The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

sounds like everybody is expecting a console port to actually use more than 4gb of memory

but this would be an easy upgrade after the game comes out and people with extra memory can test to see if it does anything other than look at it sideways

so save your money until after release

when an informed decision can be made

of course if you are trying to future proof your computer

get 16mb instead of the 12

sounds like somebody is a little misinformed

it dosen't matter if it was built for pc's or ported from consoles, it's a 32bit application and can't use more than 4GB of memory regardless of what the system os can access

if you have a 64bit OS and want enough ram to run Skyrim smoothly then go with the 8GB stick because the OS will already be eating up its fair share of memory

12GB is likely more than you'll ever need, but if money is irrelevant go for it

typing like this is annoying

space

space

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Skyrim lovers,

Can my comp run Skyrim?

i5 750 @ 2.7GHz (quad)

GTX 560 Ti

8GB RAM

I can play BF3 on medium @ 1920x1080 without problems.

Also I did the 'can you run it' thing and it said that my computer passes, it even has the recommended results.

But still -> just verifying :)

Edited by Tigertastic

Hey Skyrim lovers,

Can my comp run Skyrim?

i5 750 @ 2.7GHz (quad)

GTX 560 Ti

8GB RAM

I can play BF3 on medium @ 1920x1080 without problems.

Also I did the 'can you run it' thing and it said that my computer passes, it even has the recommended results.

But still -> just verifying :)

Anyone?

My graphics card has Pixel Shader 4.1, and Vertex Shader 4.1... It says that it's best to have 5.0 for both of those to run BF3 at recommended... Do the newest versions really make that much of a difference, because my VRAM exceeds fairly enough, and I have decent clock speeds...

Yeah I'm kind of wondering if any computer experts can help me out. I made a post like three pages ago listing my specs and then after I got a response, I asked another question and nobody responded.

Basically what I'm wondering is just exactly how important is the graphics card's manufacturer and model in determining whether or not I can run games? I mean my graphics card has double the required VRAM and has better vertex and pixel shader versions than required to run Skyrim...but it is an Intel chip. Does that mean that just because my card is made by a specific company it's NOT going to be playable?

I also have a different computer with an Nvidea Geforce 320M (I believe it is 512MB VRAM but I could be wrong). I noticed in the unofficial list of supported graphics cards, neither of my computers' chipsets were listed. Does this mean that they are both so bad that it wasn't worth the OP's time to bother including them in the list? Or does this mean that nobody is really sure? As I said before, at least one of my graphics card beats the game's minimum requirements by quite a bit, but I was still told that because my card is made by Intel I won't be able to play Skyrim.

Is there anyone who can clarify this for me? Thanks!

Can someone tell me if the following computer will be able to run Skyrim on max/ultra settings?

-Intel Core2 processor Q9650 3.0 GHZ w/ Quad Core with 12MB Cache

-Dual 1024 MB ATI Radeon 4870 with Crossfire configuration

-8GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHZ

-Windows 64 bits

-Screen Resolution 1920X1200

My concern is the dual (two cards) 1GB ATI Radeon 4870 with Crossfire configuration will not be up to the task. I know a single 4870 would not be up to the task, but am not sure with dual cards crossfired if I would be okay at max settings.

If not, any suggestions on what graphic card would be best to upgrade to that does not break the bank with a 6970 card ($500 plus).

Thanks