Own Magic Effect

Fresh464

Hi, I just wanted to ask if you are able to create your own magic effect. I'm not talking about own spells, but whole a new category of magic, so does not depend on the other effects such as fire damage for example.

It should be an own category you can define and choose in the CS.

Hope you got what I wanted to say.

You can create script effects with custom (even scripted) results, but as far as I know that's about it. You can assign it some new custom graphics if you want using a little ingenuity, but it may lag a bit if you're running a script-heavy game.

My experience with it (kinda boring lol, but it can give you an idea of what I went through to learn about it):

My experience with it was I tried to change how magic worked in the game overall, where it's always fast and somewhat random both in damage and effect rather than something you can actually control at the touch of a button. I was trying to make it be more dangerous and something you don't just throw around carelessly (because your lightning could arc and hit all living things, friendly or not, between you and your target point, for example).

It required a lot of scripting, and probably because of my mediocre scripting skills, it lagged a little bit (after the script effect started, it would be a few frames before anything actually happened).

Of course I saw some of the other magic overhauls mods and lost interest in my own project. D:

Hm, my goal is to create a weapon which is entchanted with frost dmg and a disease that you get more frost damage, but I don't want that ugly frost-entchanted animation on that weap, and after I asked for that I was said to look for creating own magic effects.

Well you have two options really. Change the way enchanted weapon animation looks (there's a few mods for this), or attach a script to the weapon that damages them more based on a factor you name (for example, the more times the enemy gets hit by it, the more damage he takes). To make it fake frost damage, apply frost resistance to preventing the damage (meaning 100 frost resist should cause no extra damage).

I haven't touched the scripting language in a while though so I can't tell you off the top of my head how to start it, but that's the kind of mental flowchart I have going for it.

Hi, I just wanted to ask if you are able to create your own magic effect. I'm not talking about own spells, but whole a new category of magic, so does not depend on the other effects such as fire damage for example.

It should be an own category you can define and choose in the CS.

Hope you got what I wanted to say.

You can actually create new magic effects with the Oblivion Magic Extender. It requires OBSE in order to work, though.