some mods just aren't worth it

I would appreciate it if anyone or everyone posted all of the mods that literaly don't work because what I'm trying to do here is state that if you don't know if they work or not why are they still on the tesnexus instead of being fixed or at least listed. I apologize if a topic like this has already come up but if it hasn't its about time it did.

We have over 20,000 mods for Oblivion alone. Most actually do work, but many will not work with certain other mods. You are going to have to read the documentation for each one you are considering, and then take your chances that it might not work with some other mod you already have.

To do what you are asking you will have to test every one of the 22,951 Oblivion mods with every possible combination of the other mods, And a dozen new mods that are added every day.

What I would recommend is that you download BOSS. BOSS will help you with your load order and will also alert you if a mod you have installed has serious bugs or conflicts. I could name a few mods I personally think "do not work" and are dangerous all by themselves, but that is against the spirit of this site. This site discourages members from being overly critical. The mods I would name are mods that BOSS will warn you about if you happen to download them. BOSS currently knows about over 11,000 mods. Chances are most of your mods it knows about. If you download a mod it doesn't know about, there is a way to ask that the mod be included in BOSS.

Think of the Nexus as a huge library. Many modders donate their mods to this library. Most mods will be average, some will become classics, and some...well...were a good first try. Reading the comments on the mods is a good idea. Nexus has no control over whether modders fix bugs in their mods, and since this is a free site, they can't possibly bug test every one of those thousands of mods. They do remove mods that are illegal or rips.

TESIV:Positive has a list of popular outdated mods and recommended substitutes.

Also, something I like about TESNexus is that everybody can upload anything (as long as it's not illegal or requested-to-be-removed content). You'll see a lot of ridiculous cheat mods, mods that edit some basic stuff that's already been done before, buggy mods, messed up mods, joke mods, etc. You name it.

Why is that a good thing? Well it allows people an experience of being a modder, even if it's a mediocre modder at first. Some people who upload "my first house mod" or "some gameplay tweaks" or something like that end up becoming better modders sometimes, and they end up releasing some really cool stuff, or they have an idea and collaborate with others or ask for advice, and the entire community benefits from it. I'm pretty sure that the unofficial patches only started by some guys who saw a typo or some other bug somewhere, and decided to try to fix it in the CS.

Anyway, it's not dangerous as long as you read the readmes, any other attached instructions or information, and the comments and endorsement threads for details. A lot of buggy mods are immediately visible when people keep complaining about certain features not working.

Well, I don't know about you others, but I think it's pretty rude to treat mods shared with the community for no gain in such a discouraging way, publically proclaiming them to be broken in a huge list.

It will only take 1 single user getting it to work to prove you wrong and ridicule the list, and it will be my pleasure to do so for every single mod you list, should you really pull this off. ...just telling... :dry:

Yeah, it's just not a nice thing to do. No matter what the mod is, someone went to some trouble and spent some time making it and sharing it. That is kind of them. What works for one person may not work at all for another. Some of the most famous classic mods have multiple thumbs down because some downloaders just didn't read the instructions or the mod conflicted with some other mod which was also a good mod. Some people gave thumbs down because the mod didn't suit their personal beliefs or taste, which was one of the "why" choices. That's why thumbs down is being removed. It was discouraging modders. Some people quit modding because of the thumbs downs. That's a shame.

Learning to mod is not easy. What I called "average" means the mod does what it says it does. Maybe it's not perfect, and maybe it doesn't have that special whatever it is that makes a mod famous, but it does something someone out there somewhere might want in their game. If you look at the version histories of mods that are listed on the top 100 lists, you will see lots of bugs corrected. Even if a mod has a really rocky start, that's pretty normal. If the modder isn't hassled too much and has time to correct bugs, it might become your favorite mod someday, or maybe the next mod that person makes will be.

When you find a bad mod (a buggy mod that does not work like it says it will under normal operating conditions) it is a great service to the community to leave a comment explaining what is wrong at the download point of that mod. That way innocent gamers can see the warning and avoid downloading the bad mod. Alternately, the author can read the comment and go fix the mod so that it won't be a bad mod anymore. Either way, providing feedback and leaving comments on mods is a great service to the community.

truth be told every mod is AWESOME I just thought it would be if not a lot just a little bit helpful to post some mods, and not every single mod in the whole TESNEXUS so stop crowding my topic with rude comments if you don't like what it says PLEASE MOVE ALONG also I take back what I said all mods are worth it, that's why games like these are so addictive. :biggrin:

but the reason for this whole thing was so if you had a mod and it really was EPICLY BROKEN and whoever made the mod was currently busy or something, you could post it here and if someone could instantly fix it that would work itself out.

look I'm not trying to attack any modders I'm just saying that it would be nice if someone said something about them which I'm sure a lot of modders have.

Edited by TOkoolforskool

but if this topic is really not helping anyone and is doing more bad then it is good I'll take it down, besides truth be told it's isn't as big of a deal as I thought it was and obviously if everyone looked at the read me for the mod some eye strain may be prevented. I just got tired of people like me doing everything by the letter and still coming up with zilch Edited by TOkoolforskool