Theory: Saving Danse AND Remaining With The Brotherhood? (SPOILERS)

Calzien

1 hour ago, xsixkillerx said:

Like a way to convince Maxon that Danse is not a synth? Institute is known for lying so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Also I'm not sure why Danse staying in the Brotherhood....

This isn't a direct answer to your question as I don't know (I always find it incredibly hard not to kill the BoS each playthrough, though I did take the Danse story to the end once or twice many years ago). But the Nuka Ride mod touches on that concept in one of its story lines. I'm going to put the following in spoiler tags as it has major Nuka Ride spoilers.  Don't read it if you plan to play it ever.

One of the characters you meet and who can join you in Nuka Ride is a synth who is a direct copy of you. If you team up with her, treating her like your sister, she eventually ends up making commercials with you advertising the Brotherhood of Steel and their anti-synth zeal. So your synth sister makes commercials against herself without anyone but you knowing she's a synth. It torments her emotionally, and conversations you have with your sister are both nuanced and emotionally engaging.

I mention this because if Danse were to stay with the Brotherhood of Steel, knowing he's a synth, it would by necessity be the same kind of emotional torment.

At the same time, it's a very human behavior. Humans stay with clans and societies who hate them, even worse, humans hide their true selves knowing they would be hated if people know their secrets.

It's both good writing, both in Fallout 4 and in Nuka Ride, and it's painful storytelling.

• Like 1