Soul Gems

StanIsTheLaw

I have read up, or tried to on soul gems but am still a little confused.

1) What is the purpose/advantage of a soul gem? If you capture a soul, what is the benefit (apart from having done it)? Can't find that anywhere.

2) Soul gems that you find/by/pickup. Are they "empty"? The reason why I ask is that last time I did not try to capture soul gems until much later when I was doing Kavatch rebuilt and even though I was carrying a soul gem of every size except black, even when I killed a rat after the spell, I got the message I had no soul gem large enough.

3) If you do capture a soul in a gem, how do you know in your inventory, is it denoted differently?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1) Soul gems are capable of one of two things: a) enchanting a previously unenchanted item and b) recharging any enchanted weapon.

2) The actual name of said gem does not change. However you can tell if the gem is filled and the "amount" of power in the gem by placing your cursor over the gem in question and reading the small slide out info next to it. That small area will let you know to what level the gem is filled. The most likely explanation to your rat not being able to fill a soul gem was that you no longer had empty ones left of any kind in your inventory.

3) I think number two answers this one as well. Just put your cursor over it and the game will tell you the rest.

If thats not enough read the section here.

Standard gems aren't soul gems. If you see an emerald, that's just an emerald. Some mods let you use the powder for some things, but otherwise, just sell it, or use it for show in your house.

Soul gems are either filled, or empty. You'll find both flavors for sale. If a soul gem is filled, you'll see that when you mouse over it, with the name of the creature whose soul is captured inside.

Note that filled soul gems cost a lot more than empty ones. Similarly, you can sell them for a lot more. I don't do this, as it's very easy to fall into a pattern of abuse: buy cheap soul gem, conjure creature, kill creature with weapon you've enchanted to cast for capturing souls, sell gem, etc. But it's a handy way of gaining some coins early in the game, if you need them.

• 4 months later...

I have a similar problem I don't understand. I have the 5 types of soul gems from grand to petty each marked as "NONE". Using "Umbra" ( The soul trap sword ) I killed a troll and filled the lesser soul gem. I then killed a bandit and got the same message you got " There is no soul gem large enough to hold the soul" So why doesn't the common, greater, or grand work?

I'll be watching this trend.