OMODS as ZIPS

BlueGunk

Hi

Hope I'm not covering known ground. Recently my IE9 (Win 7) has started downloaded modders' OMOD files as ZIPS, rendering them useless. In the past I have had no problems downloading preprepared OMOD files. Other archive files come down with no problems. I tried Firefox and this showed the same problem. The 'corrupted' files are unusable.

A quick look on the Internet shows this has been an issue on and off for some years and that (from what I could understand from the tecchie-talk) was often something to do with servers, MIME and starting descriptions of files on servers (I know I know - I'm all gobbledegook!!). I tried simply changed the ZIP extension to OMOD on disk, but the file is still unworkable.

I am well aware it might be something that has changed on my PC - maybe a WIndows update has caused a problem. But I'm not quite savvy enough to work out where to look, though I am pretty good with Windows.

Please, might you be able to check there is not a server issue, and if anyone has any ideas what I could check on my PC, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks, Clive.

One thing to check - find an omod file on your PC and check that it has not become associated with Winzip or another archiver. This can cause downloading problems. You can generally tell instantly by the icon being used.

Another thing to try is to download an omod from somewhere not using a server script, just a link. Right-click the link, use the save link as option, and tick a box if visible to "always do this with this type of file"

You don't have to find an omod, simply take an existing one and upload it to MediaFire.com...then download it to do what MarkInMKUK is talking about.

One thing to check - find an omod file on your PC and check that it has not become associated with Winzip or another archiver. This can cause downloading problems. You can generally tell instantly by the icon being used.

Another thing to try is to download an omod from somewhere not using a server script, just a link. Right-click the link, use the save link as option, and tick a box if visible to "always do this with this type of file"

Thanks for your quick reply. I double-checked my file association they way you mentioned - definitely tied to Timeslip OMOD complete with OMOD icon. Also tried downloading an OMOD from this site:

http://www.fileplanet.com/193568/190000/fileinfo/Oblivion---QTP3R-OMOD-1.1.omod

and it was happy to download as an OMOD. But on the TESNEXUS site am I getting the alteration to ZIP, and no way of altering it. I'd blame IE9 were it not for the fact Firefox does exactly the same! This only started about 10 days ago.

Hmm. Any further ideas please?

Thank you! Clive

Hi

Drake the Dragon & LHammonds, thank you!. I placed a link to the non-Tesnexus file I tried downloading in my earlier reply - which showed no problems.

Here's what's happening at Tesnexus. Say I go to http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=18497 and I choose to download the OMOD version of the mod. After choosing my local premium server (Kent UK) My pop-up box ready for download comes up with the following URL:

http://files.tesnexus.com/premium.php?file=LOD%20Replacement%20OMOD-18497.zip&domain=tesnexus.com

So any download automatically becomes a zip.

Here's a conversation I found on the web about MIME:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3521

And this made me wonder if there is something happening with the TesNexus server end.

This has been happening for the last 10 days or so.

I have also see this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/ie9-what-do-you-want-to-do-with-prompt-then/54b9bccd-7265-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5 about mime and registry but I could not trace the entry in my registry that is referred to. I also don't want to be fiddlilng with the registry.

So is there a recent change on the Tesnexus servers? Or has Bill Gates duffed up my "internet experience" as he likes to call it?!!

Thanks for your assistance! Clive

I gave up trying to use the UK server ages back for various reasons, including corrupted downloads and "won't start" downloads. Have you tried the US mirrors just in case?

I gave up trying to use the UK server ages back for various reasons, including corrupted downloads and "won't start" downloads. Have you tried the US mirrors just in case?

Yep - tried those with the same result. I usually get a pretty swift service from the Kent server and not had any problems with it.

Am all but levering the case off my laptop trying to see if there is something my end doing something weird!

Clive

You could try rolling back any updates using system restore - but that's a "me grasping at straws" suggestion.

... you haven't got a download manager running have you? They sometimes do odd things after an update.