OMODS as ZIPS

BlueGunk

Hi All

Glad to hear it is not new. I've just about dismantled Win 7, IE9, Chrome and Firefox to see what is happening but all my browsers behave the same, and only on the Tesnexus downloads! I don't think it is a Windows update mashup - seems more to be a host issue?

So, I think the issue has to lie at the Tesnexus end. Perhaps someone there can be asked to check into it?

All I have found is it is something to do with MIME handling. I gather IE9 - and presumably other browsers - will check the on-board registry first to check the file type and extension from the registry database. If it is not found there, the server will be queried and the file type assimilated from information provided there. This is done via some kind of MIME service, I believe. (Thus expires all my knowledge of this!!)

I've checked my registry and OMOD files are happily registered with OMOD / OBMM etc. so I can't see a fault here (given I'm not a software engineer.)

Unless anyone else has any ideas where to check, does anyone know who to ask at Tesnexus? I did send a note to them on the general "Contact" message service but didn't get a reply.

Meanwhile, thank you all very much for your swift help and assistance!

Clive

Oops Fore, I see you gave me a link to the thread to try. I'll go on and post there. BTW - all of my browsers have this problem! I use IE9 because I am lazy and Firefox kept melting down my bookmarks...!

Clive

I just downloaded the "LOD_Replacement_OMOD-18497.zip" file using Firefox 4.0.1 on Windows 7 64-bit (all current hotfixes). I opened it up with 7-Zip 9.20 since it had the "zip" file extension and it opened like a normal archive.

At the root level, I saw only one folder:

Full_Landscape_LOD_Textures_Replacement_v1\

Inside of that folder, I see another lone folder:

Full_Landscape_LOD_Textures_Replacement_v1.0_OMOD\

Inside that folder, I finally see the actual OMOD and a text file as follows:

Full_Landscape_LOD_Textures_Replacement_v1.0_OMOD.omod

Readme.txt

So it seems the author zipped up the omod and readme file into a couple of different sub-folders.

LHammonds

Hi

Argh! I should have gone further and continued my download and observed this for myself (cringing shame.... :facepalm: )

However, what brought this on is a couple of days ago I did genuinely have the problem with another OMOD download that did turn itself into a ZIP. Even when I tried replacing the file extension the contents were unworkable. I could not get the OMOD. So when I saw this one, I thought I faced the same issue. I did try all my browsers with the same result.

The mod is at:

Location: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38674

And the author tested it, but was able to download it without this problem.

Now I've just gone back to try that file again and it now works fine.

Well, I'll take away one lesson for myself from this - I shall shut up and play Oblivion and leave everyone alone for a few months. Do let me know when my shame has worn off and the community will once again welcome me.... :sad:

Meanwhile, thanks everyone for your help. You can at least feel smug knowing I spent a few hours learning all about MIME and registry, and searching how to fix a problem that actually didn't exist. The pint of Carlsberg I've just consumed at least numbs some of the pain...

Grooaaaaannnnnn!

All the best, folks, Clive

It could have been worse - you might not have had the Carlsberg to hand :)

Hah! True. Maybe I'd better go down the pub....