Can't enter certain cells

I have been playing my current game for a month. I have travel every port and crossed the land. Yet, today my game freezes in the Zebabi cell and Sadrith Mora boat launch cell. I did not add or modify my mods since I started this game and the only common mod that covers this area is Better looking Morrowind. Nothing has changed since the start of the game. I have traveled these routes before and now these cells suddenly they are inaccessible. Does Morowind 'deteriorate' over time?

As to your comment

Does Morowind 'deteriorate' over time?
I would say no it doesn't.

A probable cause is either

1. Incompatibility between the two mods you mentioned though from what you say things have worked OK in the past.
  2. Try defragging the machine, it sometimes happens that files can get broken up across the disk and Morrowind is having trouble finding the fragments.
  3. if neither of the above work start Morrowind as normal but turn off (i.e. uncheck all your mods)and check each one and see if you get to a similar point again, if you do, that last mod you checked is the problem.

Of course, to do this properly you will have to unchek ALL your mods taking the ghame right back to Vanilla Oblivion, you don't want any of the official plugins eitherbecause it may well be one of those.. Before you start this though, travel to Seyda Neen or Balmora.

As to your comment

I would say no it doesn't.

A probable cause is either

1. Incompatibility between the two mods you mentioned though from what you say things have worked OK in the past.
  2. Try defragging the machine, it sometimes happens that files can get broken up across the disk and Morrowind is having trouble finding the fragments.
  3. if neither of the above work start Morrowind as normal but turn off (i.e. uncheck all your mods)and check each one and see if you get to a similar point again, if you do, that last mod you checked is the problem.

Of course, to do this properly you will have to unchek ALL your mods taking the ghame right back to Vanilla Oblivion, you don't want any of the official plugins eitherbecause it may well be one of those.. Before you start this though, travel to Seyda Neen or Balmora.

Before your recommendation, I had started a new temp game and traveled to these cells and they were accessible again. I will defrag more often. i will start a new game to see if it happens again.

No, but game corruption can increase. As you didn't post a mod list, I'm assuming you already have Wrye Mash. Did you try highlighting your saved game inside it, then right-clicking, and choosing Repair All?

You're not using autosave or quicksave? Both those contribute to game corruption.

Also, are you running the Morrowind Code Patch? It deals with a lot of issues, including some that involve game corruption.

Edited by Balakirev