks.