Skyrim is a port for PC

Thelionheart

Gawd, how the hell can a UI be consolized? Because it's big? That certainly makes a lot of sense.

"Hey guys, that games gonna suck because the UI is big."

The game so far looks like everything Oblivion was supposed to be and more.

Here's a pretty good example.

Took WAY to long just to quit the game. Also, to answer your question better a "consolised" UI would be one that has overly large text, only fits about 5 items on a screen, multiple categories that could be condensed into fewer categories, and generally uses a "list" instead of a grid.

For Bethesdas games open the console and type qqq and hit enter, it will shut down instantly.

I was using that video as an example of a "consolised" UI, I was not in anyway stating that Skyrim would take that long to exit.

And even though the combat might be excellent, there may be decent content etc, the UI is still going to ruin your enjoyment because you can't exit faster and need to scroll a little bit to see all the equipment? You would think for any rational person that wouldn't even be factored in his/her enjoyment of the game.

"Oi, Frank, have you seen how good the combat in game X is?"

*Frank comes over to watch*

"Yes, it looks pretty coo- what?! You have to scroll through the equipment screen?! Blam this piece of crap!"

I never did state that a terrible UI was the end all be all of a console port. I believe that all of those things such as fumbling with menu's and bugs etc etc just bog down the experience, they sort of make it less than it could have been. They sour the mood, the feeling of what we (or I if you prefer) want out of a game.

Edited by Thelionheart

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never did state that a terrible UI was the end all be all of a console port. I believe that all of those things such as fumbling with menu's and bugs etc etc just bog down the experience, they sort of make it less than it could have been. They sour the mood, the feeling of what we (or I if you prefer) want out of a game.

I can understand that, but it's not really a reason to get angry about consolization or anything. It's nothing game-breaking. At most, you'd have to wait about two weeks for the inevitable UI mods to come out, which will fix it for you.

I can understand that, but it's not really a reason to get angry about consolization or anything. It's nothing game-breaking. At most, you'd have to wait about two weeks for the inevitable UI mods to come out, which will fix it for you.

I'm not angry about a "consolised" UI, I am just somewhat disappointed that PC UIs are something that we have to ask and beg for in order for it to be done. The last console game/port I am aware of that had a PC UI was BF:BC2, granted that was a pretty good port, partly because of the PC UI.

Gawd, how the hell can a UI be consolized? Because it's big? That certainly makes a lot of sense.

"Hey guys, that games gonna suck because the UI is big."

The game so far looks like everything Oblivion was supposed to be and more.

Here's a pretty good example.

Took WAY to long just to quit the game. Also, to answer your question better a "consolised" UI would be one that has overly large text, only fits about 5 items on a screen, multiple categories that could be condensed into fewer categories, and generally uses a "list" instead of a grid.

The 'can't quit you' thing has nothing to do with the consoles, that was just really really stupid design from the devs.

yep so true, assassin's creed sucked on consoles and PC! well it wasnt bad but it wasnt good. AC2 was great. that UI was just bad not a consolised UI just an awful UI. also i dont find the huge item boxes of old RPGs to be that great either but thats what everyone wants right if you dont get the huge item box that covers the screen its a console UI right?

I don't know if anyone noticed the HUD in the recent trailers or lack-thereof. They're going for a minimalist view as far as that goes now.

Yes, it sucks that we might have to do work to get the "feel" of the game perfected, but that just how life is. Better have a game to build off of than have none.

I don't know if anyone noticed the HUD in the recent trailers or lack-thereof. They're going for a minimalist view as far as that goes now.

Yes, it sucks that we might have to do work to get the "feel" of the game perfected, but that just how life is. Better have a game to build off of than have none.

Again, a matter of opinion.

The less HUD in a medieval/fantasy game the better for me.

We can all argue about the game being Crappy because its a port or we can go have another look at the full e3 trailer with an open mind. Worst things about it being a port? A possibley clunky ui, didn't Todd say he used btmod or something and want to base the PC ui on that. That the story and gameplay will be crud because they concentrate on the graphics too much? Im sorry what are you saying about the game being a port? That the graphics won't be optimized for pc. Well i think we just solved the issue of gameplay being cruddy they have another 5 months of gameplay work if the Xbox is the finished graphics. I could go on and solve every one of these petty arguements which you could solve if you stood back and looked at the evidence properly i would go on but i typing from my phone. Edited by runforitkyle

People that want to be enlightened should read this.

It says the truth, and the truth only.

The future game developers will always start on PC, and either end on PC or console or both.

No matter what, it is impossible for PC gaming to die.

As stated in my previous post, PC community = future game developers, and the future of gaming.

I am hoping to be one of those future game developers. I am going to school for just that right now...

People that want to be enlightened should read this.

It says the truth, and the truth only.

The future game developers will always start on PC, and either end on PC or console or both.

No matter what, it is impossible for PC gaming to die.

As stated in my previous post, PC community = future game developers, and the future of gaming.

I am hoping to be one of those future game developers. I am going to school for just that right now...

So do I my friend, good luck!

Again, a matter of opinion.

The less HUD in a medieval/fantasy game the better for me.

The part about the HUD wasn't an opinion, it's a fact....

They had a compass at the top of the screen active at all times and that's all. Health and such only appears when needed. That is a minimalistic view. This is exactly what you're saying you wanted in the Heads Up Display. I'm not referring to menus.

The other part is pretty much saying better to have a game than not have one. Are you saying you'd rather not have the game? This is not me asking if you think the game they're giving you is one you'd like or if you think it's finished.