The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

For the record I am a PC gamer. Not sure if that was clear up there. Was mostly trying to prove how lazy todays youth are.

I agree with that, most of the younger kids just want to play a game with a minimum of fuss involved, they are mostly all about instant gratification. But for me building a computer from carefully selected parts is just too much fun for me to pass up - and there there is the many hours spent tweaking, refining it's performance i'm a PC gamer for the long haul....and I love it!

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, sorry about my post before, that was from a build your own PC website, and I was wondering if that PC would run Skyrim.

Now, I've been working out what upgrades I'd like to make to my computer to allow it to run Skyrim.

Here's my current computer specs-

CPU - Pentium Dual Core CPU E5300 2.6GHz

Graphics card - ATI Radeon 5400 series (5450)

RAM - 1024MB (1GB)

Windows 7 64-bit

(Those are the specs that matter, anyway).

Now, here are the changes I would like to make to make my computer be able to run Skyrim at medium-highish settings-

Graphics card - 2GB nVIDIA GeForce GT 440 HDMI 1GB

CPU - Core i3 i3-540 3.06 GHz

Ram - 8GB of RAM

All together these changes add up to £200.

So, would this computer be able to run Skyrim?

Thanks for your input guys.

Also, please say I'd need to change anything, coz I'm not so good when it comes to things like hardware.

Thanks.

Ram - 8GB of RAM

no current theory that Skyrim will use more than 4gb of ram

in fact there's a current theory that Skyrim will actually be a 32bit application

meaning it will only use a max of around 3gb

people are hoping that aftermarket applications will open this up

so getting more ram is NOT expected to increase performance yet

and in any case

never increases FPS

BTW current theory is that Bethesda ports don't contemplate multi-cores either --- meaning if you are lucky it'll use 2 cores, but 4-8 cores is delusional (at best)

this implies getting a higher clock speed on a smaller number of cores is the better idea

Edited by Fonger

Ram - 8GB of RAM

no current theory that Skyrim will use more than 4gb of ram

in fact there's a current theory that Skyrim will actually be a 32bit application

meaning it will only use a max of around 3gb

people are hoping that aftermarket applications will open this up

so getting more ram is NOT expected to increase performance yet

All you need to do is flag the app as large address aware using something like CFF Explorer. I do it for pretty much every new game I buy these days. As to whether this will actually increase performance in an un-modded game, that's another matter.

Either way, I have 8 gigs of RAM on my current system, and, to put it lightly, it's not too shabby.

Edited by xaliqen

My computer is a 64 bit quad core with 6 gb RAM. But I have a Geforce 210 -.- I can "run" the witcher 2 (I forced it to play with atleast a moderate resolution but no fancy s*** and it still laggs.)

Does anyone who is experienced with graphics cards think my shitty card will be able to run skyrim with a decent framerate at the lowest settings? I'll be getting a better card eventually, but maybe not before Skyrim.

I know this is speculation, but some sort of comforting would be nice :P

Hey guys, sorry about my post before, that was from a build your own PC website, and I was wondering if that PC would run Skyrim.

Now, I've been working out what upgrades I'd like to make to my computer to allow it to run Skyrim.

Here's my current computer specs-

CPU - Pentium Dual Core CPU E5300 2.6GHz

Graphics card - ATI Radeon 5400 series (5450)

RAM - 1024MB (1GB)

Windows 7 64-bit

(Those are the specs that matter, anyway).

Now, here are the changes I would like to make to make my computer be able to run Skyrim at medium-highish settings-

Graphics card - 2GB nVIDIA GeForce GT 440 HDMI 1GB

CPU - Core i3 i3-540 3.06 GHz

Ram - 8GB of RAM

All together these changes add up to £200.

So, would this computer be able to run Skyrim?

Thanks for your input guys.

Also, please say I'd need to change anything, coz I'm not so good when it comes to things like hardware.

Thanks.

Not going to work. Your current Processor fits in a socket 775 motherboard. The i3 you wanted to get needs a socket 1156 motherboard. You need a new motherboard, which probably means a whole new system.

My computer is a 64 bit quad core with 6 gb RAM. But I have a Geforce 210 -.- I can "run" the witcher 2 (I forced it to play with atleast a moderate resolution but no fancy s*** and it still laggs.)

Does anyone who is experienced with graphics cards think my shitty card will be able to run skyrim with a decent framerate at the lowest settings? I'll be getting a better card eventually, but maybe not before Skyrim.

The Witcher 2 is a more demanding game than Skyrim is anticipated to be, however a Geforce 210 is worse than bad when it comes to gaming. You could put a $50 video card in there and double if not quadruple your gaming performance. ;)

The Witcher 2 is a more demanding game than Skyrim is anticipated to be, however a Geforce 210 is worse than bad when it comes to gaming. You could put a $50 video card in there and double if not quadruple your gaming performance. ;)

Sigh, I know... I know... :P

This is the card I'm planning on getting: http://www.dustin.se/asus-geforce-gtx-570-directcu-ii-1280mb-pci-e-dvi-hdmi-batman-game/product/5010550662

You could read the specifications but it's in swedish.

This is the card I'm planning on getting: http://www.dustin.se/asus-geforce-gtx-570-directcu-ii-1280mb-pci-e-dvi-hdmi-batman-game/product/5010550662

You could read the specifications but it's in swedish.

I don't need to read Swedish to see it's an Asus GTX 570. :)

As you know, you should be able to run Skyrim with maxed settings using a card like that.

Edited by xaliqen

Hey guys,

Will I be able to run Skyrim on medium settings? My laptop was able to run Dragon Age Origins on high settings and FNV smoothly.

Laptop:

CPU: Intel ® Core2 Duo CPU P7550 @ 2.26GHz ~2.3GHz

RAM: 4GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M

Display: 1366 x 768

(GPU is built in the motherboard which I suppose it cannot be replaced...)

Desktop:

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4200

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840T Processor 2.9GHz

RAM: 6GB

Edited by iceurface18