Making Modified Helm

Yes I can see the name MYSONJA but not the armour in the render window both the mao and msh are named SNJA1 do i need to rename them? I created this for human female but I tried changing the race and gender box but nothing changed??

No, that they are named the same should be okay, that's what I usually do....

You sure that you didn't zoom in too much? The controls on the toolset can be a bit clunky, and if you tried to zoom even just a little when you first didn't see anything, and only then changed to female...

Just making sure, the name of the msh, mao (and so on) files are named "hf_hlh_snja1a_0"?

yea all the files are the same name i didnt touch the render window so i couldnt have zoomed out anyway ive checked three times now and nothing is it a problem with mesh?

Assuming that they really are named "hf_hlh_snja1a_0", then yes, that seems to be it. It almost sounds like noth ing was exported, but then the esxporter usually gives a warning about that before doing it's work. Try to go back to 3ds max and move the skeleton itself. Select a part of the neck in the skeleton and try to turn it around. If the helmet doesn't follow something must be wrong.

Another test you can do is import the original mesh again, and then immediately export it again, this time only changing the name to the one you used above. If you still see nothing in the toolset then it must be something else but the mesh itself that is wrong.

I really need to go to bed now, but I will take another look on this thread the first thing in the morning

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I can see the name MYSONJA but not the armour in the render window both the mao and msh are named SNJA1 do i need to rename them? I created this for human female but I tried changing the race and gender box but nothing changed??

No, that they are named the same should be okay, that's what I usually do....

You sure that you didn't zoom in too much? The controls on the toolset can be a bit clunky, and if you tried to zoom even just a little when you first didn't see anything, and only then changed to female...

Just making sure, the name of the msh, mao (and so on) files are named "hf_hlh_snja1a_0"?

yea all the files are the same name i didnt touch the render window so i couldnt have zoomed out anyway ive checked three times now and nothing is it a problem with mesh?

Assuming that they really are named "hf_hlh_snja1a_0", then yes, that seems to be it. It almost sounds like noth ing was exported, but then the esxporter usually gives a warning about that before doing it's work. Try to go back to 3ds max and move the skeleton itself. Select a part of the neck in the skeleton and try to turn it around. If the helmet doesn't follow something must be wrong.

Another test you can do is import the original mesh again, and then immediately export it again, this time only changing the name to the one you used above. If you still see nothing in the toolset then it must be something else but the mesh itself that is wrong.

I really need to go to bed now, but I will take another look on this thread the first thing in the morning

Hahah Im not too far behind you thanks for your patience many would have told me where to go long before now!

The skeleton moves so it must ve something else but that somethign can be found in the morning a good nights sleep and I might know where im going wrong

Edited by DarthDudo

Still can't come up with anythinh specific that I think could be a problem. One simple test you can do though is import the same mesh file you exported earlier, and see if it looks the same as before it was exported. Also, make sure that you have put the dds files together with the others.

If that still doesn't give you any clues, can you send me the files so I can have a look at them? (when you need to upload more than one file at the time to mediafire, select all the files and right-click to select --> add "xxxxx.rar" <--- . Then upload the .rar file you get)

Still can't come up with anythinh specific that I think could be a problem. One simple test you can do though is import the same mesh file you exported earlier, and see if it looks the same as before it was exported. Also, make sure that you have put the dds files together with the others.

If that still doesn't give you any clues, can you send me the files so I can have a look at them? (when you need to upload more than one file at the time to mediafire, select all the files and right-click to select --> add "xxxxx.rar" <--- . Then upload the .rar file you get)

Good morning your at work early I see :thumbsup:

Ok I opened the original mesh in 3ds exported it straight away and it appeared in the toolset so no problems there I also uploaded that rar heres the link

http://www.mediafire.com/?6bgp62gtmvc0g8t

I included the 3ds Phys file with it didnt know if these are a necessity but they certainly couldnt hurt

Im going to go import my mesh and see if it looks any different then when I exported it

EDIT: I have my mesh opened up im 3DS but I noticed it requested a Phy file that I dont have this be the problem?Other than that it looks identical to when I exported except it isnt "washed out" from adding the textures

Edited by DarthDudo

I currently got to go an errand, but I will be back in a few hours and will take a closer look on the files. I will just take this moment to quickly make usre on some things:

1) when you imported the original mesh you worked from and then immediately exported it again but with your new name (hf_hlh_snja1a_0 or whatever it was) it showed up in the toolset? If yes than it really must be something wrong in the process relating to 3ds max.

2) I don't have the meaning of all the file ending in my head right now, will look it up later. It does however sound quite supicious right now. EDIT: Whatever it does, it is one of the files that is supposed to have been exported. Take a look at your folder again where you put all your exported files and compare it to the folder shown in the beginning of the first video I showed you

(the only complaints I have ever gotten when importing is that it asks me to locate the dds files which I usually ignore.

2nd EDIT: Just looked quickly on the files you uploaded. You do indeed not have a .phy file, and while I don't remember the exact purpose, it is the only file that by deafult have the 3ds max icon on it. So I would be surprised if it DID work when not having it.

If I remember correctly the .phy is shortly mentioned in the export window, in case you want to chanage the name. Try and take a look at it, otherwise I will later try to explain the export process more throughfully in case you just missed something in the vid.

Im going to edit the original mesh again recreate all the steps again see If i missed anything and rename the phy file that 3ds export see if that changes anything

I wasn't sure if it was just my memory playing tricks on me, but I did have a slight memory that the export window from eshme's tools had a gray area, which became editable if you checked a box to change the name of a certain file. Was that the .phy? Because I usually always tick that box, even though I don't change the name. You can try if that works for you.

Now I really need to get going though. See you in 3-5 hours.

Been at this for hours i've remade my mesh 4 times as Human Male, Human Female,Elf Male and Elf Female named them the same as before but no matter what I do It just wont appear, as for the grey box I cant see anything that you described Ive clicked all over and nothing new to edit there?

Also been looking through so many tutorialsbut I just cant find where Im going wrong

Edited by DarthDudo

Been at this for hours i've remade my mesh 4 times as Human Male, Human Female,Elf Male and Elf Female named them the same as before but no matter what I do It just wont appear, as for the grey box I cant see anything that you described Ive clicked all over and nothing new to edit there?

Also been looking through so many tutorialsbut I just cant find where Im going wrong

If you send me the max file I will see what I can do with it. I've finally gotten most of my things setup, and will see if I can install max on this computer. It's an old one though, so no promices (it definetely won't be able to run DA:O at least)...

It might also be an idea to send it as a message to me in my mailbox, just so that you don't get accussed of spreading the original modders work without permission.